You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 30, 2019 7:33 pm

houston
Active

Avocados

Just wondering, does Grenada farm avocado crops for export?
The delicious, nutty fruit seems to be quite a commodity these days. The egg sized avocados from Mexico sold in the grocery here are no comparison to those jumbo sized ones grown in Grenada and certainly don't taste near as good.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&source=w … 4873964873

#2 Jul 31, 2019 12:22 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Avocados

houston wrote:

The delicious, nutty fruit seems to be quite a commodity these days. The egg sized avocados from Mexico sold in the grocery here are no comparison to those jumbo sized ones grown in Grenada and certainly don't taste near as good.

Your link doesn't work. The avocados are the Haas from Mexico. Small and creamy. I just eat one with some steamed snapper.

#3 Jul 31, 2019 4:09 pm

houston
Active

Try this link.
The articles about the growing popularity of avocados and at the same time, a shortage. I find the Mexican avocados small and solid. Leave them on the counter to ripen and they turn very fast. Hard to catch them just right.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis … -expensive

#4 Aug 01, 2019 4:50 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

Yes they do export, maybe in a commercial way, but definitely via traffickers to Trinidad.

I don't know why, but my Avocados including the big bottle shape one you mentioned have caught their nen nen this year, they have only just survived, and may hardly crop.

#5 Aug 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
houston wrote:

Yes they do export, maybe in a commercial way, but definitely via traffickers to Trinidad.

I don't know why, but my Avocados including the big bottle shape one you mentioned have caught their nen nen this year, they have only just survived, and may hardly crop.

Those large avocados aren't tasty.  We had an abundant number of those avocados ion my grandmother's farm. When it rained we would pick dozens and distribute them to our neighbors. They were, huge , soft and tasteless. My older sister used to take them to make a paste and use it as a facial mask. It softens the skin.

#6 Aug 01, 2019 9:41 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
houston wrote:

Those large avocados aren't tasty.  We had an abundant number of those avocados ion my grandmother's farm. When it rained we would pick dozens and distribute them to our neighbors. They were, huge , soft and tasteless. My older sister used to take them to make a paste and use it as a facial mask. It softens the skin.

YOURS I guess.  Firstly if you pick AFTER rain they are not going to be nice because the water has been sucked up, but not properly converted into flesh. Why would you pick JUST after the rain? Mine are tasty, smooth, and creamy and in great demand,....or at least they were until this year. The provisions Manager at IGA would be harassing me for them when they were in season.

#7 Aug 02, 2019 3:52 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

Those large avocados aren't tasty.  We had an abundant number of those avocados on my grandmother's farm. When it rained we would pick up dozens that had fallen off the trees and would distribute them to our neighbors. They were, huge , soft and tasteless. My older sister used to take them to make a paste and used it as a facial mask. It softens the skin.

YOURS I guess.  Firstly if you pick AFTER rain they are not going to be nice because the water has been sucked up, but not properly converted into flesh. Why would you pick JUST after the rain? Mine are tasty, smooth, and creamy and in great demand,....or at least they were until this year. The provisions Manager at IGA would be harassing me for them when they were in season.

Sorry for not being explicit enough. The rain beat them off the trees.

Last edited by Calypso (Aug 02, 2019 3:54 am)

#8 Aug 02, 2019 8:26 am

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

Those large avocados aren't tasty.  We had an abundant number of those avocados on my grandmother's farm. When it rained we would pick up dozens that had fallen off the trees and would distribute them to our neighbors. They were, huge , soft and tasteless. My older sister used to take them to make a paste and used it as a facial mask. It softens the skin.

Sorry for not being explicit enough. The rain beat them off the trees.

Aahhh makes sense.

Board footer