You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Feb 13, 2017 10:00 am

Expat

Courtesy of MRP I checked some of the Latest Trini Soca

And whereas I used to like Kyso/Calypso, and many tunes how ever you want to describe the genre.

I hate this latest wave of mind numbing noise.

It took a while of listening to figure out why. Apart from the fact the voice style is basically shouting, the key aggravation is the thud thud thud of the base drum. Even at low volume levels it is tedious. Combine that with the knowledge that it will probably be played at unacceptable levels at a venue near me at some point in the future I am simply not impressed.

You could say it is because I am now old, and I don't understand the latest noises, and you are welcome to your opine. I however feel the quality of the genre has sunk to it's lowest common denominator. JMO.

#2 Feb 13, 2017 10:47 am

Slice

Re: Courtesy of MRP I checked some of the Latest Trini Soca

Hey Expat,  you ent dat old, at times you sound like you 85 or older, but if things doh change, it just can't go on.  One ah use to hate the new beat or rhythm in Soca.  Thought they took Kaiso and soca way, way back and could destroy it.  Then ah heard an interview with the Mighty Sparrow, ah real ole timer and not once did he say something negative about the New artist, instead he praised them for taking Soca to a New level.

Expat oh GOD, I thought ah was bad as far as changes goes, but seriously I think you 100 times worst than me.   I do welcome some changes, but it seems you hate all.

Last edited by Slice (Feb 13, 2017 10:48 am)

#3 Feb 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Expat

Re: Courtesy of MRP I checked some of the Latest Trini Soca

Slice wrote:

Hey Expat,  you ent dat old, at times you sound like you 85 or older, but if things doh change, it just can't go on.  One ah use to hate the new beat or rhythm in Soca.  Thought they took Kaiso and soca way, way back and could destroy it.  Then ah heard an interview with the Mighty Sparrow, ah real ole timer and not once did he say something negative about the New artist, instead he praised them for taking Soca to a New level.

Expat oh GOD, I thought ah was bad as far as changes goes, but seriously I think you 100 times worst than me.   I do welcome some changes, but it seems you hate all.

I follow your drift regarding the original changes from Calypso to Soca. Sure it was different, and could be thought of making it like pop music in comparison, but there was tune, melody, and lyrics worth listening to.

Hence you and I quickly adapted and appreciated the new genre.

This latest stuff is just a pulsing cacophony. I may be slow to change, but it has to be something worth changing to.  This stuff is not. Change for change sake is not the answer. Neither is it worthwhile to be moribund. Like I did say, these changes seem to be going towards the lowest common denominator.  Which is not good.

Board footer