You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 07, 2019 2:41 pm

New Historian
Active

The wedding ring

It was Sunday afternoon and the family was at one of our favourite hangouts in Barbados: Mullins Beach. We lived just up the road so it was our regular weekend hangout: I knew all the jet-ski operators, vendors and staff at Mullins Beach Bar. The kids and I were frolicking in the beach, when suddenly a cry went up:

“Oh my God! My wedding ring’s gone!”

I turned around to see which idiot had gone swimming with his wedding ring on, and saw a large sunburnt Englishman, frantically looking around in the water. No one paid much attention, figuring a ring in the sea was a lost cause, until he shouted:

“It’s a solid gold ring, with a big diamond. It’s worth five thousand pounds! There’s a reward for whoever finds it!”

That got everyone springing into action! Someone brought some underwater goggles, and a few of us put them on and started looking in the water for the ring. I was swimming around underwater, away from everyone else, using my hands to stir up the sand, when all of a sudden the sand parted and looking up at me was the BIGGEST diamond I had ever seen in my life! I was no judge of carats, but it was obvious this diamond was a bunch of them, not to mention the heavy gold ring it was embedded in.

My eyes opened wide, I quietly palmed the ring and kept on “searching”. By this time there were about ten of us looking in the water, including my children. We’d bob up to the surface, gulp some air and go back down again, feeling among the sand for the ring. The owner of the ring was going frantic, imploring everyone to find his ring. Eventually I couldn’t take it anymore.

“Here’s your ring,” I said, and handed him the ring. I just couldn’t keep the guy’s ring while looking him in the eye. And besides, it was a difficult time for me, I was in desperate need for a new job, and funny as it may seem I actually thought about karma, and did I really want this man’s bad ju-ju on me for purloining his ring? When I gave him his ring he was beside himself with joy, and hurried off to tell his wife - and bring me my reward. A few minutes later he came up, shook my hand vigorously and gave me … fifty dollars! Not even US dollars, fifty measly Barbadian dollars. I was less than grateful.

“You call that a reward, for a ring you said cost five thousand pounds? Man keep your damn fifty dollars.” He actually took it back from me and put it in his pocket. One of the jet-ski guys was scathing:

“Man, you deserve that. What de ass you give de white man he ring back for?”

I had to laugh.

The following week I got a call: would I like to come up for an interview? I interviewed and was accepted. Karma can be a bitch, but sometimes it can also be a gold ring.

#2 Jan 07, 2019 10:11 pm

Expat
Active

Re: The wedding ring

I can't speak for the losers lack of appreciation, but I am glad honesty came to the fore.

I can't say I would run to the police station for £20, but £200 or £2000. I would certainly make a well recorded delivery to the Police station.

Having lost a pay packet while moonlighting when on strike, for 16 weeks, I know how even a few pounds lost can mean the difference between coping and just about making ends meet.

#3 Jan 08, 2019 10:23 am

New Historian
Active

Worst loss I had was in 1987, when I lost ONE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED US DOLLARS IN CASH!!!! I'd gone to England from Jamaica where I'd scrimped and saved this money to buy a ton of bike and car parts, and riding my brother's bike to the bank to change the cash, my wallet fell out of my back pocket. Ah bawl you see!!

#4 Jan 08, 2019 12:08 pm

Slice
Active

Maybe, it wont happen, but if someone gives me one dollar over  in change, ah just tink if ah keep it, me whole day go be ruining. Here is the ting ah doh care if you white, black, or pink, or even if you dirty rich, ah giving it back to you.  I once gave the cashier back in MACYS almost ah hundred dollars.

Ah doh believe in curses and all dat crazy stuff, but ah kinda believe that I will be cursed if ah robe someone.  Kinda why ah tink me and me family are Blessed (not in ah spiritual way).  See ah like ah doh believe in Obeah, ah also doh believe in Spirits and Anancy stories.

#5 Jan 08, 2019 2:04 pm

New Historian
Active

Once when I was a kid in England a shopkeeper gave me too much change, a fair amount. I tried to get his attention but he was busy and just wouldn't listen to me, even shooing me away while he dealt with a grown-up customer. Fine, bye!

#6 Jan 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

Once when I was a kid in England a shopkeeper gave me too much change, a fair amount. I tried to get his attention but he was busy and just wouldn't listen to me, even shooing me away while he dealt with a grown-up customer. Fine, bye!

Things people will do for the love of money...

#7 Jan 11, 2019 3:58 pm

New Historian
Active

Calypso wrote:
New Historian wrote:

Things people will do for the love of money...

What dat mean?

Board footer