You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Mar 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Thanks Brexit, Brits are to be poisoned by the American food industry

I read the book (and saw the movie) The Darkest Hour and it certainly argued that the King was skeptical, parliament was mostly pacifist and the public was very unprepared for war when Churchill grabbed the reins.  Lord Halifax and his allies put tremendous pressure on Churchill to explore possible negotiations-  amounting to partial surrender - with Hitler via Mussolini.  According to that book, Churchill almost caved.

It was a terrible time.  It is easy to sit back in peace and hindsight and say what should and shouldn't have been done.

#12 Mar 05, 2019 4:05 pm

New Historian
Active

Indeed it was a terrible time - but paradoxically also a good one! During the war, people partied like there was no tomorrow; as indeed there may not have been. Every weekend, men and women gravitated in droves to working men’s clubs and ballrooms, dancing their cares away to the latest swing tunes imported from America. Off-duty British servicemen and American GI’s flocked to these venues, intent on forgetting the horrors that awaited their return to active duty. Popular among the English ladies were the black American servicemen, expert at dances like the jitterbug and the Lindy-hop. Swing bands would come over on UK tours, including Tommy Dorsey and everyone's favourite; the Glenn Miller Orchestra.

Even without going to fight, many people didn’t survive. Everyone knew someone who had been killed or maimed. The streets were full of walking wounded, some horribly disfigured. And the ex-soldiers who came back home were determined to CHANGE their societies: no more would they be cannon fodder for the ruling classes. Britain threw out Churchill and the Tories (much to his immense shock and anger!), and brought Labour and in the Welfare State. Even American society changed for the better - but as usual it took you lot longer to do it lol!!

#13 Mar 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I know I have posted this film with Burgess Meredith and Bob Hope showing US soldiers how to behave in Britain before but it is good enough to post again.

https://youtu.be/ltVtnCzg9xw

That's Expat with the newspaper in the pub, isn't it?

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Mar 05, 2019 4:31 pm)

#14 Mar 05, 2019 4:34 pm

New Historian
Active

A good one deserves another - my father actually gets a cameo in this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYjP8oTAGlQ&t=84s

#15 Mar 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Say, scotty? You and your pal have a drink?"

"Aye, if it's on Lease Lend"

smile

#16 Mar 05, 2019 4:42 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

my father actually gets a cameo in this one!

At what time hack?

#17 Mar 05, 2019 9:13 pm

New Historian
Active

2:15, in fact there's a bit of family controversy as to whether it is really him or not. I think it is, what do you think?
Dad-maybe.jpg

The second picture is of him at about the same time.

1940s-179.jpg

#18 Mar 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't know.  Looks close.  Let's just agree that it is him. smile

#19 Mar 05, 2019 11:12 pm

New Historian
Active

I'll take that. Thank god for good fathers

#20 Mar 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Two words: Lend/Lease  Without it, Britain would have sued for peace and been subjected to German domination.  This nearly happened anyway. 

The British were absolutely, positively heroic in resisting Nazi domination but, without the involvement of the United States, it is doubtful that heroism would have been enough.

Yep, Lease Lend, not a gift, something they only paid off 10 or 20 years ago. But without it well who knows.

Board footer