You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Oct 23, 2018 6:22 pm

Expat
Active

Re: I hate cruise ships

Real Distwalker wrote:

There is an option to fly to Easter Island for two nights and a day.  I would probably do that.

There's is no denying earning shedloads of wonga isn't all bad.

#12 Oct 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Well, money won't buy happiness.  There is no doubt that is true.  Having said that, and having lived it, poverty will make you miserable.

#13 Oct 23, 2018 8:29 pm

New Historian
Active

Looks like you're going around the Horn, not Magellan?

I guess this'll be in the summer (i.e. winter?)

#14 Oct 23, 2018 9:26 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Around the Horn and then into the Straight the long way.  Yes, January and February.

#15 Oct 24, 2018 10:28 am

Slice
Active

I am never ever going on ah cruise. No matter how me wife try and, in one case paid for me, ah still change me mind and did not go. I think I will be wasting me money, ah doh drink and ah not ah big eater.  Cruises are not for me.  Now NH post, make me hate it more.

Last edited by Slice (Oct 24, 2018 10:29 am)

#16 Oct 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

I am never ever going on ah cruise. No matter how me wife try and, in one case paid for me, ah still change me mind and did not go. I think I will be wasting me money, ah doh drink and ah not ah big eater.  Cruises are not for me.  Now NH post, make me hate it more.

Well I don't think you have to be a glutton or an alcoholic to make the best of a cruise.  It is not all about seeing if you can burn through all the free entitlements built into the price.

It is whether you want to country hop overnight in comfort, get a flavour of each location, a couple of photo's and enjoy some company.

Having said that, it does not appeal to me, but that's neither here nor there.

#17 Oct 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Correct, Expat.  The cruise that we are considering has lectures about the area and meet and greet events with locals.  It is far more refined than just eating and drinking all you can.

#18 Oct 24, 2018 3:44 pm

New Historian
Active

I'd like to go on a small cruise ship, maybe like the Windjammer old clipper ships. Mind you I did take a "cruise" of sorts, way back when I was a stupid student:

That summer I took a rusty old ship, the M/V Federal Maple, stopping at all the West Indian islands en route. This sounded like fun, but as I soon found out about the old Maple: she weren’t no cruise ship. Dad booked me the cheapest fare possible: deck passage, which as its name implied meant you laid out your bed roll somewhere on deck and prayed for no rain. The first three days we spent sailing eastwards from Jamaica to Saint Kitts, directly into big seas and a strong headwind; I was sick as a dog:

Sat 8 July: Went to the dock in the morning, the boat left at 2:00 PM. Befriended Kassahun (an Ethiopian UWI student) and others, started to get seasick. Lost sight of JA at 7:00. The boat is nice except for the place to sleep. The facilities on board aren’t fit for a pig.

Sun 9 July: Still bloody seasick. Spewed up everything I ate. Lay around all day, taking occasional trips to the side of the boat to vomit. . There’s a lot of girl guides, but they are perfectly OK. I hate them.

First landfall was Saint Kitts, I wobbled ashore to be met by a gaggle of youths:

“You from Jamaica?”

“Yeah.”

“You have ganja?”

“No.”

You have ratchet knife?”

“No.”

“Cha!” They rushed off to the next passenger.

The ship sailed to Antigua, Montserrat and Dominica before I disembarked in Saint Lucia. This was my first taste of the Eastern Caribbean and I liked it. Jamaica was great and I enjoyed its vibrancy, but it was constantly overlaid with a veneer of dreadness, a miasma of fear. Saint Lucia had none of that heaviness; way more chilled. At that time there was a huge construction project underway, Cap Estate and Rodney Bay Marina, thus beginning a prolonged tourism boom. Saint Lucia was an island on the move.

#19 Oct 24, 2018 3:47 pm

New Historian
Active

And speaking of walls at sea:

Wall.jpg

#20 Oct 25, 2018 7:16 am

Dancer
Active

New Historian wrote:

And speaking of walls at sea:

https://i.postimg.cc/7bF9fqG6/Wall.jpg

.......  Fred , Dancer , Hudson and his brother .
INCREDIBLE !

Board footer