You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 22, 2019 8:57 pm

houston
Active

Apollo 11

Okay, humans proved that they were able to walk on the moon.
They left behind  a footprint, a flag, some discarded over weight garbage and a legacy. They returned with a bag of dusty moon rocks that had minerals found on Earth. Cost of this exploration, $500 billion.
That's a lot of money that could be better spent exploring the deeps of our own planet or go towards feeding the many empty stomachs.
The idea of starting up another moon landing program is a bit of head shaker.
Why on Earth would they want to collect another bag of rocks at that expense?
Why on Earth can't these scientists be satisfied with looking at a beautiful full moon while standing on the secure soil of planet Earth?

#2 Jul 22, 2019 10:05 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Apollo 11

Houston, we have a problem.  Sorry.  Had to be said.

Exploration is part of the human experience.  Don't we all yearn for it on some level?  I love space exploration.  The entire Apollo program cost the equivalent of three months of US social welfare spending in 1969.  It cost a tiny fraction of the Vietnam War and was money infinitely better spent.

Personally, I am content with robotic space exploration.  It makes sense for a lot of reasons but I do support space exploration.

#3 Jul 23, 2019 4:04 pm

houston
Active

Nothing better than a good disagreement.
Have to admit I agree with you on the robotic exploration, with the exception that they limit the amount of holes they keep poking through the ozone layer.
Flat earthers didn't know of much beyond the horizon because they didn't have the tools. Today we have the tools to understand how far we could possibly go.

I certainly don't see the necessity for another manned moon landing program.

#4 Jul 23, 2019 4:33 pm

New Historian
Active

I'm beginning to think space exploration is a load of baloney. We have existential problems here on earth and we're spending trillions so that a handful of astrologers can cream their pants? It seems a whole lotta moolah for the benefits of teflon and velcro!

#5 Jul 23, 2019 7:58 pm

houston
Active

Exactly. The amount of money that goes into the pockets of dreamers of another planet to abuse is a real head shaker. Lots to explore and correct at home.

Board footer