You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Mar 04, 2017 5:01 pm

houston
Active

Corn, beans and other things

041.jpg

046.jpg

050.jpg

053.jpg

Frosty mornings in the Fall.

#2 Mar 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Corn, beans and other things

Arrogance on my part to mess with it, but maybe it really looked like this, or perhaps my screen is darker than yours?

050.jpg

#3 Mar 04, 2017 8:27 pm

houston
Active

Nope, it looked like it did when I took the photo.

#4 Mar 04, 2017 8:33 pm

Expat
Active

?

Did it look like the original, or the modified one?

Into Sun shots I find extremely difficult to pull off...... and I am not such a devotee of Photoshop as to be able to do all the clever multi layer stuff that can be done.

#5 Mar 04, 2017 8:46 pm

houston
Active

Anyone can photo shop or paint over a captured image.
I think it kind of takes away the delight of an actual photo. Yes the sun can play a factor in what the eye sees at the time.

#6 Mar 04, 2017 9:25 pm

Expat
Active

I will disagree with you on many levels.

An artist interprets what they see, and if talented enough, can paint a likeness as accurate as an actual photo..... Not that there are many as good as that nowadays. But finely accurate or not, what the artist brings to the mix is they put character into the image.

Maybe you point and shoot? Obviously when using my phone camera that is the only option. But even with my DSLR's I take the photo's RAW, and then bend the picture to what I recall as being the actual image. There are too many parameters to get a perfect every time photo even with the many pre-sets in the camera. Even if I used them I would have to make post changes, as a camera is just a computerised light gatherer, without the ability to really "SEE" what the human eye/brain can see.

The reason I even bothered with that photo was because from experience any time you point a camera to the sun everything the human eye sees disappears into shadow. I have deliberately taken photo's to get that sort of almost monochrome effect, but I felt perhaps you had been able to see the field with a watery Sun, so tried to pull it to that. I doubted you would have taken a photo of a red dot in the distance.

As I implied I am far from a skilled Photoshopper, I have no illusions as to MY abilities. But likewise I could not and would not dismiss the impact a skilled manipulator can make to an "average" snap. Even with my limited skill set between the manufacturers software, and photoshop I have recovered badly taken photo's that were either badly under exposed to the point of being completely black, or over exposed, and or taken in a very camera unfriendly location.

I do not believe that modern Digital pictures even now stand up against the old 35mm or other negative based imagery, but it does at least give you controllability that could make us all into photo laboratories.

#7 Mar 04, 2017 10:43 pm

houston
Active

Expat, I'm not into photo contests. I merely posted photos of visions I like and thought might be of interest to others.
We are not talking about painted art that is viewed in many ways. They are simply electronic photographs.
Frankly speaking, I think today's camera genius should stuff the lens into a dark place and take a closer look at true art.

#8 Mar 05, 2017 10:01 am

Expat
Active

"houston there is a problem".

I just wrote another response which accurately countered your straw men, and observations. But as you are currently simply in defence mode all that would have done is perpetuate this back and forth with no real connection. So I deleted it in favour of this shorter version with less specifics. The final option would have been just not to respond to let this just go away.

I refer you back to my original response which stated.... perhaps MY monitor is darker than yours. I put it plain and clear with the first few words.

I just looked at your post on a second PC, and your original picture is almost identical to the revised one I did. The revised one being fine, but brighter on the second pc.

I know you said something like "it looks like it did" but as it came off the page that was ambiguous, and then with your huffing and puffing we have gone down an unnecessary sparring route.

All that aside the images were fine, depicting frosty mornings in the fall.... which you are welcome to  smile

Edit:

Having fiddled with my monitor even more since I wrote this I have added a Mea Culpa to the photographs thread you posted.

Last edited by Expat (Mar 05, 2017 6:26 pm)

#9 Mar 05, 2017 6:52 pm

houston
Active

Yeah, I got overly sensitive with the critical review. I do appreciate your honesty.
Have a good night Expat.

Board footer