You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 30, 2018 8:52 am

Expat
Active

RD it is on your doorstep

EWTN now has an affiliated Catholic radio station recently started in Cedar Rapids.

The station currently reaches as far outside of Cedar Rapids as Dubuque, Waterloo, Victor, and Oskaloosa. The Mays’ station can be heard on 88.7 KMMK FM.

#2 Sep 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: RD it is on your doorstep

I am just outside Cedar Rapids.  It is weird that you mention Victor.  That was my childhood home but it is just a tiny, rural burg of about 900 people.

These days I hang with the Lutherans. :-)

#3 Oct 01, 2018 7:56 am

Expat
Active

So, accepting the Catholic Church has it's current day issues which are in the spotlight. But is far from the dogmatic political and imperial stance it took back a day.

Are the differences between the two branches of the same faith now so great there could not be a reunification? From my peripheral standpoint I am aware that there seems to be a converging of religions like Methodists, Anglicans in the UK at the very least. Churches sharing space, participating in ceremonies, hugging each other in public.

As Lutherism has maintained many of the key ingredients of the Mass, could they not slip seamlessly together? Strengthening the Religion.

#4 Oct 01, 2018 12:04 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

As Lutherism has maintained many of the key ingredients of the Mass, could they not slip seamlessly together? Strengthening the Religion.

The mass is almost identical.  Lutherans and Roman Catholics really only disagree on a couple of issues but they are fundamental issues that have wide ranging implications.

Catholics believe that you must be within the Church to receive the sacraments and you must do good works to receive salvation. Catholics believe the Church's sacraments and good works save you.

Lutherans believe that salvation is a gift of the Holy Spirit and is based on faith alone and it cannot be earned by good works or sacraments.  Lutherans believe that faith alone is the means of salvation.

Now, the Roman Catholic Church has come a long way toward the Lutheran view since Luther nailed his 95 theses on the Cathedral door 500 years ago.  At that time, good works could get you into heaven and donating money to Rome was a good work and, therefore, donating money to Rome got you into heaven.  This was Luther's main complaint.  Catholics no longer believe that you can buy your way into heaven.

Martin Luther was a revolutionary.  He changed the world like few men have.  He wasn't, however, a prophet, a saint or anything else.  He was just a flawed man and a sinner like all of us.  He did radically change the world, however.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Oct 02, 2018 10:38 am)

#5 Oct 02, 2018 8:11 am

Expat
Active

Yes, you have reminded me of part of a film about Luther... Yes at that time the Catholics were money grabbing and corrupt..... so not much changes then.... smile

So basically I am stuffed with either branch of the Religion... I am not within the Church, but from time to time do good works if pardon the pun , the spirit moves me.  So I have lost out there.

Could be OK with the Lutherins as to being outside the Church, but my good works should they happen will get me no credit.

I am doomed. Despite possibly being a nicer more generous, and sweet natured soul than many within either fold.

Last edited by Expat (Oct 02, 2018 8:17 am)

#6 Oct 02, 2018 10:16 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Lutherans don't believe you have to be part of the church to be saved.  "Sola fide."  We are saved by faith alone.

Frankly, I think you are going to be given another chance after you shuck off this mortal coil. If there is a hell, I figure it is empty.

#7 Oct 02, 2018 11:08 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Lutherans don't believe you have to be part of the church to be saved.  "Sola fide."  We are saved by faith alone.

Frankly, I think you are going to be given another chance after you shuck off this mortal coil. If there is a hell, I figure it is empty.

Always open to opportunities, I saw a short Utube video that purports to some children up to the age of five having distinct and traceable/provable recollections of previous existences. Some within the family, some not. Just like the Ouija board always says we were Mark Anthony and Cleopatra...

Board footer