You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Dec 11, 2018 7:45 pm

Expat
Active

Factory farming is an abomination.

The levels of cruelty endured by various animals is beyond the pail.

Pigs that are constantly squeezed and bread to exhaustion, Chickens that are either prisoners of Zenda stuck in a cage with no space to turn or flap their wings, with food and water and lighting maximized to ensure repeat egg laying. Chickens are Insectivores from the forests of India, they have been adapted for human convenience, and while they will thrive and do well as free range..... REAL free range where thy don't just have a small opening in the wall they can go out if they get the urge, but actually free to roam they will be strong and healthy instead of a sad feather plucked creature just waiting to be turned into dog food. I accept chickens have the brain function of a worm, and only really function at the instinct level, but they do experience stress.

I confess to using manufactured feed, but my girls, around 100 of them wander, peck, scratch crap and fight to their hearts content, and the egg yolks are a strong yellow colour, as compared to feed only eggs which are a pasty yellow.

This brutalisation has indeed made food/meat cheaper, but what a ghastly way to do it. Lets not get onto the absolute cruelty and indifference to suffering of the various slaughter houses. You really need a strong stomach or zero empathy to watch some of the slaughter men abuse animals as a matter of cause. For those that never want to eat meat again there are plenty of undercover videos of the life/death of animals on YouTube.

#2 Dec 12, 2018 11:36 am

Slice
Active

Re: Factory farming is an abomination.

Ok growing up in Windsor Forest, we had donkeys, cows, sheep, goats and chicken, we also had rabbits.  Here is my take, most of these animals were allowed to roam with the exception of the big pigs.  The baby pigs were free, that is until they were sold.  One of the things I really enjoyed growing up was Beef soup.  Ah mean you could spell that thing, when it was been cooked in the entire hood and it tasted so damn good.  Now no matter how ah try to duplicate that soup in America, it really never taste the same.

The chicken back then used to taste real nice, granted they were ah bit real tough, but the taste was so damn good.  To me chicken these days taste like rubber.  (would you believe I spent six months in Grenada and I never eat chicken?

Even now ah only buy Free range eggs and chicken. Pork and beef that are not treated with harmonies and antibiotics.

Here is the problem people in the world continue to buy these stuff, so it would be sold.

My Tile guy told me about an Organic farm in St Paul's, but I never got to it.

No studies have been done on the Harmonies treated Beef and pork, so I am not eating it.

#3 Dec 12, 2018 10:56 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Factory farming is an abomination.

I would think the reason why the beef soup in America tastes different is that the meat has been handled in a similar way to the UK, in other words it has been hung in chill rooms for maybe 28 days to improve texture and taste.

You will like the taste you grew up with, I find the taste of local beef unappealing. I had a beef based meal at Aggies up in Levera a couple of weeks ago, and it was beef, but not as I know or like it. The hormone laced GMO fed beef you get in IGA tastes more like the beef I get in the UK.

Board footer