You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Apr 29, 2019 7:15 am

Dancer
Active

Eggs - Hero or Villain

Yes , early in the morning , even before my breakfast   ------- Bewilderment.
Right on the MSN page  .... EGGS - Eat 1st thing in the morning for a healthy  and good day.

News ... keeping the people in limbo.

According to Dr Apovian at 180 calories for 2 eggs and 7 grams of protein each , eggs along  with fruit ,  yogurt and berries - - are a winning breakfast staple. Not to mention , eggs contain vitamins like b12 , riboflavin , selenium and vit A.

My clients regularly ask me . Should I be eating eggs. My doctor told me they are poison and to avoid eating them because they will  raise your cholesterol.  My response - " that's old news "

Lo..... can we get a little clarity here ? Jeez.

Last edited by Dancer (Apr 29, 2019 7:17 am)

#2 May 01, 2019 11:33 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Eggs - Hero or Villain

Clarity? From the medical profession? Where every 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion is different from the first? Good luck with that lol.

I'm a prime example of medicine's changing whims. When I went to school in England in the sixties they threw dairy produce at you: drink a pinta milk a day, cheese please Louise, go to work on an egg. We got free milk every day at school, with the full cream at the top - yum! Then the doctors say: oh hang on there's this thing called cholesterol, and actually all that stuff we told you is great for you is actually killing you, stop eating it. Oh thank you very much! Now they're rehabilitating eggs, you think I care? Did I EVER drink that abomination called skim milk, even once? And yet at my ripe old I'm still kicking, now would you look at that?

#3 May 01, 2019 11:56 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Yeah, I laid off fat and cholesterol for six months in 2018.  I lost 25 pounds.  My blood LDL level?  Unchanged.  My blood cholesterol doesn't have anything to do with what I eat, evidently.  It is produced by my liver.  Now I am on statins.

I like eggs.  I will keep eating them.

#4 May 01, 2019 3:08 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Yeah, I laid off fat and cholesterol for six months in 2018.  I lost 25 pounds.  My blood LDL level?  Unchanged.  My blood cholesterol doesn't have anything to do with what I eat, evidently.  It is produced by my liver.  Now I am on statins.

I like eggs.  I will keep eating them.

Please please please get off the Statins. Even here my Nephrologist told me to get off them.

Just about every cell in your body uses cholesterol, especially in your brain. Cholesterol has been made the boogie man for heart and artery issues, and due to a study way back in the 60's?  a feeble piece of inaccurate deduction caused the damning of natural fats, eggs and Coconut oil. Ever since despite there is a reduction in LDL Cholesterol when using highly processed oils like corn and canola, the secondary affect of these processed oils is to make the blood sticky INCREASING your risk of heart attack and stroke, not reducing it, those oils are high in Omega6, and change the natural balance in humans regarding Omega6 and Omega3 creating an inflammatory environment in your body which will lead to, or leave you more open to all kinds of illnesses.

Bin the processed oils, eat more veggies, use Coconut oil, eat butter, eggs and fatty meat, plus plenty of oily fish, or fish oil supplements to boost your Omega 3, and a whole range of beneficial acids to long and to many to type out here.

Apart from the well being you will get from the Fish oils, they will help reduce appetite which in itself will help weight loss.

Here is a link to a Ph.D. in Molecular & Medical Pharmacology plus some other stuff. with break down of all the bad stuff it can do.... including sexual dysfunction.... that bit was for Slice... smile

https://www.drsamrobbins.com/cholestero … now-about/

Last edited by Expat (May 01, 2019 3:10 pm)

#5 May 01, 2019 5:19 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Practically went vegan for six months.  Went from 220 lbs to 195 lbs.  My triglycerides and VLDL dropped in half.  My LDL went from 149 to 149.  No change.

My doctor prescribed statins.   I refused.  I went and saw a cardiologist.  He said to get on statins.  Still I refused.

Then a friend who is my age with the same basic stats as me had a heart attack.  His one comment?  "I wish I went on the statins when my doctor told me to".

#6 May 01, 2019 6:29 pm

Expat
Active

Same age, same stats, and probably eating bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, sugar by the ton as it is in anything processed, not to mention palm oil. Plus all the standard Omega6 high cooking oils.

So an inflammatory diet, with all the ingredients to cause a heart attack and stroke arthritis etc etc. Sod all to do with cholesterol.

There are tons of diets out there, most of which have "some" benefit, even if only for the short term. I don't really like all this you must eat this Atkins or which ever, but Paleo with applied  common sense seems to make more sense than most. It just need the ability to ignore most of the old "latest" wisdom about processed oils and margarine/crisco.

#7 May 02, 2019 7:32 am

Slice
Active

Ah doh know, but for now ah cutting down on eggs. One twice ah week. I was able to cut down on me blood pressure while in Grenada, and ah maintin it since ah came back.  Like Expat my doc tried to gee me BP medication, I refused to take it. try as ah may, I just cant gain the last 9 pounds to take me up to 152lbs. I think it is because I cant eat Dairy and the substitues are mostly Fat free.

Last edited by Slice (May 02, 2019 7:33 am)

#8 May 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Ah doh know, but for now ah cutting down on eggs. One twice ah week. I was able to cut down on me blood pressure while in Grenada, and ah maintin it since ah came back.  Like Expat my doc tried to gee me BP medication, I refused to take it. try as ah may, I just cant gain the last 9 pounds to take me up to 152lbs. I think it is because I cant eat Dairy and the substitues are mostly Fat free.

It gets messy, as many substitutes, especially fat free ones are loaded with sugar in one form or another, and sugar which will convert readily to fat if not burned by exercise, whereas fat will be burned and saved as a more accessible fat if not utilised. The fat people cannot easily get rid of, especially the internal fat you don't see around your organs (visceral fat) is what the body doesn't naturally expect to eat (SUGAR) and doesn't know what to do with it, so saves it.

Worse still sugar free and low calorie drinks etc have been proven to not help people lose weight, but actually gain weight as the body gets the sweetness message, but doesn't get the carb rush, causing cravings which lead to consuming fattening drinks/food.

Board footer