You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 11, 2018 9:22 am

Real Distwalker
Active

9/11

What to make of it 17 years later?  My son served in Iraq and Afghanistan as a Ranger.  He saw hard combat.  He has no regrets but certainly doesn't feel that he did anything about 9/11.  I supported my son and, therefore, supported his mission. 

War in Afghanistan continues under the third president.  Endless war is an abomination.  It is without purpose.

I don't know.  When you are attacked, you must respond.  But it seems we were wildly swinging roundhouse punches that connected with nothing but air.

More and more I realize that some problems just don't have solutions.

#2 Sep 11, 2018 10:21 am

Calypso
Active

Re: 9/11

Real Distwalker wrote:

What to make of it 17 years later?  My son served in Iraq and Afghanistan as a Ranger.  He saw hard combat.  He has no regrets but certainly doesn't feel that he did anything about 9/11.  I supported my son and, therefore, supported his mission. 

War in Afghanistan continues under the third president.  Endless war is an abomination.  It is without purpose.

I don't know.  When you are attacked, you must respond.  But it seems we were wildly swinging roundhouse punches that connected with nothing but air.

They will get us again eventually. We do not know which year, what time or on what day. Embrace yourself buddy!

#3 Sep 11, 2018 10:35 am

WH Man
Active

Proud of your son and his honorable service brother RD. Walked a similar road in another place at an earlier time.

That war is the nation's longest, with no apparent end in the near future. Yes, the mere existence of a problem is no proof of  the existence of a solution. While our leaders search for an end, with no apparent success, our brave military personnel pay the price.

In theory we have an optional solution. While we have the capacity to end this conflict in 48 hrs, the means necessary would be very impractical and inconsistent with geopolitical realities. There is no doubt in my mind we could convert Afghanistan into one huge parking lot in less than 48 hrs. But, wars should be avoided at all costs.

#4 Sep 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

So many of these conflicts are as the result of an own goal.

Vietnam was meant for the good, and the restriction of Communism, with little real understanding of the issues concerning North and South Vietnam. Foreign policy and understanding external cultures is not one of Americas strongest points. Followed by a succession of Presidents that kept the public in the dark, including Kennedy, and expanded into Cambodia without authorisation. It was a cluster fsk that cost hundreds of thousands of American lives and millions of South East Asians.

Bush Senior probably made a justified and sensible intrusion into Q8, and ended it when the mission was completed.

Baby Bush and Satan Blair via poor intelligence if we believe them started the disintegration of the Arab states removing an ex friend Sadaam a tyrant, and leaving a vacuum for Daesh to fill. Now its a country filled with fighting factions, and the rest of Islamic countries are poised to go into melt down because of these barbarous Islamists.I am not saying much of it wouldn't have happened eventually, but good intentions certainly paved the way to hell.

The only place where sensible balance could possibly end a long standing conflict is where Israel is choking the life out of the Palestinians, and America thinks it's OK. Perpetuating the resistance from the Palestinians, and the repeated atrocities and land grab of the Israeli.

As Calypso said, they will get you again, just as they are repeatedly getting other countries in small scale attacks. This may well be the way they go forward. The drip drip of fear that your supermarket may be the next one to be attacked for no apparent reason.

The war is really with the minds of the arseholes, not so much the insurgents. There is more hopes of getting a settlement with the Palestinians and the Jews than there is with a doctrine that has been perverted and fed to the gullible who become soldiers for the Islamic politicians with Daesh who have an agenda beyond simply establishing a State. Ridding the World of non Islamists, Muslims included will take time, but they will persist. You will buy into it, or you will die.

Last edited by Expat (Sep 11, 2018 12:21 pm)

#5 Sep 16, 2018 11:14 am

Dancer
Active

So someone mentioned 911 eh ?
I was watching Morning America , when the 1st plane crashed into the  WTC. I saw live the second one.
>> He has no regrets,but certainly doesn't feel he did anything about 911. <<
" because the wrong country was invaded "
>> I supported my son (like a Dad would ) and therefore I supported his mission  < <

""" Well   RD Americans were brainwashed  and feel the pain to this day  """
Question your Govt. That's the role of the citizen. ITS not RUSSIA. lol.

Last edited by Dancer (Sep 16, 2018 11:21 am)

#6 Sep 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I have been questioning my government for years.

#7 Sep 16, 2018 5:47 pm

gripe
Active

RD, I sense your genuine frustrations with where the US is on trying to end the nightmare that is Afghanistan. Indeed, "Endless war is an abomination."

WH Man, I noticed that you twice mentioned in your comments how easy it would be for the US to decimate Afghanistan, for example, "convert Afghanistan into one huge parking lot in less than 48 hrs." You did also say that "wars should be avoided at all costs." But, I did not see you mention some way, some strategy, to achieve peace (even though I realize that you may not have the power to implement policies to achieve a peaceful end to the conflict.) 

We all should be pushing for a solution that says Afghanistan will be fully independent and would receive help in reconstructing the devastation that has occurred for the 17 years thus far. That should require sincere negotiations among all affected parties. The next 3-5 years should be the deadline for achieving that result with pull out of all US and foreign troops as a key requirement.

At this point, though, many of us are just helpless seeing the Afghanistan nightmare grow old day after day, night after night.

We should take some courage in the solutions offered in a recent report, found here: https://www.afghanistan-analysts.org/ho … -on-peace/ Here are some excerpts:

"A new short book-length report, “Incremental peace in Afghanistan” looks at what is needed to end the Afghan conflict. It explores the many drivers towards the war continuing – external backing for both sides, the war economy and basic persisting disputes about power-sharing – but also details what could drive a peace process – the many concerns shared by Afghans, the view of the war as pointless and, they say, international interest in achieving peace. The new report has an interesting mix of contributors – female, male, Afghan and international, civilians, Taleban, activists, politicians, academics and military. In this review, AAN Co-Director Kate Clark finds the report is timely and full of fresh voices and ideas."

"Talk of peace in Afghanistan is in the air, at least more than it was a year ago. 2018 has seen the Taleban publishing a “Letter to the American people” on 14 February which appeared to propose talks with the US (1) and on 28 February President Ashraf Ghani offered peace talks to the Taleban without pre-conditions (read AAN’s take on that here). Positive noises came from the NATO’s Foreign Ministers meeting on 27 April (2) and from Resolute Support and United States military commander in Afghanistan, General John Nicholson on 30 May. As Radio Free Europe reported, he said some Taleban are talking, with a lot of “diplomatic activity and dialogue… occurring off the stage, and… at multiple levels,” with “mid-level, senior-level Taliban leaders engaging with Afghans” (full text of his press briefing here)."

#8 Sep 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Expat
Active

The Afghan region has been at war one way and another for a very very long time. My Father was part of the British Army fighting in the Kyber Pass region from places that are now part of Pakistan, but were at that time India. Circa 1920ish.

Board footer