You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Mar 22, 2019 10:06 am

Expat
Active

Disaster emergency fund for Africa

I know America is getting beat up by flooding, Maybe RD is wandering around in waders as we speak, but there is a level of wealth and infrastructure to cope with it.

Many countries in Africa.... whether they should be self sufficient or not are not able to deal with this level of crisis.

So to that effect here is a link to a charity distribution asset that will target the Africa appeal.

https://donation.dec.org.uk/cyclone#/

Also the UK Government will match your donation.

#2 Mar 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Disaster emergency fund for Africa

Iowa is suffering from severe flooding but my immediate area is fine.  My church is busy raising funds for relief in Africa right now.

#3 Mar 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Iowa is suffering from severe flooding but my immediate area is fine.  My church is busy raising funds for relief in Africa right now.

Guy you could be standing next to a sewage outlet with a turbo fan set to full blast, and you would still come up smelling of roses.... smile

#4 Mar 22, 2019 4:34 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Yeah, I am sure it it would be convenient if I would accommodate you by being the stereotypical "ugly American". 

Sorry that real life doesn't match your bullshit prejudices.

Evangelical Lutheran Church in America wrote:

March 20 at 4:21 PM ·

In Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe, Cyclone Idai has caused massive destruction and flooding that have killed more than 200 people, with the death toll expected to rise. Lutheran Disaster Response is working with our global partners to respond. In Zimbabwe, we plan to help provide blankets, hygiene kits, food, clothing and diapers through ACT Alliance. We are also reaching out to our companion churches in the region as they assess needs in their communities and prepare to respond.

Your gifts to Lutheran Disaster Response help make this possible. Please give today: https://community.elca.org/lutherandisasterresponse

My parish is engaging in a local fund raiser all week.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Mar 22, 2019 4:37 pm)

#5 Mar 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Yeah, I am sure it it would be convenient if I would accommodate you by being the stereotypical "ugly American". 

Sorry that real life doesn't match your bullshit prejudices.

Evangelical Lutheran Church in America wrote:

March 20 at 4:21 PM ·

In Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe, Cyclone Idai has caused massive destruction and flooding that have killed more than 200 people, with the death toll expected to rise. Lutheran Disaster Response is working with our global partners to respond. In Zimbabwe, we plan to help provide blankets, hygiene kits, food, clothing and diapers through ACT Alliance. We are also reaching out to our companion churches in the region as they assess needs in their communities and prepare to respond.

Your gifts to Lutheran Disaster Response help make this possible. Please give today: https://community.elca.org/lutherandisasterresponse

My parish is engaging in a local fund raiser all week.

That thin skin will get you every time.

What I was referring to was the fact that YOUR area hadn't been flooded.

#6 Mar 22, 2019 6:53 pm

gripe
Active

Expat and RD, I had read "Guy you could be standing next to a sewage outlet with a turbo fan set to full blast, and you would still come up smelling of roses...." to mean that Expat was recognizing RD as living a charmed life but still having the good sense and good heart to be charitable. More of that combination in people is needed in our world.

#7 Mar 23, 2019 7:53 pm

Expat
Active

Gripe you are taking into account what RD wrote afterwards. I simply meant what I wrote, he had the luck to live on elevated land when the flood came in, a bit like Noah.

Board footer