You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Dec 19, 2018 10:14 pm

New Historian
Active

U-Boats in Grenada!

By 1941 Europe was deep into the War of the Atlantic, nowhere was safe from the German U-boats. Even in the faraway West Indies, war was being waged on and under the placid Caribbean Sea, with deadly consequences. U-boats would routinely sink Allied ships carrying cargoes from South America to Britain, often within sight of land. On 11th September 1942, the Canadian ship Cornwallis was torpedoed by a U-boat in broad daylight in Carlysle Bay Barbados.

Even the small inter-island schooners weren’t safe, many West Indian sailors perished at sea. U-boats needed to spend many hours on the surface while they ran their loud diesel engines to recharge their batteries, and the remote rocky bays along Grenada’s east coast made for perfect hiding places. Our father told us that late at night, up in the hills of Saint David's they’d hear the unmistakable sound of the German generators. It was even said that German sailors would occasionally come ashore, seeking the delights of fresh food and female company.
U-Boat.jpg

#2 Dec 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: U-Boats in Grenada!

Wow. I had never heard that.  Thanks for sharing.   It must have been strange to be in Grenada while the whole damned world was at war.

#3 Dec 21, 2018 8:18 am

Slice
Active

Very interesting stuff.  How the hell they got to Grenada ? Man way the hell you get these Historic facts from?

#4 Dec 21, 2018 7:43 pm

New Historian
Active

A lot I got from my father and others of his age. He took a troop ship from Grenada to Liverpool in December 1941, in the depths of the U-Boat war in the Atlantic. He nearly never made it, but that's another story (which Expat will probably tell me I've told already lol!).

It's surprising how much wartime activity took place in the Caribbean, the Germans were out to disrupt the flow of oil from Trinidad plus the heavy maritime traffic from the Panama Canal. The Germans had a great advantage as a lot of their U-Boat captains had been captains of ocean liners before the war, and knew the Caribbean waters very well. My good friend Beverley Steele a Jamaican historian living in Grenada wrote an excellent book on little Grenada at war:

https://www.amazon.com/Grenada-Wartime- … 976805493X

Last edited by New Historian (Dec 21, 2018 7:48 pm)

#5 Dec 21, 2018 9:02 pm

houston
Active

Every nook on the planet was at war in some way or another. Those U-boats were everywhere.
Up the St. Lawrence river, into the Bedford Basin of Halifax, sneaking around the Caribbean and maybe far into South American waters.
The sneaky boats would seek harbour and shelter wherever welcomed. Leenaune, County Galway in the south of Ireland was a perfect place to hide and regenerate before attacking navy and merchant ships in the Atlantic.
The deep fyords of Leenaune and the neutral country afforded a breather for the nazi attack boats before the allies discovered a way to wipe them out.
Being assigned to a uboat quickly became the most dangerous job for a German sailor.

#6 Dec 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Expat
Active

Das Boot.

Last edited by Expat (Dec 21, 2018 10:24 pm)

Board footer