You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jul 28, 2017 10:15 am

Slice
Active

McCAIN LIVED UP TO HIS MAVRICK PERSONALITY

http://www.msn.com/?cobrand=dell13.msn. … CJS&inst=1

Great news for the American folks who depend on Obama care.

#2 Jul 28, 2017 12:38 pm

gripe
Active

Re: McCAIN LIVED UP TO HIS MAVRICK PERSONALITY

Understanding McCain can be tricky: he can be strong and true to his words and he can also act inconsistent with what he says. Early this morning he was the former (true to his words) and Republicans, supportive of the repeal of Obamacare, took a painful gut blow from McCain.  Obamacare beneficiaries can now see McCain front and center in appreciation for the survival of Obamacare.

#3 Jul 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Obamacare repeal was possible before the 2012 election but after the benefits started flowing, well, that was all she wrote. Trump ran on a platform that was little more than Obamacare 2.0.

The only way that Obamacare gets replaced is by waiting for it to collapse. That’s what happens now: The slow, ugly, costly, disruptive collapse of Obama’s signature legislation.

It seems obvious to me that McCain fell on his sword. He has terminal brain cancer and knows he will be dead soon. He also knew that a hell of a lot of Republican Senators wanted to vote ‘no’ on a fucked up bill that would save and permanently entrench Obamacare and put that mantle of that ugly beast on the shoulders of the GOP.

McCain took the bullet so that every other Republican who wanted to vote no could vote yes and save face with their clueless constituents.

McCain doesn’t give a shit if anyone recognizes this or cares; he is dead soon. Still, I think it was a pretty decent thing to do.

#4 Jul 28, 2017 1:35 pm

Slice
Active

Funny, but  we agree on something, that is political.  BTW Obama care is not in danger of collapsing.  It need  some adjustment, but it is not in danger.

#5 Jul 28, 2017 1:36 pm

Slice
Active

gripe wrote:

Understanding McCain can be tricky: he can be strong and true to his words and he can also act inconsistent with what he says. Early this morning he was the former (true to his words) and Republicans, supportive of the repeal of Obamacare, took a painful gut blow from McCain.  Obamacare beneficiaries can now see McCain front and center in appreciation for the survival of Obamacare.

I also think the governor of his state maybe had something to do with his vote.

#6 Jul 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Funny, but  we agree on something, that is political.  BTW Obama care is not in danger of collapsing.  It need  some adjustment, but it is not in danger.

I think the process is in a slow death spiral.... which is unfortunate, as much of what was in it was good and beneficial.

Had the Reps not spent all their time being anti everything that emanated from Obama, I am pretty sure a better balanced deal could have been struck before Obamacare became legislation.

As it it, it is flawed.... even Obama would say so. Now instead of trying to rip up and destroy something that was likely to benefit millions more than was previously the case the Reps should stop with the crash and burn tactic, and make sensible compromises so the Dems don't have to defend Obamacare to the hilt.

It is just a question of balance.

Both sides have some good ideas, they just need to be on the same piece of paper at the same time.

Board footer