You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Aug 05, 2017 8:05 pm

Expat
Active

Re: I AM HOPING IN THE COMING MONTHS, I COULD RETIRE.

Slice wrote:

There ent no doubt, that work can be very rewarding, but as one gets ah bit older and the Younger folks are being hired, it is time to move to hell out.  Some of the new folks in authority irritates the hell outa me.  One I have to go to her office almost daily and educate her.  She has no clue about most things, still she is someone in authority.  That drives me crazy.  It is time for me to get too hell out.

After 36 years with one company, ah gone.  Lord ah hope and prayer the boss doh ask me to hang on.  One already ask, for six months. I ent answer him yet.

>> I have to go to her office almost daily and educate her.<<

No you don't.

Decency demands you help people who are struggling, or new, even if they are over your pay grade, but if they are considered better able to do the job you didn't get.... don't educate them. Its like you are unscrewing your leg and kicking yourself with it.

#12 Aug 06, 2017 6:31 am

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I am far from at the top of the state rankings.  Work is rewarding.  I don't know what else to do.

Agree with you there mate, I tried retirement, I got bored!

#13 Aug 06, 2017 9:05 am

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:

Who knows,

I got triple screwed, the Pound nosedived thanks to the Banking fiasco... Screw one.

This fricked the Annuity business just as I was committed to taking early retirement.... Screw two.

Brexit punched the pound into freefall.... where does most of my spendings come from... The fricked UK.... screw 3, or bluntly..... screw me.

Hey buddy , can you spare a dime.

So ah also know that you have some kinda income, from the Spicland.  They way you talk sometime folks will take you ketcing you arse, but that is not the case.

The dummies in here focus on me and there are three folks in the shop, that are doing very very well.  Now ah wonder what ah did and say that have folks in here focus on me?

#14 Aug 06, 2017 10:12 am

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

I bet it was more than just bored.  I bet you felt like you riding in the wagon rather than pulling it.  That's what I hate when I am not working.  I have to be productive.  I have to be a contributor.  I have to feel like my existence is a net benefit, not a net liability.

Don't take that as an insult retired people.  I am not judging.  I am just explaining my compulsion to be productive,

#15 Aug 06, 2017 5:27 pm

New Historian
Active

I'd wake up sometimes and say: I've got nothing to do today! There's only so much writing and stuff you can do lol. What I do like doing is consulting and working on my own timetable. That way I can get some sailing in!

#16 Aug 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:
Expat wrote:

Who knows,

I got triple screwed, the Pound nosedived thanks to the Banking fiasco... Screw one.

This fricked the Annuity business just as I was committed to taking early retirement.... Screw two.

Brexit punched the pound into freefall.... where does most of my spendings come from... The fricked UK.... screw 3, or bluntly..... screw me.

Hey buddy , can you spare a dime.

So ah also know that you have some kinda income, from the Spicland.  They way you talk sometime folks will take you ketcing you arse, but that is not the case.

The dummies in here focus on me and there are three folks in the shop, that are doing very very well.  Now ah wonder what ah did and say that have folks in here focus on me?

Now unless you were in a different parallel Universe, unless you are a Senior Manager, Governor General, or have been fortunate enough to inherit half of Grenada due to your Granpappys investments.... or maybe a suitcase to spare. The vast majority of people in Grenada are living on peanuts. What I reap from activities in Grenada couldn't keep my head above water for more than a couple of days, it is play money. My UK revenue was what made things possible, and for around a year it has been roughly 25% less due to crap exchange rates.  Take 25% off your salary and see how you like it. When I did my retirement calculations I allowed for 18% off the pre Brexit figure, which was reasonable due to historical exchange rates. That took me down to about $4 to the Pound. Then Brexit took it down to just over $3 to the pound after bank charges for a long long time.  So instead of pulling say 4500 or 9000 a month it is now 3200 or 6400 do those examples make you understand what might be making me tense about finances? Give or take that's around 20,000 less per year.... might that make you catch yourself?

Your money comes from the States, or will do. Your rate is pegged, exchange fluctuations won't matter, only what the inflation rate is. Me I have crap exchange rate, and like everyone else ... rising prices.

#17 Aug 07, 2017 6:40 am

Slice
Active

I know and understand, how difficult life can be in Grenada.  I also know that many Grenadians are ketching their Royal ARSE, but the most important thing is that you are making it work.  Sometimes it is not about the money, but really piece of mind.

If you tink for one moment ah doh have me doubts, you are mistaken.  Sometimes ah wonder what the hell ah do.  Sometimes ah even wonder why the hell ah bought ah house in Grenada?  I am still confuse.  But ah pleasing wife, being ah Trini, she always wanted to retire in Grenada.  Ah just went with flow.

#18 Aug 07, 2017 6:44 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
New Historian wrote:

I bet it was more than just bored.  I bet you felt like you riding in the wagon rather than pulling it.  That's what I hate when I am not working.  I have to be productive.  I have to be a contributor.  I have to feel like my existence is a net benefit, not a net liability.

Don't take that as an insult retired people.  I am not judging.  I am just explaining my compulsion to be productive,

I work every day in me life since ah was 16.  I am not sure, how things will work, but ah taking ah leap.  I think my number one reason for retiring is, the work place is changing and I am not sure, if I can make that adjustment.  I am as stubborn as ah ole mule and hate compromise most times; so, it is best for me to go my way.

#19 Aug 07, 2017 8:44 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I suggest you find some kind of volunteer work when you get there.  Just a day or two a week.  Otherwise you might just fade away. smile

#20 Aug 07, 2017 10:11 am

Slice
Active

Remember I will not be leaving there.  I will spend my time between America and Grenada.  every winter ah gone.  America spoil me, I ent ready to let go just yet.

Here is me problem, I am not prepared to give Grown men and women ah hand out.  Rather than giving them ah dasheen, I will teach them how to grow dasheen.

This is why if all goes well I am not sure what I am going to do.   My plan is to do some kinda Community Service. Maybe working with children or old folks.  Ah just doh know.

Last edited by Slice (Aug 07, 2017 10:12 am)

Board footer