You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 17, 2019 10:16 pm

Expat
Active

There is plastic at the bottom of the Mariana Trench

Some would say there is nothing I can do about it.

Others with a bit more intestinal fortitude would participate in initiatives to reduce plastics pollution.

But hey there is nothing THEY can do about it, after all the windmills are still turning and their lance is broken.

#2 May 17, 2019 10:40 pm

houston
Active

Re: There is plastic at the bottom of the Mariana Trench

No kidding. Let's focus on a return to the moon. Maybe collect a few more rocks. Who knows, maybe even find some plastic bags up there to put the rocks into.

#3 May 17, 2019 11:01 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Are you delusional?  You can't do anything about plastic in the Marianas Trench.  Most of the plastic waste is pouring out of rivers in Asia and Africa.  What the hell are you going to do about that?  I am not talking about limiting your own plastic use.  That won't make a lick of difference.  What are YOU going to do?

90% of plastic polluting our oceans comes from just 10 rivers

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/ … 10-rivers/

#4 May 18, 2019 10:16 am

Dancer
Active

The garbage problem  is a big one , nearly as big or bigger than  guns  some crazies hands.
Canada  , like many others  , Gree   , USA  ?   wondering what to  with   their garbage .
Nasty.

#5 May 18, 2019 5:07 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Are you delusional?  You can't do anything about plastic in the Marianas Trench.  Most of the plastic waste is pouring out of rivers in Asia and Africa.  What the hell are you going to do about that?  I am not talking about limiting your own plastic use.  That won't make a lick of difference.  What are YOU going to do?

Where did that plastic in those 10 rivers originate from?
Seems that shipping garbage around is a common practice.
Out of site, out of mind until the piles come to the surface.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/dutert … -1.5107539

#6 May 18, 2019 5:36 pm

houston
Active

Here's an idea.
Instead of investing billions of dollars on collecting moon rocks and red sand from Mars, maybe we could invest on cleaning up our own yard first and ship the trash into space later. The next generation can figure it out.

#7 May 18, 2019 5:44 pm

Vanni
Active

houston wrote:

Here's an idea.
Instead of investing billions of dollars on collecting moon rocks and red sand from Mars, maybe we could invest on cleaning up our own yard first and ship the trash into space later. The next generation can figure it out.

Oh yes we better take care of our own issues, before we want to export them beyond Earth's sphere. They will follow us everywhere we may go, and build up, until we understand our priorities.

I am convinced that we won't need to trash space: there are solutions which we have not yet either conceived of, or found out, to depollute and recycle any matter - including nuclear waste - into something harmless, or even positive.

#8 May 18, 2019 9:50 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

There seems to be a complete consistency with your approach to all things these days. Zero responsability, zero engagement, zero involvement or interest in others efforts.

I guess your next reaction will be I need a crap, but there's nothing I can do I had better just let it happen.... without making the more intelligent move towards a toilet.

So me not accepting bloody silly bags for small items that cashiers here in Grenada seem programmed to hand out, and re-using regular shopping bags for similar or alternative processes will not aid in the problem? I should just welcome taking bags for a small item I can slip in my pocket? I think the UK punitive approach of charging a ridiculous amount to use a stores carrier is completely wrong. I believe some bags can be made out of rapidly degradable substances, if so assuming they don't just degrade into micro-plastics why cant the bags just be made out of that instead of making life bloody difficult.

Obviously your tedious response that "What I do won't make a difference" is just dumb. 360,000,000 Americans each being more cautious about plastics use and disposal, plus other main users doing the same, with pressure on rogue nations WILL make a difference.

Even China is making large steps towards reducing it's plastic pollution. One of course being not to accept the rubbish from around the World to dispose of.

Maybe America is still a little virtuous with it's shopping practices. I don't know, but I seem to recall at one time deep brown paper bags were the bags used at supermarkets, as compared to plastic bags in the UK.

Last edited by Expat (May 18, 2019 9:59 pm)

#9 May 19, 2019 8:24 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Again, I am about as green as I can be.  My wife takes reusable bags to the grocer.   That said, if you and I never used anything made of plastic again, it wouldn't make a lick of difference to the amount of plastic in the ocean.  None.  This isn't my opinion.  This is a metaphysical certitude.  Give up on the magical thinking.

#10 May 19, 2019 12:29 pm

Vanni
Active

RD, I understand your position. However, there is an aspect which, while at the material level may not appear to make a difference, makes a difference at a level which is at the origin of our material world: the energetic and the spiritual world.

We mostly perceive the material world, which we call real. However, at the origin of the material world is another one, which is determining in the one we call reality, and it is the energy and spiritual world.

A gesture of the heart, an attitude of caring goes a long, long way.

And so, to do or not do something big, but like a robot, without our heart's participation, has in the end effect little impact or value. And however small a thing we may be doing, if we are putting our heart and soul into it, will have a major impact. We may just not see it manifesting itself soon enough for us to understand the relationship to cause and effect, but our heart knows.

We can - and we will - change our world situation for so much better than we can imagine right now. And I am having faith in you RD, in everyone here, in all of us.

Board footer