You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Aug 06, 2018 10:03 am

Dancer
Active

PATRIOTISM ..... RD ...... USA Today ..... and CHURCH

Patriotism ........ Quote.

......... is a superstition artificially created and maintained  through a network of lies and falsehoods ;  A superstition that robs a man of his  self-respect and dignity , and increases his arrogance and conceit. ......

Fake patriotism, fake president ... that's what I have been warning RD  about  over the years . Now in full view.

Have you noticed how RD has 'lost his voice ' after as he said he ' found the Lord'
I try to go to church on Sundays ( missed the last couple ) and I don't teach confirmation classes for new church joiners.
BUT  it should be understood . Being christian should be expansive , spread the word , speak the truth , pay attention to what's going on around you  , be a light in the darkness  . BUT  NO ; he is now dumb , admires  The Donald  like the JA and uses the word to pull a blanket over his head  like his VP and AG.

Where are you going straight to RD ?

I guess.        .............. one can only hope for love from the BIG  guy.     (sorry JA.... BIG guy )

#2 Aug 06, 2018 10:40 am

Expat
Active

Re: PATRIOTISM ..... RD ...... USA Today ..... and CHURCH

I don't know where you got that quote from, but most of it is a load of Bollcks.

>> is a superstition artificially created and maintained  through a network of lies and falsehoods;  A superstition that robs a man of his  self-respect and dignity<<

Total tosh.

>>and increases his arrogance and conceit.<<

The last portion may have a ring of truth to it.

#3 Aug 06, 2018 11:48 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Patriotism means different things to different people.  I am no nationalist.  My patriotism is around my home, my family, the land and the things that make me happy in my life.  I could just as easily feel the same things had I been born in another country.  I do love my place in the world and my way of life but I make to claim that it is superior to, say, Switzerland, Britain, Grenada or other such places.  I'd say it is superior to North Korea and Cuba but that isn't a matter of patriotism, it is a matter of common sense.

The image below is what my patriotism looks like.  It is personal to me.  The town in this painting is only a few miles from my home.  The image reminds me of my roots in Iowa and things that make me happy.  Those feelings come from different places for different people.

2805.jpg

For me patriotism has nothing to do with government.  I love my country but I fear my government.  Government is like fire, it is an important servant but it must be kept in control or it is a terrible master.

I suppose my faith has affected all of this but that is very complicated and hard to explain.

#4 Aug 06, 2018 3:33 pm

houston
Active

Interesting style of painting...Beautiful!

#5 Aug 06, 2018 3:48 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It is Grant Wood.  He was from my part of Iowa and painted it only about 20 miles from my house.  You are familiar with his work.  Here is his most famous painting: American Gothic.

Fun fact:  The models for that were his sister and his dentist.

I feel a bit of patriotism to go to the same school where Grant Wood once taught art.

800px-Grant_Wood_-_American_Gothic_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Aug 06, 2018 3:54 pm)

#6 Aug 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Dancer
Active

NO . I was just about to post  ... saying   the only thing missing was the couple with the pitchfork.
WTF. lol.

#7 Aug 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

You must have an eye for art.   Here is another Grant Wood: Stone City...

My wife grew up on a farm just five miles north of the site of this painting: Stone City, Iowa.

How many windmills do you see?

stone-city-iowa-1930.jpg!Large.jpg

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Aug 06, 2018 4:00 pm)

#8 Aug 06, 2018 5:33 pm

houston
Active

Those are fantastic, very unique. No I was not familiar with the name Grant Wood but will pay more attention now. Yes I recognize the couple with the pitch fork, a bit eerie that one.
The Group of Seven are known for their paintings of the Canadian landscape. Tom Thomson and A.Y. Jackson are two of my favourite artists.

Board footer