You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#21 Mar 04, 2019 1:02 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Vitamin A for Measles

In the US obesity is also a problem that is most extreme in black and Hispanic women.  Black men in the US are slightly less likely to be obese than white men.  Asians are, across the board, much less likely to be obese than other groups.  This implies a genetic component although culture could also play a role.

Opera-Snapshot-2019-03-04-110536-www-cdc-gov.png

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Mar 04, 2019 1:04 pm)

#22 Mar 04, 2019 3:02 pm

New Historian
Active

"This implies a genetic component although culture could also play a role."

I'd say it's almost cultural: obesity is not only a problem of the rich, right here in the Caribbean we have huge obese populations who daily stuff down Expat's poisons in KFC et al. And starch, lots of starch - you ever see a construction worker load up his plate at the staff canteen? Wooiii.

#23 Mar 04, 2019 4:28 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I think I read somewhere, however, that even third and fourth generation Asian-Americans are substantially less likely to be obese than others.

There is a concept called 'frugal genes".  Native Americans spent thousands of years on a diet high in protein and low on carbohydrates.  They evolved to thrive on that kind of diet with bodies that were very frugal with carbohydrates.

Along comes the white man with his Krispy Kremes and now frugal genes designed to store carbs as fat turn out to be a real obesity issue.

I have absolutely, positively no doubt that some people get fat on the same diet on which others would gain no weight at all.

#24 Mar 04, 2019 4:33 pm

New Historian
Active

"I have absolutely, positively no doubt that some people get fat on the same diet on which others would gain no weight at all."

Absolutely - like me! I'm a sweater: I sweat buckets in the slightest heat. Keeps me cool - and slim.

#25 Mar 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I have seen my body change as I have aged... obviously.  When I was in my 20s I could eat 10,000 calories a day and stay thin.  If I want to stay thin now, I have to cut out the sugar or diet in other ways.  I have learned that cutting out refined sugar is the easiest and best way for me to stay thin.

#26 Mar 04, 2019 7:30 pm

Expat
Active

What you describe I would believe is almost universal.

Apart from children that have been conditioned or spoiled who are obese.... a growing number nowadays.... Young people eat like a horse and never seem to put on weight. While old farts never seem to eat more than a crumb but can pile it on if they are not careful.

There is a simple logic, you burn what you eat when you are young, both physically and via your nervous system, or at least that was the case until the Ipad.

Then older folk simply do not burn calories the same way, they are sedentary for the most part.

I was 3 stones heavier in my last years at work than I am now simply because I sat at a desk for hours and behind the steering wheel for hours with only minimal exercise.

I didn't eat any more than I do now, perhaps there was more protein and less veggy's which will make a difference, but my plate was never over flowing like I see is the case with most fatties who state categorically that they do not eat more than a sparrow, yet cannot help putting on weight.

With the exception of a couple of illnesses, and medications if you either eat the wrong kind of foods like KFC or you eat too much, or you eat with large gaps in between meals or you eat late at night you will put on weight.

The only fat people in Belson were the guards, calories in calories out.

#27 Mar 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I fast for 24 hours three days a week.  That is nothing but healthful based on many studies.

#28 Mar 04, 2019 7:41 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

In the US obesity is also a problem that is most extreme in black and Hispanic women.  Black men in the US are slightly less likely to be obese than white men.  Asians are, across the board, much less likely to be obese than other groups.  This implies a genetic component although culture could also play a role.

https://i.postimg.cc/T5X33yzd/Opera-Snapshot-2019-03-04-110536-www-cdc-gov.png

NH is right, diet in the Caribbean has a vast amount to do with both the level of diabetes, and obesity.  Try to get my wife to create a meal with veggies.... it's almost impossible. Protein in excess, heavy starches, and carbohydrates. You might get a strand or two of veggies in the coleslaw if you are lucky. Many times the meat is browned in burnt sugar and oil, which she assures me stops it being sugar.... Oh Lordy.

Maybe Americans are different to Europeans because having lived cheek by jowl with Asian communities while the women may start off very slim.... and attractive.... by the time they have knocked out a few kids they nearly all seem to get very wide in the hips, and walk bandy legged down the road with their lardy stomachs covered by a sari.

The diet uses a lot of Ghee, and they lurve very sugary sweets, a recipe for obesity if ever there was one.

Board footer