You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Aug 20, 2019 3:58 pm

New Historian
Active

My Top Ten beefs with cruise ships

1.    Passenger spends are minimal – and overstated. The bi-annual economic impact report put out by the cruise industry is a highly unscientific, based on a visitor expenditure survey that is filled in by less than 2.5% of passengers with questions skewed to produce inflated results.

2.    The industry is highly united, and we are not. The Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association (FCCA) is the umbrella organization for the industry and they do an excellent job of promoting the interests of their members, over those of their host destinations. On the other hand there is no organization Caribbean governments to speak with a unified voice to the industry. Result: we get ripped off and played off, one country against the other like crab in a barrel.

3.    The ship is the destination. Cruise ships are very good at keeping their passengers on board, where they spend the money (or more) they would have spent ashore. In Grenada an estimated 25% of passengers stay on board, although like everything else in the industry this is only a rough estimate. Activities such as dining and entertainment are all done on the cruise ship, leaving little to be spent in the local economies.

4.    They squeeze local small businesses. In my short career as a small boat operator in Grenada I experienced first-hand how difficult it is to make money from cruise ships. They add 100% commission on the prices charged by local vendors, plus insist that tour operators carry expensive third party liability insurance for their passengers. And during the dead summer season, small operators “suck wind”.

5.    Host countries are in a race to the bottom. In 1999 when Grenada had the audacity to impose a $1.50 per head Environmental Levy on cruise passengers to help meet the rising cost of solid waste management (a large part of which came from the cruise ships themselves), Carnival Cruise Lines the largest in the world and supplier of 50% of passengers to Grenada boycotted the island for five years. Neighbouring islands were only too happy to take up the slack.

6.    Infrastructure consumption by cruise passengers is not priced. A large cruise ship can produce 95,000 litres of sewage, 500,000 litres of wastewater, 7 tons of garbage, 56 litres of toxic chemicals and 26,000 litres of oily bilge water per day – where does this go? When you add road usage and congestion in urban areas into the equation it is evident that cruise ships are huge consumers of infrastructure services onshore – do they pay their fair share?

7.    There are two distinct types of tourist: stayovers and cruisers, and cruisers rarely come back for an extended stay. Conversion drives that give out expensive brochures etc. simply do not work, and there is no data to suggest that they do.

8.    They crowd out the beaches and turn away real tourists. On cruise ship days, Grand Anse beach becomes unbearably overcrowded with noisy rambunctious day trippers. This is diametrically opposed to what most stayover tourists come to Grenada for: tranquillity, natural beauty, peace and quiet. Average spend per stayover tourist in Grenada is $950, versus a paltry $40 per cruise ship passenger, and yet we are sacrificing the former for the latter: this makes zero economic sense.

9.    Head taxes are minimal and inadequate. The average head tax in the Caribbean is $8.92 per passenger, with a low of $1.00 in the Dominican Republic to $60 in Bermuda. Apart from Bermuda these amounts are derisory, when compared to the real cost of cruise ships to the host countries in which they operate.

And last but by no means least:

10.    They pollute OUR Caribbean. Carnival Cruise Lines was recently fined $20 million for (again) dumping plastic waste into the sea and falsifying waste disposal records. Carnival have a long history of dumping at sea and it is obvious that the occasions when they have been found out are only a small percentage of their illegal dumping. According to Friends of the Earth, the worldwide cruise ship industry dumps around one billion gallons of sewage into the oceans every year. Given that the Region accounts for one third of the industry we can assume that one third of that sewage is dumped into OUR precious, fragile Caribbean Sea.

If I had my way? BUild a wall, keep them out!!!!!

Cruise-shit.jpg

#2 Sep 17, 2019 9:12 am

Dancer
Active

Re: My Top Ten beefs with cruise ships

As I have learned . New Historian does bring something new to the table . One can not just skim over them  (sometimes) -  lmao.
" No Historian , that's a joke . lol.      ........sensitivity , you know
lol.

ANYHOW ... You Cruise Ships piece , was not bad at all.
I liked  # 5
# 6  True.
and others.
But you left-out one ...
These cruise passengers  have been ' informed ' about  local transport . And have put the TAXI drivers in a spin.
Spend $2  .... take 25 from the TAXI man..      Lol.
>>>>>

My only problem is this .....
>>>>>> >>>>>>>>    ..  " If I had my way ? Build a wall, keep them out !!!
"""" Oh , oh  A Caribbean TRUMP.

Board footer