You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Dec 22, 2018 4:02 pm

houston
Active

Chaga

The chaga mushroom has some amazing qualities yet it only grows on 1 in 10,000 birch trees.
I purchased some in the tea form but haven't gotten around to using it on a steady basis. One tea bag is good for 10 cups so have to get used to storing it for another day or drinking it cold. Did try it and it's got quite an earthy flavour so needs some honey or something to sweeten it up.
Looking forward to a few more cups and feeling like a brand new man.

www.chagahealthandwellness.com

#2 Dec 24, 2018 10:09 am

Slice
Active

Re: Chaga

Lord if there is one vegetable ah hate in the entire world are Mushrooms.  I hate that damn ting. One of my visitors from New York do not eat deaders.  Ah mean nothing that is dead.  Not even fish.  Yesterday for breakfast she had ah Mushroom sandwich.  Lord ah almost vomit.  Me wife love mushrooms.  So many different types ah just cant keep up  Good luck with your tasteless mushrooms.  Dem tings doh have no taste.

#3 Dec 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Lord if there is one vegetable ah hate in the entire world are Mushrooms.  I hate that damn ting. One of my visitors from New York do not eat deaders.  Ah mean nothing that is dead.  Not even fish.  Yesterday for breakfast she had ah Mushroom sandwich.  Lord ah almost vomit.  Me wife love mushrooms.  So many different types ah just cant keep up  Good luck with your tasteless mushrooms.  Dem tings doh have no taste.

You don't know how to cook them.

My wife used to say she didn't like mushrooms until on one of the very rare ocassions I was in the kitchen and cooked a frie up meal with mushrooms.... Now she almost begs for them.

They have to be cooked hot and hard just a little oil to stop them sticking. You will smell the beautiful aroma come off them when they are done. Slow cooking, boiling etc just doesn't bring out the best in them. Obviously they will shrink down a lot in the process.

Sliced reasonably thin and cooked until dark golden.  Yum.

#4 Dec 24, 2018 4:30 pm

houston
Active

A mushroom sandwich? Might have to try that some time.
I love mushrooms. They are not a vegetable, they're a fungi. They can be loaded with flavour; depending on the type.
Oyster mushrooms are really tasty done in a wok with a bit of olive oil. They don't need much heat, maybe 6 or 7 minutes at a medium temperature. You can add some additional flavour with garlic, a sprinkle of parsley and white wine but I prefer them seasoned with just a dash of salt and pepper.
Portobellos are another favourite. They are large and meaty so they turn out nice on the bbq. Put the whole cap on the grill and slice them about 1/4" thick when done. Again, they don't need much heat, about 10 minutes a side. You want them to be firm not shriveled into a mushy mess.

#5 Dec 24, 2018 8:43 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

A mushroom sandwich? Might have to try that some time.
I love mushrooms. They are not a vegetable, they're a fungi. They can be loaded with flavour; depending on the type.
Oyster mushrooms are really tasty done in a wok with a bit of olive oil. They don't need much heat, maybe 6 or 7 minutes at a medium temperature. You can add some additional flavour with garlic, a sprinkle of parsley and white wine but I prefer them seasoned with just a dash of salt and pepper.
Portobellos are another favourite. They are large and meaty so they turn out nice on the bbq. Put the whole cap on the grill and slice them about 1/4" thick when done. Again, they don't need much heat, about 10 minutes a side. You want them to be firm not shriveled into a mushy mess.

Maybe your heat is less than mine, 10 minutes would be a cremation... LoL.  Personally I find a high heat browns them off, leaves them firm still, and draws out the flavour.... Too many cooks maybe...  smile

#6 Dec 24, 2018 9:27 pm

houston
Active

10 minutes on the top rack.
Are you British people ever going to learn to cook?

#7 Dec 25, 2018 9:54 pm

Expat
Active

I aint usin no racks, Fryin pan all the way.

Had we not populated the world none of yuse would a even know what a skillet is.

Board footer