You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Oct 09, 2019 10:51 am

New Historian
Active

Children of the ..... Revolution

I first landed in Kingston in August 1971, this nomadic kid lately of London, unwilling participant in my father’s worldwide wanderings. I can’t say it was love at first sight, au contraire. The drive from Palisadoes Airport to the city is daunting enough at the best of times, but at night as your first glimpse of your new home it was positively Kafkaesque, a vision of dystopia! From the back seat of my father’s Hillman Minx I stared out at a rolling scene of pure chaos: pushcart vendors, jerk sellers, blasting bars, mad drivers, honking trucks, belching buses, dallying bikers, hustlers, stray dogs, dead dogs, vagabonds and beggars. Kingston was an assault on the senses - of monumental proportions. I looked on in awe: shit, this place is cray-zee!

But I soon recovered from my initial culture shock and twelve months later I was hooked: I LOVE this place! Jamaica in the seventies was a hotbed of radicalism and I was lucky enough to be there at the right age (i.e. young, impressionable and naïve!) to hitch a ride on these exciting winds of change. At the Mona Campus of the University of the West Indies, firebrand lecturers like Trevor Munroe infused us with revolutionary zeal. Our bible was Walter Rodney’s “How Europe Underdeveloped Africa”; our heroes were Nkrumah, Fanon and of course Castro. We followed the anti-apartheid struggles in Southern Africa, we boycotted Barclays (if we could); we called out the sell-outs. We were committed, we were united, we knew with the pure certainty of the zealot that we were right! We were the children of the seventies, baby boomers in full bloom, changing the world. We were the Children of the (Armchair) Revolution.

Last edited by New Historian (Oct 09, 2019 10:52 am)

#2 Oct 09, 2019 11:18 am

piratejenny
Active

Re: Children of the ..... Revolution

Were you in school with the late Maurice Paterson? If so, please describe. Tks.

#3 Oct 09, 2019 12:00 pm

New Historian
Active

piratejenny wrote:

No I wasn't I'm afraid.

#4 Oct 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Expat
Active

piratejenny wrote:

Yayy, glad to see you surface.  smile

#5 Oct 10, 2019 9:56 am

piratejenny
Active

Lurker is my middle name. Greetings.

Board footer