You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Aug 04, 2017 11:41 am

Slice
Active

THIS VIDEO IS REAL SWEET.

Ah was kinda trying to rate all the 2017 Soca Videos from Grenada.  Then I came across this video and it completely blow me away.

The women in this video are not forcing to whine, it comes naturally, they are loose and entertaining. Everything about this video is fun.  That video I can watch over and over and over again.

Luni Sparks and Electrify are full out and make even ah 80 year ole want to get from his or her Wheel chair and dance.

you could see this was professionally done.

What a treat to watch.

#2 Aug 04, 2017 11:48 am

Calypso
Active

Re: THIS VIDEO IS REAL SWEET.

Slice wrote:

Ah was kinda trying to rate all the 2017 Soca Videos from Grenada.  Then I came across this video and it completely blow me away.

The women in this video are not forcing to whine, it comes naturally, they are loose and entertaining. Everything about this video is fun.  That video I can watch over and over and over again.

Luni Sparks and Electrify are full out and make even ah 80 year ole want to get from his or her Wheel chair and dance.

you could see this was professionally done.

What a treat to watch.

It's rough and raw as a pirate in high seas.

#3 Aug 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Slice
Active

Your spin, I will take it.  Kaiso it is carnival, have some fun.

GADAAM, you that hard to please in the Bedroom?

#4 Aug 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Calypso
Active

Slice wrote:

Your spin, I will take it.  Kaiso it is carnival, have some fun.

GADAAM, you that hard to please in the Bedroom?

I am fifty three years old and is not attracted to such rubbish!! Leave it for the younger generation.

#5 Aug 04, 2017 4:41 pm

gripe
Active

I agree with Calypso.

Slice, the soca/calypso product must be quality that could push the country forward. To do that, rhythm is one thing, but vulgarity is way unnecessary. I don't know why it is that "it is carnival, have some fun" should mean be vulgar (the dancers, male and female) or be of limited social value in terms of the subject of the calypso (the song itself).

To be fair, Grenadians should be proud that there have been marked improvements in recent calypso productions compared to years past. That improvement is represented, in one way, by the greater number of calypsonians (male and female) that have emerged over the years. Another improvement is that today's Grenadian calypsonians have better musical compositions than those before them. It is so great to see that they have blended, very creatively, local traditional rhythms from the "Jab, Jab", etc., into their calypsos. Those improvements must be commended!

But, there is no room for the outrageous calypso that also will not last beyond the period of the calypso's life, only the carnival season.

For full disclosure, I have family roots in the history of Grenada's calypsonians. None of the 3 members of my family stooped so low to sing calypsos like the selection in the video. (The fact that we are in a different era is not a valid excuse for the video display.) Rather, my relatives' selections addressed social issues with lyrics that touched many. One family member's calypso is, in fact, a national treasure! 

So, understand, Slice, my objections to raw and unnecessary vulgar calypsos even for a controlled period of a carnival season. I may as well head for the beach, find a quiet place, if the display from the video is what would overwhelming be sold to Grenadians and visitors for carnival.

(I should add: to each, his/her own!)

#6 Aug 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Expat
Active

I expect to be in the minority, and that is OK.

Being stuck in a time warp, I cannot bring myself to travel through the worm hole that would bring to spend time listening to this rubbish.

It is marginally better than Jab Jab music which is the the most repetitive jarring dumbest crap I have ever heard.

So no I will not be going to Juvet.

Board footer