You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 20, 2019 6:51 pm

Expat
Active

Making Grenada a mono culture Island.

I have heard of countries giving over to one to maybe 3 crops in Afrikee, and becoming dependent for just about every other produce.

I recently heard, and meant to post before, that some farmer up by Sauteurs has rooted up his Coco trees to plant sugar cane.

I can understand people clearing land that has been fallow and trying to make a buck with this scheme where some guy provides and harvests the cane for his latest brand rum, it may be instrumental in increasing the ambient temperature of the Island, but at least it is a competing crop, and will provide income and revenue for the Island. But to rip out a historical mainstay of the Island, for what may be a quick return, when the Cocoa trees take so long to bare is Bayyyyed.

#2 Jan 20, 2019 7:39 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Making Grenada a mono culture Island.

I'm amazed to see sugar make a comeback and I wish it well, but to take out mature cocoa trees is short sighted in the extreme. What if this new whizz scheme goes belly up, as so many do? Then they'll be left with land and no cocoa.

#3 Jan 21, 2019 9:12 am

Slice
Active

I saw the come back of Sugar Cane.  I think I saw that somewhere in Lasagasse and also close to the River Antoine area, I think. I don't know what to say about that. I would prefer they grow weed and sell it abroad.

While in Grenada the Belmont estate was about to sell their Chocolate bars to Massive Amazon to be sold online and also at Whole foods, which is owned by Amazon. I keep looking in Whole foods, but I have not seen it yet.  Destroying  their Cocoa field could be ah huge mistake if this PADNAHSHIP between Belmont and Amazon come through.

Belmont Estate do not grow enough Cocoa to meet Amazon demands.

#4 Jan 21, 2019 12:59 pm

Expat
Active

They have around 10-20 acres out of sight on the flat down by "Canal" on the way out to the point, and I guess around 5 by the road after the bend by Canal on the right hand side.  I think I saw cane growing over the hills from Grenville to Gouayave, plus now the lands opposite the distillery in Westerhall..... probably not for them, as I think they import the mash from TDAD? As does the Wioodlands lot. Plus as you say there is a good bit down by Rivers, but I expect they use that themselves.

You would a see more Chinee contractors building over by La Sagesse..... How to ruin the approach to a nice well used beach/hotel/bar. The only reason they will stop shooting themselves in the foot is because they are reloading.    Idiots.

Last edited by Expat (Jan 21, 2019 1:04 pm)

#5 Jan 21, 2019 1:26 pm

New Historian
Active

That Chinese thing they building on the hillside: hideous!

#6 Jan 21, 2019 4:03 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

That Chinese thing they building on the hillside: hideous!

Yep, and likely to be like squats they are so close, but I was referring to the spoiling of the road leading to the beach..

Instructions for the future.....

When you reach the dilapidated rum factory on the corner turn into the small road opposite. Pass the sports ground, then the contractors offices and dwellings, next you will spy the cement factory, the sand store, and the gravel pit. In a few delightful moments after that, the once glorious beach of La Sagesse will burst into view. Now spoiled by masonry wash from up stream. The once meandering freshwater stream that used to carve it's own path across the beach set in cement spoil never to change course again.

Last edited by Expat (Jan 21, 2019 4:05 pm)

#7 Jan 21, 2019 5:35 pm

Slice
Active

Expat ah maybe made ah mistake about Lasagasse, it might have been in Petit Bacai.   Some where close to me barber.  What is it you say the Chinese building close to the beach in Lasagasse?

#8 Jan 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Expat
Active

They have a big yard with portacaBIN ACCOMODATION AND THE LIKE AFTER THE SPORTS GROUND STRETCHING DOWN A GOOD WAY.... NOT AS FAR AS THE BEACH BY A LONG WAY, BUT i WAS GIVING YOU AN IMPRESSION OF WHAT THE JOURNEY WOULD BE IN A FEW YEARS TIME IF THEY KEEP ON TAKING OVER THE AREA.... FIRST OF ALL THEY HAD THE AGRICULTURAL AREA AT THE START OF THE ROAD, NOW THEY ARE JUST KEEP ON GOING. (caps)

Sell your backside to the devil and he is going to screw you till you bleed.

#9 Jan 21, 2019 7:55 pm

Expat
Active

IMG-0219.jpg

IMG-0220.jpg

Looking down on what would have been Baileys  stock farm years back

#10 Jan 22, 2019 10:40 am

Slice
Active

Man, you are really in the Grenadian ting, you know Grenada ah hundred times more than me.  I heard ah few complains while there, but I just din have the time to analyze all the facts and everything that is happening.  You the man in Greenz.

Board footer