You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#21 Oct 11, 2018 9:59 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Deniers and Climate change Experts at the cross roads * 2030 *

My vote does nothing and never has.  In the last election I voted for the Libertarian Party Candidate.  All of Iowa's electoral votes went to Trump.  If I would have voted for Clinton, all of Iowa's electoral votes would have gone to Trump.  If every single person in Iowa would have voted for Clinton and Iowa's electoral votes went to her, Trump would still be president.  Iowa's electoral votes wouldn't have been enough to give her the presidency.  My vote was meaningless.

Nothing any of you do has the slightest impact on the global climate.  None.  Nothing.  You are as helpless as I am to change the climate.  I know y'all like to delude yourselves that you are good and noble and doing your part but your efforts are no different than my lack of efforts.  They won't matter in the least.

So enjoy your existential angst fretting about shit over which you have zero control.   Meanwhile, I will be going to get another cup of coffee.

#22 Oct 11, 2018 10:05 am

New Historian
Active

"None.  Nothing.  You are as helpless as I am to change the climate."

Glad the whole world's not as lame as you when it comes to effecting change. Glad Rosa Parks didn't feel so powerless. Glad your ancestors didn't feel there was nothing they could do to stop Hitler. Glad .... [name your hero here]

#23 Oct 11, 2018 10:19 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Seriously.  If you think anything you are doing is going to have an iota of impact on the global climate, you really need to seek help for your megalomania.

#24 Oct 11, 2018 10:21 am

New Historian
Active

Sure RD, nobody can do shit to stop it, we're all powerless. Boy oh boy, whatever happened to the so-called American can-do spirit? Apparently it died in Iowa, RIP.

#25 Oct 11, 2018 10:33 am

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

Sure RD, nobody can do shit to stop it, we're all powerless.

That's about the size of it.   Nothing you are I do will do shit to stop it. You know that is true. 

Frankly, I doubt humanity has the will to do anything about it.

In any case, I know for certain the two of us will have no measurable impact on the climate whatsoever. This is a metaphysical certitude.

#26 Oct 11, 2018 10:33 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

Well the one we know simply lives on faith that there is nothing that can be done, and that the human impact is so measly that there is no point making the effort.

http://cdn.myktis.com/wp-content/upload … ty-Now.png

One of my favorite quotes is, you do have the right to your own opinion, but you do not have the right to your own facts.  Climate deniers are creating their own facts.

Last edited by Slice (Oct 11, 2018 10:34 am)

#27 Oct 11, 2018 10:36 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I have read extensively on the climate.   I know that the climate, even in the absence of humanity, has experienced changes more radical than we are experiencing now.  Not just once but thousands of times.  Is the current change being caused by humanity?  Perhaps but the current rate of change is well within the range of normal.  Are those your facts, Slice, or are you creating your own facts?

#28 Oct 11, 2018 2:57 pm

New Historian
Active

https://www.theguardian.com/environment … are_btn_fb

Like your SC judge said: what goes around....

What I say: payback is a bitch.

#29 Oct 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

So, what?  It is your contention that not only is this one particular hurricane the result of climate change but that it was caused by the way in which these people voted?

Interesting magical thinking you are engaging in there.

#30 Oct 11, 2018 3:58 pm

New Historian
Active

It is my contention that climate deniers and Trump government bashers are the first to line up for gov'mint handouts when THEY are affected by climate disasters, which occur much more frequently now than in times gone by.

"Climatological events, such as extreme temperatures, droughts, and forest fires, have more than doubled since 1980. Meteorological events, such as storms, have doubled since 1980."

I don't need the internet to tell me this is so, my memory spells it out in clear stark detail. Yes I'm that old.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 … 130859.htm

Board footer