You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 18, 2019 5:18 pm

New Historian
Active

Different species of yachties found in the Grenadines

The hippies: 15 of them in a rusty old converted trawler, no one older than 35.  They’ve sold up everything in France, Denmark or wherever and just gone sailing. Destination: anywhere interesting. Beards and babies abound. They're usually dead broke. Favourite haunt: Tyrell Bay.  Frequently known to take root.

The two-week charterer: Pristine Benneteaus, in blue-and-white Moorings rig. Usually with a professional skipper but some brave souls do it themselves by bareboating - with mixed results. A diverse bunch from yuppie couples to mega-families. Favourite target of earring-vendors. Favourite route: St Lucia southbound to Grenada on a seven-day package. Here today, gone tomorrow.

The long-stay cruiser: Usually French flag.  Steel hard chine boats, rust-stained and loaded to the gills. Occasionally you see the serious ones, the solo circumnavigators, in some very nice boats.  Just to talk to them is an experience (yes, I’m in awe).

The Americans:    Nice boats. Very pretty, usually North Carolina or Annapolis registration, loaded with labour-saving gear. Seen mainly in northern Caribbean waters, Virgin Islands to Antigua. Lawyers, brokers and dentists predominate.

The super-rich: Rarely seen ashore but known to pass through Grenadine waters. Air conditioned throughout. It always amazes me how Americans refer to these floating power plants as "yachts" when there isn't a single sail in sight  These great sea-beasts spawn jet-skis, surfboards and ski-boats, all busily buzzing in the endless quest for fun. 

And: Me! I defy categorization lol!!

#2 Jan 19, 2019 4:38 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Different species of yachties found in the Grenadines

Well ah grinding like ah Sugar Mill.  Ah wake up this morning and read my Favorite NFL team owner Daniel Snyder just bought ah yacht  for ah one hundred million dollars.  The team came last in the division, rather than spending money on the team, he spend it on ah yacht.  Ah mad like hell.  Now maybe they doh come to Grenada, but them Americans have expensive yacht too, not just Europeans.  You see me I ent spending ah penny om ah yacht.

#3 Jan 19, 2019 6:05 pm

Expat
Active

Unless it's a tax write off the team is supposed to make money, not soak it up.

#4 Jan 19, 2019 6:57 pm

New Historian
Active

Those huge sleek machines you see at the superyacht dock at Port Louis aren't "yachts", yachts have sails. Those things are monstrosities, crass displays of wealth from crass people. You never see people on deck, they're always inside the air-conditioned interior. What is the friggin point of going "sailing", and breathing in processed air all the time?? Mad people, can't even get in touch with their surroundings, let alone themselves.

Where in the world is RD?

#5 Jan 19, 2019 7:49 pm

Expat
Active

Sailing around the Horn in a force 10 gale probably.

#6 Jan 20, 2019 11:08 am

Slice
Active

Now doh underestimate RD, that man got monies.  He ent ketching me ass like me.  He got real dough.  Ah bet he  someway in Europe.

Last edited by Slice (Jan 21, 2019 9:14 am)

#7 Jan 20, 2019 6:45 pm

Expat
Active

I think it was to be later in the year, but do you not remember he was going on a nature kinda cruise going round the bottom of South Amerikee.

#8 Jan 20, 2019 7:34 pm

New Historian
Active

That's my kind of cruise, shouldn't be full of fatties.

#9 Jan 21, 2019 9:18 am

Slice
Active

Wait NH, so you doh like Fatties?  All ah dem you doh like, could you send dem my way? These women might not be fat, but they are certainly not sexy.  They do not use any kind of makeup and look horrible.

#10 Jan 21, 2019 1:08 pm

Expat
Active

I don't blame them for not using make up, the amount of toxins used in make up, which will be absorbed through the skin, which will then damage their microbiome, and possibly affect any children you might sire by accident. Leave them women plain wobbly arse alone.

Board footer