You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Feb 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

My daughter is at St. Martin

She is chief steward on a super yacht and just hired a Grenadian gal as a new steward.   No biggie, just thought I would pass it on. smile

#2 Feb 11, 2019 12:13 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: My daughter is at St. Martin

Does she need an assistant steward? I'm available, decent rates!

#3 Feb 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Get in line behind me, buddy.

#4 Feb 11, 2019 4:34 pm

New Historian
Active

The yachting and cruising sector in the Eastern Caribbean has the potential to become a mainstream earner of foreign exchange and employer of many skilled people. Yet our "enlightened" governments still act as if all sailors are multi millionaires who must be taxed mercilessly. The vast majority of sailors are on a tight budget (a boat: a hole in the water into which you pour money, I should know I've had 3 of them!), but they do spend a lot of money in the local economy, on themselves and their boats. And then there's the criminal elements who are shooting themselves in the foot: sailors NEVER carry large amounts of cash or valuables in their boats, that's what ATMs are for!

#5 Feb 12, 2019 1:55 am

Calypso
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

She is chief steward on a super yacht and just hired a Grenadian gal as a new steward.   No biggie, just thought I would pass it on. smile

Good job to have. When I was in France, I met a young, blonde Algerian named Jean-Baptiste who works on a yacht half of the year, entertaining. He was looking forward to get back in the game. Very good job!

#6 Feb 12, 2019 8:06 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I would guess while taxing, probably vastly different from the work on those cruise ships which looked to be really hard work.

#7 Feb 12, 2019 8:57 am

Real Distwalker
Active

It is brutally hard work when the owners are on board.  Not so much when they are not.

#8 Feb 13, 2019 9:22 am

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

It is brutally hard work when the owners are on board.  Not so much when they are not.

I met some South African crew members who stayed for months in Grenada on a super yacht without the owners. They absolutely loved it, because everything on board, all the toys etc, have to be in tip-top running order all the time, and the only way to make sure of that, is to use them! So they did. But yes when the bastard owners or charterers are on board, end of holiday!!

#9 Feb 13, 2019 10:43 am

Real Distwalker
Active

That's what she tells me.  When the owners and their guests aren't on board they have plenty to do to maintain the boat but it isn't really hard work.  Nice boat in nice anchorages.   When the owners or their guests arrive, however, they are scrambling constantly and are lucky to get four hours of sleep a night.

Board footer