You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 03, 2019 9:54 am

New Historian
Active

Everyone please pass this along, let it go viral!!!

Dorian-support.jpg

#2 Sep 03, 2019 11:22 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Everyone please pass this along, let it go viral!!!

Last night was not a good night in the  Bahamas.

#3 Sep 03, 2019 6:58 pm

Expat
Active

While it is a nice thought, it is a little silly and unrealistic. Simply as they are businesses with itineraries and commitments. When those cruise ships especially the Norwegian ones, are not poodling up and down the Caribbean, they are poodling around Nordic Ffiords, or in and out of the Med, they would be sued rotten by thousands of disgruntled cruise ship passengers that would have been left to spin on their thumbs.

#4 Sep 08, 2019 12:18 pm

Vanni
Active

Yes, then when catastrophe hits the same people who are searching for fun without caring, they too are finding the world cruel. While money is not always the only answer, caring in a first step definitely makes a difference.

Life is what we are making of it. Caring and compassion go a long way.

I have been concentrating on the past days on this storm, doing my fair share at the level I could contribute to, and be it from the heart.

#5 Sep 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Expat
Active

Vanni wrote:

Yes, then when catastrophe hits the same people who are searching for fun without caring, they too are finding the world cruel. While money is not always the only answer, caring in a first step definitely makes a difference.

Life is what we are making of it. Caring and compassion go a long way.

I have been concentrating on the past days on this storm, doing my fair share at the level I could contribute to, and be it from the heart.

So, you are booked on a flight to Grenada which will arrive one or two days before a family members funeral, a person you had strong feelings for, and then your airline cancels the flight to pick up people from a storm ravaged Island, leaving you to grieve back at the airport fighting to find a none existent flight to get you to the funeral in time..... Or maybe you saved for 5 years to go on the cruise, and now it's all messed up. I guess you'll shrug it off, and settle for a tour of the toblerone factory.

#6 Sep 09, 2019 8:41 am

Vanni
Active

Expat wrote:

So, you are booked on a flight to Grenada which will arrive one or two days before a family members funeral, a person you had strong feelings for, and then your airline cancels the flight to pick up people from a storm ravaged Island, leaving you to grieve back at the airport fighting to find a none existent flight to get you to the funeral in time..... Or maybe you saved for 5 years to go on the cruise, and now it's all messed up. I guess you'll shrug it off, and settle for a tour of the toblerone factory.

Eeh is this how it came across to you Expat? I spoke of caring and compassion. Not of diversion of itineraries. Surely not of making such diversions into a show. See what people are used to watching for thrills, rather than to do so in order to find compassion.

The idea of the flyer was to send some special expeditions to the Bahamas, where people choose to go in order to help.

Still, cruise ships may take the opportunity to organise an event on board, which goes toward helping people in the Bahamas. Though money is a tricky question, and we need to make as sure as possible that our contribution actually ends up where and how it was initially meant to be.

So, I focused on going into our hearts, even if it would be far from the crude conditions experienced on site, and finding caring and compassion, and see how we want it to reach out concretely.

Last edited by Vanni (Sep 09, 2019 9:02 am)

#7 Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm

Expat
Active

Vanni wrote:
Expat wrote:

Eeh is this how it came across to you Expat? I spoke of caring and compassion. Not of diversion of itineraries. Surely not of making such diversions into a show. See what people are used to watching for thrills, rather than to do so in order to find compassion.

The idea of the flyer was to send some special expeditions to the Bahamas, where people choose to go in order to help.

Still, cruise ships may take the opportunity to organise an event on board, which goes toward helping people in the Bahamas. Though money is a tricky question, and we need to make as sure as possible that our contribution actually ends up where and how it was initially meant to be.

So, I focused on going into our hearts, even if it would be far from the crude conditions experienced on site, and finding caring and compassion, and see how we want it to reach out concretely.

The origins of the flyer and suggestion from the OP was that the cruise ships could cancel everything on a dime, and go and do good works in person, not raise a few dollars in a raffle.

#8 Sep 10, 2019 8:30 am

Slice
Active

Now you know, why ah say there ent no God.  The islands do not deserve this.  If there was ah God, who has the controls buttons in he hand, he should of directed this Dorian to the shores of the USA. Now doh get me wrong, not that I am asking for this in the US, but the truth is the good old US, can handle this, not the English speaking Caribbean.

#9 Sep 10, 2019 1:22 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Now you know, why ah say there ent no God.  The islands do not deserve this.  If there was ah God, who has the controls buttons in he hand, he should of directed this Dorian to the shores of the USA. Now doh get me wrong, not that I am asking for this in the US, but the truth is the good old US, can handle this, not the English speaking Caribbean.

Now we all know I do not recognise there being a God, but in his defense.... if he exists..... he created the UNIVERSE which is an unimaginably vast swathe of rocks dust and enormous quantities of black matter..... in all that vastness there are probably trillions of planetary clusters that might support life.... All powerful as he/she might be he did his job, the rest evolved, does ANYONE really think he dips into humanity and figures.... Oops there's a big wave. or nasty wind on that planet, let me calm it down so the faithful wont be disturbed.... It's simply preposterous.

He/she did their job, we are on our own, suck it up.

Board footer