You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Oct 02, 2018 7:48 am

Beautiful Bradly Bolton
Active

Wifey has a question for Talkshop

First for me Padnah, Slice...

Everything is looking good. Getting ready for the big trip on the 24th. It seems hard to believe so we are just doing what we know to do to get ready so we can enjoy the ride.

Not going to do anything complex as far as that project I first mentioned. I have some video to shoot but it will not be like what I first imagined, nowhere close. Just some good camera work to show off the Spice Island.

The big question my wife has for the forum and it may seem silly but after the way things worked in St. Lucia I think that the question is legit.

I know that the local currency is Eastern Caribbean but in other E.C. Countries people seem to be more receptive to U.S. Dollars.

Which should we bring? EC? US?

Wifey needs to know.

#2 Oct 02, 2018 8:05 am

Expat
Active

Re: Wifey has a question for Talkshop

They are probably receptive because they will charge you $5 straight fore something that costs $4.50 ec.

Do not use Travelers cheques as they kill you with charges per cheque... A buddy just got screwed that way a few weeks back.

The exchange rate for the US is fixed, so you get a standard rate at the Bank. Others might be able to tell you what you get when you hand over paper, but I don't use USD, so I can't tell you that. Keeping large folds of cash laying around has it's risks, but if you are as I believe staying in a hotel, then probably they have personal safes, so that may be OK. Banks want ID to do the conversion.... Money laundering regulations.

I would say either one, depending on how hard they hit you with exchange rates, but I don't think I would want to be using USD to do day to day transactions. JMI.... Others will have other ideas maybe.

#3 Oct 02, 2018 10:31 am

New Historian
Active

Agreed. You actually don't even need to bring a whole lot of cash, ATMs on the island are fully convertible from your US account. I have a feeling you'd get a better rate to exchange your US here than to buy EC$ there.

#4 Oct 02, 2018 10:35 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I have used ATMs on Grenada and the exchange rate was proper.  Hell, I have used them all over the world.  That's the best way to get local currency.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Oct 02, 2018 10:36 am)

#5 Oct 02, 2018 10:58 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Agreed. You actually don't even need to bring a whole lot of cash, ATMs on the island are fully convertible from your US account. I have a feeling you'd get a better rate to exchange your US here than to buy EC$ there.

I fully expect the exchange rate to be fine with ATM's, but what of the charges at the US end when you get your statement?

I don't know what the differences are with a checking account, known as a current account in the UK, but credit card charges aren't healthy. It's a cash withdrawal, so interest is charges from the get go.

So nice to have a problem with accessing money... Wish I had that problem.... Begging bowl at the ready...  smile

#6 Oct 02, 2018 11:02 am

New Historian
Active

Different banks charge different amounts in Grenada, Scotia the worst. That ATM by Wall St (forget the bank) doesn't charge to withdraw from US accounts.

The bredda who sets out his begging bowl by Wall St beat you to the punch!

#7 Oct 02, 2018 11:21 am

Real Distwalker
Active

There is a charge on both ends.  If, however, I am pulling out 300 Euros in Amsterdam, a $3-$5 total charge is acceptable.

Board footer