You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Oct 30, 2019 11:14 am

New Historian
Active

Let the victims speak. Crimes of a "bloodless" revolution

My father Arthur Viechweg of Mt.Moritz. Official records state: Viechweg, Arthur; official prison entry date 9 JUL 1979; Preliminary Inquiry; person considered dangerous and a threat to national security including public safety and public order; comprised of persons who either have been engaged in activities of a subversive and counter-revolutionary nature. Charges dropped. Released three days later This is his story.

In the wee hours of July 9th, 1979, before the village roosters at Mt Moritz had a chance to salute the rising sun, a band of armed thugs, toting machine guns, led by one Peter David and under him a man known as Bug Man pounded on our door. My father got up to see who it was, only to have them force their way into the house uninvited. They proceeded to search without a warrant. Finding nothing, they arrested my father and locked him up at the old C.I.D head quarters for three days. He neither had recourse to an attorney nor was able to communicate with his family. During his confinement he was constantly harassed and threatened. At the end of his third day of confinement, he was thrown into a van and taken to a make shift kangaroo court, at the old York house and tried for treason.

The charges brought against him was that he was planning to overthrow the government, and that he had helped Derik Knight escape the country by boating him to another island. (Later it was discovered that a fisherman from Grand Mal was the one who ferried him to St Vincent) My father had been confined together with an American citizen named 'Mary Andrews' from the west coast of the USA and a guy known as Green Face. The lady and my father happened to be friends and moved in the same circles, the guy an acquaintance in passing. The kangaroo court judge was a guy who hailed from Trinidad called 'Allan Alexander ' and the self appointed prosecutor was a guy from the Central Committee called ' Oswu James.' Mrs.Buldhal recorded the transcriptions.
My father case was called last. It was psychological torture at its best. He had to wait patiently as he watched innocent citizens being accused and sent to prison with no recourse to a lawyer. He believed that would also become his fate. When his time came, he pleaded his innocence and Oswu James the prosecutor had a change of heart and dismissed the case against him. His American lady friend and Green face, were not that fortunate and was sent to prison on the trump up charges. A friend of my father who happened to be the manager of the Nutmeg restaurant at that time, had overheard Maurice Bishop and his associates discussing him. One of his men had suggested that my father was not a threat and Bishop's reply was. 'This man has three fishing boats and just bought a new car cash, he is a so and so big capitalist, petite bourgeoisie and we cannot stand for this.’

Shortly thereafter my father was arrested and confined for those three days and then tried and released. My father was one of the lucky ones to have escaped. He had attended Presentation boys college with Bishop, and tried to reach out to him after his arrest, and Bishop sent word that he did not want anything to do with him and refused to see or assist him. The only person in a high position who was willing to see him was another old college boy called Unison Whiteman, who assured my father there would be no further arrests and to contact him directly if any problem arose. Needless to say my father shed no tears over Bishop's execution. He called him a spiteful, envious and devious man. Clyde Viechweg ( Let the victims speak.. Crimes of a bloodless revolution )

#2 Oct 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Let the victims speak. Crimes of a "bloodless" revolution

March 13, 1979:  Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

#3 Oct 30, 2019 2:43 pm

New Historian
Active

"All animals are created equal...."

#4 Oct 30, 2019 6:08 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

My youngest is reading Animal Farm for school.  I have read it at least five times.  I gotta tell you the whole Snowball/Napoleon thing has some parallels with Bishop/Coard.

Of course my reference was to the famous Who song.  It also has applications here.

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

Just like yesterday
We don't get fooled again, no, no

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

Yeaah!

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
We don't get fooled again

Don't get fooled again, no no

Yeaaah!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

#5 Oct 31, 2019 7:03 am

Slice
Active

Leh me say this Mt Moritz, was ah very special case.  Every citizen in Grenada, knew not to mess with folks from Mt Moritz.  Because of their high color, they thought they could get away with any damn thing. Not sure if allyu remember that one cop, whose duty it was to patrol down town, that guy was always falling down drunk, and did everything he can and got away with his bad behavior. Like ah said before I was ah Cricket empire from me team and we always play the 100% white team from Mt Moritz. 

I quickly learn, that you do not give anyone out LBW, or caught behind.  You just waited until they came to your area.

Mung-mungs thought they were better than us and they were 99% Gairite.  Those are facts, not ah soul can dispute.  Lord now that place is about 95% black.

#6 Oct 31, 2019 10:08 am

Dancer
Active

Well knowing nothing of the 'Mount ' .
I never -the less  called it correct and   is seeing the population of the 'mount' has changed a little.  Lol.
Not a big-big stretch of  information  but  .  Thanks   SLICE . lmao
But Slice my man .  ..   Progress , some blacks on the mount these days. lol.  95% NO ! lol.

.... Oh  Lord ! The same story played out in 99.9 % of the islands.
'The mount'  all over.
smh. lol.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BTW New Historian ...... one of the few post that I have seen on TS , Regular people  speaking of their (personal) experiences of the REVO.
What does  the regular 'man in the street   say of the experience '. Family Friends.
Must be tons of stories, about , family , friends  , and the impact.
Should be lots to write about  , trying to get over the trauma.
Dancer , just saying. Lo
Express yourself .

Last edited by Dancer (Oct 31, 2019 10:35 am)

#7 Oct 31, 2019 10:57 am

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

My father Arthur Viechweg of Mt.Moritz. Official records state: Viechweg, Arthur; official prison entry date 9 JUL 1979; Preliminary Inquiry; person considered dangerous and a threat to national security including public safety and public order; comprised of persons who either have been engaged in activities of a subversive and counter-revolutionary nature. Charges dropped. Released three days later This is his story.

In the wee hours of July 9th, 1979, before the village roosters at Mt Moritz had a chance to salute the rising sun, a band of armed thugs, toting machine guns, led by one Peter David and under him a man known as Bug Man pounded on our door. My father got up to see who it was, only to have them force their way into the house uninvited. They proceeded to search without a warrant. Finding nothing, they arrested my father and locked him up at the old C.I.D head quarters for three days. He neither had recourse to an attorney nor was able to communicate with his family. During his confinement he was constantly harassed and threatened. At the end of his third day of confinement, he was thrown into a van and taken to a make shift kangaroo court, at the old York house and tried for treason.

The charges brought against him was that he was planning to overthrow the government, and that he had helped Derik Knight escape the country by boating him to another island. (Later it was discovered that a fisherman from Grand Mal was the one who ferried him to St Vincent) My father had been confined together with an American citizen named 'Mary Andrews' from the west coast of the USA and a guy known as Green Face. The lady and my father happened to be friends and moved in the same circles, the guy an acquaintance in passing. The kangaroo court judge was a guy who hailed from Trinidad called 'Allan Alexander ' and the self appointed prosecutor was a guy from the Central Committee called ' Oswu James.' Mrs.Buldhal recorded the transcriptions.
My father case was called last. It was psychological torture at its best. He had to wait patiently as he watched innocent citizens being accused and sent to prison with no recourse to a lawyer. He believed that would also become his fate. When his time came, he pleaded his innocence and Oswu James the prosecutor had a change of heart and dismissed the case against him. His American lady friend and Green face, were not that fortunate and was sent to prison on the trump up charges. A friend of my father who happened to be the manager of the Nutmeg restaurant at that time, had overheard Maurice Bishop and his associates discussing him. One of his men had suggested that my father was not a threat and Bishop's reply was. 'This man has three fishing boats and just bought a new car cash, he is a so and so big capitalist, petite bourgeoisie and we cannot stand for this.’

Shortly thereafter my father was arrested and confined for those three days and then tried and released. My father was one of the lucky ones to have escaped. He had attended Presentation boys college with Bishop, and tried to reach out to him after his arrest, and Bishop sent word that he did not want anything to do with him and refused to see or assist him. The only person in a high position who was willing to see him was another old college boy called Unison Whiteman, who assured my father there would be no further arrests and to contact him directly if any problem arose. Needless to say my father shed no tears over Bishop's execution. He called him a spiteful, envious and devious man. Clyde Viechweg ( Let the victims speak.. Crimes of a bloodless revolution )

One more ah wanted to add.  I just do not believe that Bishop would do and say such ah ting. Bishop was ah genuinely nice person.  Yes Unison was also nice, but ah just doh believe that part of the story.  Knowing these guys met weekly, it is hard for me to understand, that  they did not talk about this guy and the two decide what they are going to do.

#8 Oct 31, 2019 11:03 am

Slice
Active

Dancer wrote:

Well knowing nothing of the 'Mount ' .
I never -the less  called it correct and   is seeing the population of the 'mount' has changed a little.  Lol.
Not a big-big stretch of  information  but  .  Thanks   SLICE . lmao
But Slice my man .  ..   Progress , some blacks on the mount these days. lol.  95% NO ! lol.

.... Oh  Lord ! The same story played out in 99.9 % of the islands.
'The mount'  all over.
smh. lol.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BTW New Historian ...... one of the few post that I have seen on TS , Regular people  speaking of their (personal) experiences of the REVO.
What does  the regular 'man in the street   say of the experience '. Family Friends.
Must be tons of stories, about , family , friends  , and the impact.
Should be lots to write about  , trying to get over the trauma.
Dancer , just saying. Lo
Express yourself .

Most ah dem went to Australia.  Now I work with two of dem and also ah very sexy woman.  The two guys was very nice, I think his last name was Hinds.  The woman was married, but she had ah boyfriend, who had ah restaurant on the Carenage. Man she would not us even ah tenth look, but she was real sexy.

Board footer