You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Jul 25, 2017 4:53 pm

houston
Active

Re: NOW THERE IS RESEARCH, THAT THIS OIL IS FAR SUPERIOR.

houston wrote:
Expat wrote:
houston wrote:

I go to the Jiffy Lube joints, fifteen minutes and it's done. No way am I having my vehicle tied up for half a day, a quickie is just fine.
They always push the synthetic oil but I say forget it. Have driven the same vehicle for 12 years with no engine problems. Regular oil lubricates as well as a synthetic oil.
El Cheapo stretches out the oil change for as long as can be. Amazing how long a car can chug along when you don't adhere to the owners manual.

Dudsky/El foolish..,:)

Synthetics are super slippy compared to regular oil, which is why at one time they recommended running in the engine with regular oil for 500 miles, and THEN changing over to synthetic, as the super slippy oil didn't allow the parts to bed in.  Now I believe they say what the hell, it beds in when it beds in.... US Synthetic from the get go.

There is as far as I know no downside to Synth, but a wrecked engine is a downside with regular oil.

Old oil comes out Black, Synthetic comes out dark honey coloured after 12 months or more.

I's like saying... I am ok with an Abacus, why would I bother with a calculator.

I think "Eric the car guy" nailed it. If the engine has a few miles and has been running with conventional oil, why pay the added expense for synthetic?

Big oil lawyers knockin on Erics door.

#12 Jul 26, 2017 10:48 am

Expat
Active

houston wrote:
houston wrote:
Expat wrote:

Dudsky/El foolish..,:)

Synthetics are super slippy compared to regular oil, which is why at one time they recommended running in the engine with regular oil for 500 miles, and THEN changing over to synthetic, as the super slippy oil didn't allow the parts to bed in.  Now I believe they say what the hell, it beds in when it beds in.... US Synthetic from the get go.

There is as far as I know no downside to Synth, but a wrecked engine is a downside with regular oil.

Old oil comes out Black, Synthetic comes out dark honey coloured after 12 months or more.

I's like saying... I am ok with an Abacus, why would I bother with a calculator.

I think "Eric the car guy" nailed it. If the engine has a few miles and has been running with conventional oil, why pay the added expense for synthetic?

Cos it will still enhance the engines lifespan, and save you gas money?

#13 Jul 26, 2017 4:55 pm

houston
Active

Expat wrote:
houston wrote:
houston wrote:

Cos it will still enhance the engines lifespan, and save you gas money?

u   

Agreed. Have no doubt synthetic is better, but, depending on the application.
Also agree with car guy, no need to spend money unnecessarily. Regular oil maintenance is the key, no mater what type of oil.
I was poking fun at owners manuals as they do tend to protect the manufacturer more so than the consumer. Yes, following a manufacturers manual and advise is probably best practice.
Vehicles are fascinating things these days. At 50 grand a pop they should be. That thing in the driveway spies on us. Knows who we are, where we have been, where we are going and every time we went over the speed limit or made a faulty lane change. That's another conversation and another bone of contention.

#14 Jul 26, 2017 5:21 pm

houston
Active

Sorry about the u, it accidentally got placed there Expat.

#15 Jul 27, 2017 9:42 am

Expat
Active

I would make a small correction to something I wrote.

I said there was no downside to Fully Synth.

This was incorrect.

Due to its better cleaning and lubricating abilities it can creep out of your engine and drip all over the road if your engine has already been degraded by that cheep oil, or drip on your drive. While the tar in your sump with regular oil wouldn't, or at least will not leak as plentifully.

Now if you prefer to have a less lubricating tar in your sump than a penetrating cleaning slippery lubricant.  Absolutely your choice. Up to the point it is finding routes other than the sump plug to escape it is beneficial.  Some people prefer the snap crack and pop that you get with vinyl disks. Me I prefer to hear the music.

Your choice, your money, your repair bill.    :-)

Board footer