You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#21 Feb 18, 2019 5:44 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Is there no end to the things Bristish should be ashamed of

Several of my ancestors, after coming to America, changed their names from German sounding names to the English equivalent.   Schmidt became Smith.  Schneider became Snyder.  Schweitzer became Switzer.   

First names too.  Heinrich became Henry.  Johann became John.  Josef became Joe.

Nobody wanted to be German.

#22 Feb 18, 2019 6:22 pm

Calypso
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Several of my ancestors, after coming to America, changed their names from German sounding names to the English equivalent.   Schmidt became Smith.  Schneider became Snyder.  Schweitzer became Switzer.   

First names too.  Heinrich became Henry.  Johann became John.  Josef became Joe.

Nobody wanted to be German.

The same happened to the German who went to Jamaica in the late 18th century.. They anglicized their names. One time England ruled a vast part of the world and their influence was strong. Now we can be just who we are and be proud of it.

#23 Feb 18, 2019 7:08 pm

houston
Active

I tried to convince my brother in law to change his name from Helmut to Harold.
The big lug said "Fick das"

#24 Feb 18, 2019 7:55 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Even the Celts migrated to Britain from central Europe.  The Brits are made up of the original stone age inhabitants, Celts, Anglo-Saxons, Danes and Normans.  In other words lots Germanic peoples made up the English.  The Welsh, Scots and Irish didn't get so much mixing and are generally a bit less Germanic than the English.

Again, none of this means anything.  It is just trivia.

Not if you are Scots or Welsh, and someone suggests you are English.  That's fighting talk.

As was illustrated by a conversation I was having with my Granny, who said her teacher said the English invaded Grenada, and apparently she told the Teacher it was the British, and the teacher said same thing..... So as I was going to a Scots person the same day I asked them if they would be happy if they were called English.... Definitely not came back the reply. There is a vast or noticeable difference between being British, and English Scots, or Welsh. I may carry a British passport, but I am English. British is for those that become British, not born in Britain. It is a Union of 4 Nations.

#25 Feb 18, 2019 7:55 pm

New Historian
Active

A hotel manager in Grenada was a German called Adolf, born in about 1946. I asked if he'd ever thought of changing his name and he said, vy should I?

#26 Feb 18, 2019 8:04 pm

New Historian
Active

On the other hand, years ago I worked with a Polish engineer in NY and one day when he rolled up his sleeves I saw the number. He saw my poor attempt to hide my shock (happens all the time, he said), and said simply: "Treblinka". We talked, I asked if he ever thought of getting rid of it. "Never. Ever. Ever."

#27 Feb 19, 2019 12:26 am

Real Distwalker
Active

He shouldn't get rid of it.  He should run it under the nose of every German until the end of his days.

Board footer