You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Aug 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Slice
Active

THIS VIDEO, KINDA GOOD BUT TOO AMAERICAN

Me nephew who is into soca really loves this one.  It is not in my top ten, but because he loves it so much, I am going to give it an honorable mention.  It is not Carnival like.  It is just too tame.

It is well done and looks and sounds great.

#2 Aug 10, 2017 10:10 pm

Expat
Active

Re: THIS VIDEO, KINDA GOOD BUT TOO AMAERICAN

I would have quicker called that "Fusion" it seems almost to be a different genre to me.

The clip below is not a Brilliant example, but at least you can feel the rhythm and follow a melody, what you posted is ..... lost.

#3 Aug 10, 2017 10:54 pm

Expat
Active

Then there are the classics.... which had me dancing the night away at the Tobacco Factory in Trinidad like

Sugar bum bum

And Say Say

Just For Slice some slack coolie waist.   No wonder they are so good at populating then World.... smile

And  Sparrow from the era

Lordy, I juss starting to remember how even a likkle white bwoy used to get on an wind he waisss, now it's pain killers and massage.... smile  How we become is not so we was.

#4 Aug 11, 2017 7:16 am

Slice
Active

I am sure, I am going to enjoy every bit of your ole music, and trust me sometime soon ah listen to everyone of them.  Ah just love me ole time music, but oh GOSH man ah have to hold on to some new music too.  Praying and hoping for the day when soca  will be on America top ten.

Remember ah only listen to Soca, country and ah tiny bit ah reggae.  Bob, Tosh, and those likes.

I maybe have all ah sparrow CDs.

#5 Aug 11, 2017 9:34 am

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

I am sure, I am going to enjoy every bit of your ole music, and trust me sometime soon ah listen to everyone of them.  Ah just love me ole time music, but oh GOSH man ah have to hold on to some new music too.  Praying and hoping for the day when soca  will be on America top ten.

Remember ah only listen to Soca, country and ah tiny bit ah reggae.  Bob, Tosh, and those likes.

I maybe have all ah sparrow CDs.

The issue for me was not whether it was new music ...... personally I would have said it was a bit mediocre, but that it was so far away from the rhythm and clarity of the break away from Kaiso the new boy Soca which came into being when I was learning about Caribbean culture.

I am saying you can call it what you like.... it just doesn't seem to be the same genre as Soca.  Maybe the informed will say.... that is what Soca has evolved into... I would say... what a shame.

#6 Aug 11, 2017 10:36 am

Slice
Active

But here is what gives me some kinda comfort, The Mighty sparrow said, soca must change, like everything else it must change, so it can survive.

Everything about you look modern, but LORD EXPAT, I thought I am bad, but  I think you are worst than me. You hate change.   Doh get me wrong ah doh like it, but ah pivot if I must, and only if ah must.

I just can't imagine you as ah White boy doing any kinda ah whinning.  Expat when ah use to party, it was so much fun  watching White folk try and dance.  Ah use to say, lord just looking at them gee me ah headache.

Then again ah probably the best Caribbean dancer in Baltimore.  Some folks men and women still call me TING IN THE WAIST.

One day ah was out me son and someone call you TING IN THE WAIST, and ah answer, me child look at me and ask dad why they call you dat?  I said ah long story, but my wife explain, why I am still called that name.

CAN"T get over Expat was ah dancer.  Lord did I read this right?

#7 Aug 11, 2017 5:25 pm

Expat
Active

Mr Man, back in the day I had trousers made which were cut to hang right when I was "waltzing".

I had me a hot piece a Trickadadian for 6 years that kept me on my toes in more ways than one. I learned to dance.

The hopping from foot to foot White dancers simply have not been exposed to, or paid enough attention to how people move. It is painful to watch. But then not all Black people have rhythm either. I have seen some pretty feeble Black dancers from time to time.

I used to be able to go down grind, and come back up no problem. Being tall it is harder to do than for a shorter person. Now I simply cannot do it as the muscles in my long skinny legs are too week to do the job. Plus having had two discs go, I am much stiffer than I used to be.

Many many acquaintances over the years have said Expat you a Black man with a white skin. Obviously they didn't say "Expat".... smile

I have been on the dark side now for around 45 years. You don't think I picked up a little something along the way?

As for change, there is evolution, sure, but when the result bears no resemblance to the original neither in melodic form, or rhythm it is not evolution it is a different genre. maybe it needs to be called sofSoca, or ModSoke, or some other title but it aint really Soca.

Rather like many modern pieces of Classical music horrific sounds with discords, and fumbling erratic melodies if you can call them that, compared to music up to maybe the middle of the last century, so it seems to be with what is laughingly called Soca at the moment, it is poorly written, repetitive, formulated, and could be created on any laptop if you had a little skill, and the right program. The public is being ripped off and laughed at by those that have the temerity to call themselves musicians. But then again what little effort they might put into their work is wasted by the Divas of the dances the DJ, who now instead of supporting the music replaces it talking bullshit while he uses bloody annoying sound effect over the music.  The whole thing is a downward spiral into insanity, all the while the youth leap and prance around in a drunken stupor..... all very sad.

Board footer