You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Aug 02, 2017 4:59 pm

gripe
Active

Kushner's Harvard Admission: Affirmative Action or Influence?

These are some choice quotes:

"Of course few will be surprised that Kushner’s father, Charles Kushner, a wealthy and connected developer and political donor, helped him get in. But the details of just how that happened, described in Daniel Golden’s thoroughly reported 2007 book The Price of Admission, remain remarkable to this day.

What Golden found, essentially, was that Jared’s father handed Harvard (a school he did not attend) a big pile of money just as Jared was starting to apply to colleges. Around the same time, Jared’s dad got his US senator to contact another US senator to arrange a chat with Harvard’s dean of admissions.

Happily for the Kushner family, Jared was then admitted. But several officials at Jared’s high school outright told Golden that they found the choice puzzling, since his grades and academic record really didn’t seem to merit it:"

Access this link https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics … ive-action to read more about how Kushner got into Harvard.

#2 Aug 03, 2017 9:00 am

Slice
Active

Re: Kushner's Harvard Admission: Affirmative Action or Influence?

gripe, I think this is the same way the Younger Bush got in.  Money talks, BULLSHEET WALKS.

Leh me ask you something, if you have money and influence, would you do the same for you child?  I ent even thinking, I will.

#3 Aug 03, 2017 10:49 am

gripe
Active

Slice, my answer to your question is: "No!" Merit and integrity mean a lot to me. You enter a place of no return when you view life from the perspective that you can do what you want to get what you want. That attitude would not excuse murder if that is required for the person to get what they want. Not me! I cannot be a disciple of that outrageous way of seeing the world and dealing with our fellow human beings. Not me!

#4 Aug 03, 2017 10:59 am

Slice
Active

You know ah consider meself ah very honest person, with money and influence, I will anything for my children.  After all if they waste it and become nothing.  I ent lost much anyway, cause ah have plenty money.

#5 Aug 03, 2017 12:06 pm

gripe
Active

Slice, an idea: Grenada, your parish for example, could benefit from some of your "plenty money" after you take care of your children.

#6 Aug 03, 2017 12:44 pm

Slice
Active

What did you say?  Did you really say I have plenty money?  You have got to be playing.  Way ah get monies from? gripe please allyu stops this MADNESS.  There are about four folks in here that I know about that got plenty money and I am not one of them.  Ah just finish almost totally building ah house in Grenada.  Way the hell ah get money from?

Ah only have one child he is 21.

Last edited by Slice (Aug 03, 2017 12:45 pm)

#7 Aug 04, 2017 12:58 am

gripe
Active

Slice, I stand corrected on the amount of your wealth/net worth, etc. Still, if you have some dollars left think Grenada. In fact, all Grenadians should think about contributing to a national fund to help development projects at home.

#8 Aug 04, 2017 7:06 am

Slice
Active

This is something ah have advocating for years.  I can't understand why someone that can be trusted don't come up with ah plan asking Grenadians who are abroad and doing OK to contribute towards the rebuilding of Grenada.

My dear cousin (Birds) and his wife, have a project in Grenada, every so often they would pack their vehicle and go to a parish in Grenada, and give food and cloths to the folks that are less fortunate.  I am not sure if I love it, but for now I will be ah willing participant.

Half of the stuff I am taking to Grenada, will be for them.

Last edited by Slice (Aug 04, 2017 7:06 am)

#9 Aug 04, 2017 9:50 am

gripe
Active

First, your cousin and his wife need to be commended for their selfless efforts (even though they may shy away from any public recognition of their contributions). You getting on board with them, in your small way, is a plus.

Second, the suggestion of having some organized way for Grenadians to contribute monetarily -- separate from remittances -- to the country's development should not be a difficult plan to put in place. Yet, it is puzzling that it has not been done and makes me scratch my head and you to question "why someone that can be trusted don't come up with ah plan" to do so. One idea is for an arrangement such as the establishment of a National Development Account (NDA) to be opened in one of the banks so that Grenadians could, anonymously if they choose, make deposits. Again, those deposits are for the country's development! Such a move should be done by appropriate legislation that would also address management of the NDA through strict regulations with, for example, stiff penalties for mismanagement and theft.

#10 Aug 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Slice
Active

This will take plenty work and also planning.  I attended a meeting with the NDC top brass sometime ago, and we pushed that idea.  We got favorable answers, but it went not ah place.

A group of us, gave tons of money to the NDC.  we paid someone from the DC area to go down to Grenada and hand it over to the NDC.  As Mr Paul reported he barely got ah thank you.  Needless to say, that sunk all the donors heart and swear, this is the last time, we were going to be nice.

Some of us really want to help, but we are very scared.  I have ah PADNAH in the Baltimore area,  He is ah Civil engineer and doing well for himself, (he is an extalkshopper, td )  He took it on his own and decided to help schools in Grenada.  I think every few months he send all kinda stuff to the Grenville Schools.  I use to help, but it has been awhile since I send my contribution.

gripe come up with the plan and leh me know.

Board footer