You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jul 24, 2017 7:11 am

Slice
Active

NOW THERE IS RESEARCH, THAT THIS OIL IS FAR SUPERIOR.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownershi … id=DELLDHP

But it is far more expensive.  In one of  my cars that kind of Oil change cost $150.00.  The other $74.00.  Going from an average of $24.00 for an Oil change to those crazy prices.

#2 Jul 24, 2017 11:54 am

Expat
Active

Re: NOW THERE IS RESEARCH, THAT THIS OIL IS FAR SUPERIOR.

Slice wrote:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownershi … id=DELLDHP

But it is far more expensive.  In one of  my cars that kind of Oil change cost $150.00.  The other $74.00.  Going from an average of $24.00 for an Oil change to those crazy prices.

I am not seeing quite how you correlate those figures. The labour remains the same, and the oils is rougly 50-100% more expensive.

BUT.... you can go longer in between services, AND as Synthetic oil is more slippery you will save on fuel costs.... so ultimately you aint losing nothing, and the engine will definitely live longer.

I have been using the stuff for years.

#3 Jul 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Slice
Active

Ok for an Oil change in some cases, you could get a regular Oil change for $19.85.  I usually go back to the Toyota Dealer and that was for the most $35.00.  Now of course, it is now 10,000 miles before the Oil change.  Ok now ah see got it.  It is about the same.  I was not thinking the 5,000 mile as compared to 10,000.

#4 Jul 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Benedict
Active

I only use synthetic oil in my vehicle. Either mobile1 or castrol edge. For us up north,it make for easier starting in winter plus all the other benefits. I normally change the oil and filter the same time when changing  my tires . That is around end of October and the beginning of May. Depending on the type of winter we have.

#5 Jul 24, 2017 2:22 pm

houston
Active

I go to the Jiffy Lube joints, fifteen minutes and it's done. No way am I having my vehicle tied up for half a day, a quickie is just fine.
They always push the synthetic oil but I say forget it. Have driven the same vehicle for 12 years with no engine problems. Regular oil lubricates as well as a synthetic oil.
El Cheapo stretches out the oil change for as long as can be. Amazing how long a car can chug along when you don't adhere to the owners manual.

#6 Jul 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Benedict
Active

El Cheapo can you imagine how long it would last if you did adhere to the manual.

#7 Jul 25, 2017 7:08 am

Slice
Active

houston wrote:

I go to the Jiffy Lube joints, fifteen minutes and it's done. No way am I having my vehicle tied up for half a day, a quickie is just fine.
They always push the synthetic oil but I say forget it. Have driven the same vehicle for 12 years with no engine problems. Regular oil lubricates as well as a synthetic oil.
El Cheapo stretches out the oil change for as long as can be. Amazing how long a car can chug along when you don't adhere to the owners manual.

I follow the owners Manuel to ah T.  I do not and can't  deviate, especially when insurance is involved.

#8 Jul 25, 2017 10:54 am

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

Dudsky/El foolish..,:)

Synthetics are super slippy compared to regular oil, which is why at one time they recommended running in the engine with regular oil for 500 miles, and THEN changing over to synthetic, as the super slippy oil didn't allow the parts to bed in.  Now I believe they say what the hell, it beds in when it beds in.... US Synthetic from the get go.

There is as far as I know no downside to Synth, but a wrecked engine is a downside with regular oil.

Old oil comes out Black, Synthetic comes out dark honey coloured after 12 months or more.

I's like saying... I am ok with an Abacus, why would I bother with a calculator.

#9 Jul 25, 2017 11:03 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I agree with everything Expat said in this thread. smile

#10 Jul 25, 2017 3:42 pm

houston
Active

Expat wrote:
houston wrote:

Dudsky/El foolish..,:)

Synthetics are super slippy compared to regular oil, which is why at one time they recommended running in the engine with regular oil for 500 miles, and THEN changing over to synthetic, as the super slippy oil didn't allow the parts to bed in.  Now I believe they say what the hell, it beds in when it beds in.... US Synthetic from the get go.

There is as far as I know no downside to Synth, but a wrecked engine is a downside with regular oil.

Old oil comes out Black, Synthetic comes out dark honey coloured after 12 months or more.

I's like saying... I am ok with an Abacus, why would I bother with a calculator.

I think "Eric the car guy" nailed it. If the engine has a few miles and has been running with conventional oil, why pay the added expense for synthetic?

Board footer