You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Oct 29, 2019 9:38 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Old Grenadian House

I will say this.  When I was in Grenada in 1984, the NCOIC (NCO in charge) in my unit was an African American who made friends with a group of Grenadians.  He was hanging out with them for a couple of weeks and then he stopped.  We asked him why he stopped and he said "[f word] those guys!"

Evidently they were lecturing him on what they learned in the REVO.  They were telling him he was a tool of the white man.  That he was a pawn of the capitalists and that they were making the black man dance to their tune.  He was a useful idiot of the man.  That sort of thing.

That kind of surprised me because he was my boss and the boss of all the enlisted men in my unit on island.  Still, that's what they were telling him.  He didn't like it and stopped hanging out with them.

#12 Oct 29, 2019 9:46 pm

New Historian
Active

I totally get that - on both sides. The local fellas viewed him, eventually, as "one of them" and were simply trying to educate the lost brother lol! Grenadians may think that, but they'll almost never let that spill over into their dealings with "the white man".

#13 Oct 31, 2019 6:47 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I will say this.  When I was in Grenada in 1984, the NCOIC (NCO in charge) in my unit was an African American who made friends with a group of Grenadians.  He was hanging out with them for a couple of weeks and then he stopped.  We asked him why he stopped and he said "[f word] those guys!"

Evidently they were lecturing him on what they learned in the REVO.  They were telling him he was a tool of the white man.  That he was a pawn of the capitalists and that they were making the black man dance to their tune.  He was a useful idiot of the man.  That sort of thing.

That kind of surprised me because he was my boss and the boss of all the enlisted men in my unit on island.  Still, that's what they were telling him.  He didn't like it and stopped hanging out with them.

I think that maybe he was displaying some superiority, and maybe that is why they said that to him.  They are nice, and in all honesty, they tend to treat White folks better than local or even black Americans.  The truth is they hate Africans-American, they just doh trust them.

Board footer