You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Nov 28, 2018 8:10 pm

Slice
Active

GRIPE, THIS IS WHAT BOTHERS ME RACISM AT ITS VERY BEST

So today ah was watching MSNBC, with Ali Velshi. He said a study was done, and they found out that if a neighbor is fifty percent black, the value of the houses in that hood goes down by 48%.  In any hood where it is 1% black, the value of the houses are fair.  That keeps Black families from  growing their wealth.  Those are the kinds thigs that bothers me.  A true form of racism.  Here is the interesting thing, they ent know how to solve it.

#2 Nov 28, 2018 11:03 pm

gripe
Active

Re: GRIPE, THIS IS WHAT BOTHERS ME RACISM AT ITS VERY BEST

Indeed, what you described is stark, blatant racism that has no place in a society that claims everyone is equal. Power, in the hands of those not like us who pay homage to unfairness,  makes the unevenness and unfairness fester.

#3 Dec 01, 2018 12:41 am

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

So today ah was watching MSNBC, with Ali Velshi. He said a study was done, and they found out that if a neighbor is fifty percent black, the value of the houses in that hood goes down by 48%.  In any hood where it is 1% black, the value of the houses are fair.  That keeps Black families from  growing their wealth.  Those are the kinds thigs that bothers me.  A true form of racism.  Here is the interesting thing, they ent know how to solve it.

I cant quote areas in the USA other than queens or Brooklyn, so it has to be an imaginary location.

Surely if that location was Beverley Hills, and the neighbours were eg Eddie Murphy, the price would not be affected.

If however you lived in a working class or lower working class area, which for some reason started to drift from primarily white towards black, and you thought/knew/ or feared that the neighbouring locations with high numbers of Black had elevated crime rates might you not think about moving.... even if you were black yourself?

The area I lived prior to moving was adjacent to an Indian community for many years. They extended outward, and the character of the location changed dramatically.... negatively. Never mind the stores with veggies spewing out across the pavement, the main shopping centre has changed from a middle class shopping haven to a series of 99 pence stores, thrift and pawn shops, and low level crappy shops. Houses once regular build and presentation now have red painted bricks with highlighted mortar. This only paints a poor representation of the changes, but it is accumulative. Black people winge about the Indian influence, West Indian Indians complain about the East Indian incomers.

Not all of that is directly attributable to simply the one cause, but the population change WAS a fundamental part of it.

#4 Dec 02, 2018 9:35 am

Slice
Active

When I moved from Baltimore City to Baltimore county, the main reason was I wanted a more diverse place to live. Needless to say, in the coming years there was a flight from the city to the county.  The crime rate in the city was just too damn high.  Now some of the them can't afford, so my community is now becoming more like America.

I don't think they know how to approach that problem, and that is what bothers me.  In a place called Columbia that is about 15 minutes from me.  The person who created that area, insisted that Columbia must be ah mixed neighbor hood.  If you want to buy ah home in that area, be prepared to pay extremely high prices.

I don't know what to say about that.  I am willing to admit that most Black hoods do have ah very high crime rate, but is that enough to get me to lose  some of my investment? ah just do not know.  I happen to see this as racism, maybe I am wrong, but ah really doh tink so.

#5 Dec 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

When I moved from Baltimore City to Baltimore county, the main reason was I wanted a more diverse place to live. Needless to say, in the coming years there was a flight from the city to the county.  The crime rate in the city was just too damn high.  Now some of the them can't afford, so my community is now becoming more like America.

I don't think they know how to approach that problem, and that is what bothers me.  In a place called Columbia that is about 15 minutes from me.  The person who created that area, insisted that Columbia must be ah mixed neighbor hood.  If you want to buy ah home in that area, be prepared to pay extremely high prices.

I don't know what to say about that.  I am willing to admit that most Black hoods do have ah very high crime rate, but is that enough to get me to lose  some of my investment? ah just do not know.  I happen to see this as racism, maybe I am wrong, but ah really doh tink so.

Probably most poor white neighbourhoods have high crime rates too.... but when people move out to nicer areas it won't be called white flight, it will be called using your brains to get out of a bad location. Ergo the first presumption of whites getting out is racism, could well be a fallacy.

Last edited by Expat (Dec 07, 2018 6:55 pm)

Board footer