You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 21, 2018 11:53 am

New Historian
Active

Greetings from the grave

It was the summer holidays and a bunch of boys were at my neighbour's house on Camplin Road in Kenton, bored witless.

"I know, let's play Ouija!" some bright spark suggested. I was a bit leery, I wasn't particularly superstitious but I didn't see any good reason to go poking around in places where you didn't know what lurked therein. To no avail, I was outvoted and we duly set up the dining room table for Ouija: cutting out letters and numbers and placing them in a circle around an upturned glass. We all placed our little fingers on the glass: "Alright, no shoving it now!" Yeah sure.

"Is there anyone there?" we started with the usual palaver, all of us giggling and shoving the glass. So we all then lightly touched the upturned bottom of the glass with just the tips of our little fingers, making it harder for one person to move the glass. It still moved, wondering aimlessly around the circle as we peppered it with the usual nonsensical questions. Then someone asked:

"Who is this?" It slowly spelled out:

A...M...B...R...O...S...E

Whoa! Mrs. Ambrose was an old lady who'd lived in a small council flat at the end of the road, it was an upstairs flat and she had trouble getting down and up, so I used to often do errands for her like go down to the shops and such. I had just returned from a year in the States, and when I got back I found out that she'd died while I was away. Poor old lady had no family to speak of.

This was getting serious! We all had known Mrs. Ambrose, and we nervously looked at each other: "This isn't funny you lot - stop pushing the glass!" To firm denials around the table, and in fact it was pretty difficult for one person to push it, I know because I tried.

"Is there anyone here you don't like?" someone asked. There could and would be only one answer to that question: Teddy Gromniki. Teddy was a germ of a boy who lived in the council flats along Kingsbury Road, and in addition to being a terror to the neighbourhood cats (ever heard of "moggie swinging"? You don't want to), he used to regularly tease Mrs. Ambrose, calling her names as he'd ride past on his bike.

T...E...D

Teddy chuckled nervously, and before he could say anything someone else asked:

"Can you show us how you don't like him?"

WOOSH! The glass flew from underneath our collective pinkie fingers, across the table and hit Teddy on the chest, then fell to the floor where it broke. Which was odd because it was a carpeted floor. Looking back on it now with the hindsight of a million horrors, I could say the glass "shattered", but it didn't, it just broke. Teddy went white with fear!

All five of us boys FLEW out of that house, each running in separate directions and not stopping until we were FAR away and out of breath! What the hell had just happened? I don't know but that was the first and last time I ever went poking around where I don't belong!! smile

#2 Sep 22, 2018 9:42 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Greetings from the grave

Going over to the Dark Side New Historian   ?   Mary Seacole/Deportees would love that story about the Dark Side and duppies.

BTW ....  You love the Old Triumph .  crashing it  ,  making love to it  ,  BUT how about a story  about , the love of the wind on your body , the thrill you get after coming out of a skid  and just the joy of riding.

A suggestion New Historian . Time to get a scooter . A motor scooter 125 cc , perfect for Gree . Tons of lovely ones out there.
Get a new joy of riding.

#3 Sep 22, 2018 4:20 pm

New Historian
Active

A scooter? I hate those those things, first time I ever rode on a bike I crashed it and spent that night in hospital, my worst crash ever lol. And that was a Lambretta scooter, hate those little wheels, hit a pothole and you're in trouble. Doh worry, I haven't lost my love of riding, not an ounce of it. Especially this little baby...

VFR_mine2.jpg

#4 Sep 25, 2018 9:08 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

A scooter? I hate those those things, first time I ever rode on a bike I crashed it and spent that night in hospital, my worst crash ever lol. And that was a Lambretta scooter, hate those little wheels, hit a pothole and you're in trouble. Doh worry, I haven't lost my love of riding, not an ounce of it. Especially this little baby...

https://i.postimg.cc/0rZ6J38y/VFR_mine2.jpg

Doh dis the Lambretta!!!!!

That was a major step up from the 50cc moped I used to tear around the local streets on... never slowing down for right angle corners, just lifting the  appropriate pedal and sliding that foot along the ground.

My race tuned Lambie lacked the large bore exhaust needed to balance the system (no money), so it went from 0=50 or so like a dragster, but then went wha wha and didn't get much over 65 after that, Only 2 mirrors on long stems, no extra lights, and it was so bloody harsh noisy (polished head and piston} I had to coast round the area at night to not piss people off.

But at least it was pretty solid, and stable.... pot holes excepted, not like this latest raft of twist and go plastic things everybody uses now.

#5 Sep 25, 2018 9:29 pm

New Historian
Active

Hey mate it's your experiences that colour your judgement, you had great ones on Lambies (new one on me), I had a painful one lol. Lambies just remind me of teddyboys and early days skinheads (before they were taken over by the racists) and fights in Brighton. I was always a bike guy, leathers looked way cooler than parkas!

#6 Sep 25, 2018 10:06 pm

Expat
Active

Err, mixed I would say...

Fell over going into a pub car park with a large puddle with a large stone in the puddle that dropped me in the water with my leg trapped under the hot exhaust, Slammed into the back of a pantechnicon when a car pulled out in front of it when I was pulling back from an aborted overtake... His brakes were better than mine... smile  Clipped a kid with the kick start and the brake lever when after a couple of pauses it ran into my path after I had already burned rubber trying to stop. Had a back tyre blow out on me while I was turned ogling a girl at a bus stop.... ended up slithering to a halt nudging the centre island of a roundabout near Reading.

But you know what, those running boards and parkas kept your legs drier than boots with fold over grey socks.....  But yes, Bikes are faster for the most part. Even Harleys  smile  Well my one was at least.

Board footer