You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Aug 19, 2019 12:09 pm

New Historian
Active

Nigerian felt unwelcome in Barbados

Now some black tourists can get a bit touchy and quick to take offence, but by and large this is a common - and justified - complaint.

https://repeatingislands.com/2019/08/18 … 3ckYBd8KKY

Offline

#2 Aug 23, 2019 6:00 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Nigerian felt unwelcome in Barbados

New Historian wrote:

Now some black tourists can get a bit touchy and quick to take offence, but by and large this is a common - and justified - complaint.

https://repeatingislands.com/2019/08/18 … 3ckYBd8KKY


I do not know why the hell this article was ignored by members of the forum.  Skin shade is a problem in the Caribbean. It is a legacy left by the effects of slavery. Jamaica has it the worst than most Caribbean island. Years ago, an Afro-American woman told me about her negative experiences in Jamaica as a tourist and I didn't deny that a preference for light skin and whiteness does exist. Whenever, we, blacks begin to see ourselves as equals, then we will be fully integrated.






"Merely by describing yourself as black you have started on a road towards emancipation, you have committed yourself to fight against all forces that seek to use your blackness as a stamp that marks you out as a subservient being." Steven Biko

Last edited by Calypso (Aug 23, 2019 12:20 pm)

Offline

#3 Aug 23, 2019 10:42 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Nigerian felt unwelcome in Barbados

I had to find some time.....

I am not clear what that 'black' tourist was on about. So I will be quiet ,cause I just see confusion in what the article might be trying to express.

Offline

#4 Aug 23, 2019 11:02 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Nigerian felt unwelcome in Barbados

Dancer wrote:

I had to find some time.....

I am not clear what that 'black' tourist was on about. So I will be quiet ,cause I just see confusion in what the article might be trying to express.

What's the confusion? The sentiments expressed in the article have been shared by many many black tourists to Caribbean shores, in particular to Barbados.

Offline

#5 Aug 23, 2019 11:45 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Nigerian felt unwelcome in Barbados

Dancer wrote:

I had to find some time.....

I am not clear what that 'black' tourist was on about. So I will be quiet ,cause I just see confusion in what the article might be trying to express.

Dancer, where is the bloody confusion? A handful of blacks see blacks as being non tourists-- people who cannot afford a middle-class lifestyle and pamper themselves. They are used to whites  having this privilege. When we being to see ourselves as equals  then we will be completely respected. In America, whenever a white persons sees a black they they think "ghetto" or under privilege but some blacks have better lives than they do. We should move away from that thinking.

Last edited by Calypso (Aug 23, 2019 11:45 am)

Offline

#6 Aug 23, 2019 5:49 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: Nigerian felt unwelcome in Barbados

" Be cool  ,  keep your coat  on ."
I have no problem with the main point , " some of the hotel staff gave them a hard time.  "
Now hear me ,,  they could be reasons  that they got the 'cold' treatment (lol)

...... As we all know some JCBs especially from England  , comes back 'home ' and then tries to 'Lord' it over the locals.
> De locals say " here comes that A... H... again ". <

Second , personally I don't think a lot of black people like serving people . " Why do you think the divorce rate is rising among  black folk. Ask  John or Ralph.

On a more serious note , This island has   going  customer awareness and 'respect the customer program , ever so often on Tv. Lo.
Black people are the  biggest complainers of those clerks , getting on like if you doing them a favor.
Pisses me sometimes right off. lmao.    ( I does say so too, lo ).
They need more patience.

Offline

#7 Aug 23, 2019 10:48 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Nigerian felt unwelcome in Barbados

Dancer wrote:

" Be cool  ,  keep your coat  on ."
I have no problem with the main point , " some of the hotel staff gave them a hard time.  "
Now hear me ,,  they could be reasons  that they got the 'cold' treatment (lol)

...... As we all know some JCBs especially from England  , comes back 'home ' and then tries to 'Lord' it over the locals.
> De locals say " here comes that A... H... again ". <

Second , personally I don't think a lot of black people like serving people . " Why do you think the divorce rate is rising among  black folk. Ask  John or Ralph.

On a more serious note , This island has   going  customer awareness and 'respect the customer program , ever so often on Tv. Lo.
Black people are the  biggest complainers of those clerks , getting on like if you doing them a favor.
Pisses me sometimes right off. lmao.    ( I does say so too, lo ).
They need more patience.

The problem with the JCB's, not only from England, we have one of the buggers from Baltimore.... LoL

Is that they have had a life time of experiencing mostly prompt service, instead of waiting for the cashier to finish her conversation with a friend or complete their texting, they come often with skills and knowledge acquired from much more technologically advanced societies, and when they see some dick head dragging their heels or doing things vikevie they speak out instead of accepting shit is all you can expect. Many many times the problem is not the JCB, but the don't try and help me by showing me a better way local. Worse for me, as being white most people think I have never got my hand dirty or done a hard days work in my life, so how can I tell them they are doing shit.

I have cleaned toilets, repaired TV's, worked on competition sports cars, lorries, buses, built the bodies of Rolls Royce vehicles, and Buses, run my own company with VAT and all the nuances tax and accounting requires. Taught myself ACAD to make a working drawing to build our house from, as the local architects did such a piss poor job the builder couldn't work off his plans.... which was just supposed to be a legitimised version of my working drawings I had supplied him. So when a spotty faced or even half grown mechanic tries to talk down to me about what is wrong with the car, I can rightly tell him I was tuning cars with 4 individual carbs without machines using just a piece of 3/4 pipe 20 years before he was born.

There will be some JCB's who think they are it because they come with their pockets full of pension cash in, and try to show off but often these are the ones that burn their money and have to run back. Although thanks to Brexit even the cautious ones from the UK will be feeling the pinch.

Me, I don't drink at the rum shop, as a} I don't like whats on offer, and b) I don't want to go deaf from being where everybody shouts at each other even when they are 6 inches away from the next person. But what about the local JCB, if he only buys for himself and the odd friend then he is mean, if he buys drinks all round he is a show off and an A---- ----e  he just will not be able to win.

Last edited by Expat (Aug 23, 2019 10:53 pm)

Offline

#8 Aug 29, 2019 12:41 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: Nigerian felt unwelcome in Barbados

Today : CNN . :::  FBI Fraud bust dents Nigeria's Global reputation.

I don't just read TS.  BUT  West Indian man  ,  is also a World man .( which causes  me to question opinions and statements that I see ) like the heading of this post.

... but listen to Nigerians first..

The FBI dramatic arrest and indictment of nearly 80 Nigerian Cyber Criminals in California  was heard around the world.
It has (for a while) many Nigerians worried about how the world view them.

Facts : 
Nigeria is one of the world's most prolific exporter of skilled migrant labor - with one of the least powerful passport * giving access to only *52 countries.
A new era of Visa restrictions/refusals are the last thing educated Nigerians need.
UK ...   Visa REFUSAL rate for Nigerians 35%
USA ... Visa refusal rate for Nigerians  57%

Was someone saying something about  some Caribbean island Custom Agents.  ??

Offline

#9 Aug 29, 2019 1:35 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Nigerian felt unwelcome in Barbados

Not ah ting new here.  That is Barbados.  I also had me experience with the ticket teller in Barbados and also I witness the embarressemnet dished out to a Grenadian Rasta.  That is ole, old news.  I just thought there was improvement.

Offline

#10 Aug 30, 2019 4:57 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Nigerian felt unwelcome in Barbados

Dancer wrote:

Today : CNN . :::  FBI Fraud bust dents Nigeria's Global reputation.

I don't just read TS.  BUT  West Indian man  ,  is also a World man .( which causes  me to question opinions and statements that I see ) like the heading of this post.

... but listen to Nigerians first..

The FBI dramatic arrest and indictment of nearly 80 Nigerian Cyber Criminals in California  was heard around the world.
It has (for a while) many Nigerians worried about how the world view them.

Facts : 
Nigeria is one of the world's most prolific exporter of skilled migrant labor - with one of the least powerful passport * giving access to only *52 countries.
A new era of Visa restrictions/refusals are the last thing educated Nigerians need.
UK ...   Visa REFUSAL rate for Nigerians 35%
USA ... Visa refusal rate for Nigerians  57%

Was someone saying something about  some Caribbean island Custom Agents.  ??


Interest facts, D, no wonder I don't see them in the country.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB