You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jul 22, 2017 8:11 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Back home....

I got back from Europe last night.  I spent two weeks in Switzerland and France.  I stayed in a Swiss farming community, visited apartment Einstein lived in in Bern, spent a couple of nights in Paris, saw the Normandy D-Day invasion sites and followed the footsteps of the men from my town during the Battle of St. Quentin Canal in October 1918.   I saw the Bayeux Tapestry, saw the the Amien Cathedral that supposedly has the head of John the Baptist as a holy relic and visited my other historic sites.   All in all, a pretty good trip.  I will try to post a few photos later.

#2 Jul 22, 2017 8:39 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Back home....

Real Distwalker wrote:

I got back from Europe last night.  I spent two weeks in Switzerland and France.  I stayed in a Swiss farming community, visited apartment Einstein lived in in Bern, spent a couple of nights in Paris, saw the Normandy D-Day invasion sites and followed the footsteps of the men from my town during the Battle of St. Quentin Canal in October 1918.   I saw the Bayeux Tapestry, saw the the Amien Cathedral that supposedly has the head of John the Baptist as a holy relic and visited my other historic sites.   All in all, a pretty good trip.  I will try to post a few photos later.

Send the pictures. I had planned a trip to the France, using Carry le Rouet as my base. I wanted to see St. Paul de Vance, Arles and   Avignon . I also wanted to spend 4 days in Paris. I had to cancel the damned thing!! I m going to plan the same trip in January.  I see you stayed on Normandy. That should have been a very interesting experience.

#3 Jul 22, 2017 8:48 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Normandy was beautiful.  It is still very much a rural farming area with cattle and stone barns and ancient manor houses.  Of course all of this is flavored by the horrendous combat of 1944.

#4 Jul 22, 2017 8:50 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

OHHO, you were on holiday.  Ah was wondering, if you blank us?

If you doh want to post pictures, that is you damn business. Let Kaiso, spend  her money to get pics.  Then again if you want to post pics, it will be sweet.

Just to let you know, since you been gone also hist, the shop has been dead.

Last edited by Slice (Jul 22, 2017 9:13 am)

#5 Jul 22, 2017 8:51 am

Calypso
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Normandy was beautiful.  It is still very much a rural farming area with cattle and stone barns and ancient manor houses.  Of course all of this is flavored by the horrendous combat of 1944.

There's this little French girl at the school where work-- an exquisite little thing. She says. " Don't go the Normandy because it rains a lot." I supposed the rain is good for farming.

#6 Jul 22, 2017 9:51 am

Real Distwalker
Active

It rained just a bit while we were there and was overcast.  Still pretty.   I will post photos in a bit.

#7 Jul 22, 2017 10:44 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

It rained just a bit while we were there and was overcast.  Still pretty.   I will post photos in a bit.

There is a theme then. I got absolutely drenched.... but in fairness we were at the British end of the Normandy Landings at the time, so I guess it was to be expected. Omaha etc were bright and Sunny.

I was a little underwhelmed by the bayuex (sp) tapestry, not so much by the content, but by the rapid format transition along it, overcrowded, and on occasions difficult to see what was embroidered due to the crowd.  conveyer belt did not come close.

Just finished watching Netflix "5 came back", and some of the highlighted films from those directors. Having done the beaches, the museums, and the Cemeteries it kind of rounded it all off.

#8 Jul 22, 2017 11:03 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I went from St. Mere Eglise to Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword so I saw them all.

I had been seeing the Bayeux Tapestry all my life.  It was pretty cool just to be in the presence of such an important piece.  I was impressed.  In fact, we drove 40 miles out of our way to see it.

The most intense part of my trip was driving my rental car across Paris.  Wow.  That was an experience for this farm boy.

#9 Jul 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Expat
Active

Yep, myself and cousin did the lot as well a couple of years ago.

I guess you got a photo of the parachutist hanging off the tower.

Driving through Paris should have been a piece of ... for a guy when they drive on the same wrong side of the road as you.

I had a crash course in wrong side driving a few decades back when I dropped off a nephew at Charles De Gaulle, and then went into Paris for an unprepared visit. No Maps on hand, very poor understanding of the language... just a duck out of water.

Fortunately there was no crash. But getting out onto the periferique (sp) to head back towards the UK was not helped by an unhelpful French cop.All I got was Non! as he fondled his machine gun.

#10 Jul 22, 2017 5:51 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Private John Steele?  Of course.  As a former member of the 82nd Airborne, Sainte-Mère-Église is like a pilgrimage!

RGS11260.jpg

Board footer