You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Nov 07, 2019 8:51 pm

Expat
Active

I know you say GMO crops are increasing yields in your area

But are they?  and will these yields be maintained, or will they as has happened decline as the microbiome of the soil, and the insect population is depleted,

>>
For example, corn is the number one crop in the US, and 88% of corn grown in America is genetically modified. Still, a study done by the International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability showed that Eastern Europe’s non-GMO crops are yielding slightly better than ours. And in some cases (for example sugar beets), a notable lack of increase, when compared to Europe’s crops, has been shown—putting the US considerably behind Europe in its agricultural production.

Another point to keep in mind is that GMOs, even if they were increasing yields at the rate they claimed they would, are not meant to be more prolific than regular crops. This means that they do not increase yields by the seeds themselves producing more or better plants. Instead, the increase is supposed to be due to less crop loss.

Crop loss occurs when natural pests and weeds kill or damage plants. Genetically modified corn, for example, is supposed to raise yields by resisting pests—a feature that Monsanto built-in by splicing a toxin-producing gene into its seeds. Another tactic is creating crops that “resist” Roundup, allowing weeds to be killed in the field without damaging the modified plants.

One of the reasons that GMOs are not producing the yields that they promised is that nature is designed to change and evolve in order to keep up with the environment. That means that pests can develop resistance to the toxins in genetically modified corn, and plants can develop resistance to weed killer. This means that as resistance increases, in order to maintain the promised increased yield more and more chemical pesticides and herbicides must be applied to crops. This is expensive for farmers, terrible for the environment, and dangerous for consumers.

Monsanto made promises about crop yields that they have not been able to keep—and they are still claiming that their products benefit the world by creating more food for less money. Instead, GMO crops are failing to deliver the positive effects they promised, falling short of their claims to help farmers while exacting a high environmental and health cost from the rest of us. Despite the mounting evidence that GMOs are causing more harm than good, companies like Monsanto are still influencing what the public sees when it comes to information about genetically modified crops and the chemicals used on them. The public deserves to know the truth.

<<

#2 Nov 08, 2019 12:21 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: I know you say GMO crops are increasing yields in your area

The United States has by far the greatest corn yield per acre.  It isn't even close.  The US produces far more corn per acre than the next nearest country.

Table-1-corn-yield.jpg

https://www.agprofessional.com/article/ … orn-yields

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Nov 09, 2019 10:04 am)

#3 Nov 08, 2019 10:02 am

New Historian
Active

American corn is like American apples: big and beautiful and tasteless. When I used to export fruit and vegetables from Jamaica, the American market would get all the big ones and Europe the smaller sweeter ones lol. Like mangoes, those huge Haydens are huge sellers but dem doh have no taste! Same with Bananas, thise Chicitas same story. Big and bland

#4 Nov 08, 2019 11:43 am

Slice
Active

The hottest selling bananas in Grenada is Rock fig.  So ah see some up here in Whole foods.  Lord the damn thing taste like sheet, the texture as compared to Grenada, is ah just cant describe it.

#5 Nov 08, 2019 3:36 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The corn we are talking about isn't eaten in whole kernels  It is inedible in that form.  It is used to make sweetner and corn flour products like corn bread and tortillas.  Nobody eats in kernel form.

2017_corn_usage_676D7C69A797F.jpg

#6 Nov 08, 2019 3:44 pm

New Historian
Active

"Nobody eats in kernel form."

What?? You people don't eat boiled corn? At barbecues?

#7 Nov 08, 2019 8:17 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Of course we do but that is "sweet corn".  It is a totally different thing and represents a tiny fraction of what is grown in Iowa.  Far less than 1% of the corn grown.

By the way, sweet corn is delicious but, again, it is a totally different thing from the 99%+ corn grown in the US.

You know how hard popcorn kernels are?  That's how hard the corn in Iowa is when it is harvested.  It would break your teeth to eat it.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Nov 08, 2019 8:21 pm)

#8 Nov 08, 2019 8:30 pm

New Historian
Active

Well I learn something today!

#9 Nov 10, 2019 1:29 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

The United States has by far the greatest corn yield per acre.  It isn't even close.  The US produces far more corn per acre than the next nearest country.

https://i.postimg.cc/0QMgzKKp/Table-1-corn-yield.jpg

https://www.agprofessional.com/article/ … orn-yields

I refer you back to two of the paragraphs from my cut and paste.

>>Another point to keep in mind is that GMOs, even if they were increasing yields at the rate they claimed they would, are not meant to be more prolific than regular crops. This means that they do not increase yields by the seeds themselves producing more or better plants. Instead, the increase is supposed to be due to less crop loss.

Crop loss occurs when natural pests and weeds kill or damage plants. Genetically modified corn, for example, is supposed to raise yields by resisting pests—a feature that Monsanto built-in by splicing a toxin-producing gene into its seeds. Another tactic is creating crops that “resist” Roundup, allowing weeds to be killed in the field without damaging the modified plants.<<

Ergo more or sustained yield achieved by destroying the biomass of the soil, and injuring the non hostile insect life, plus feeding toxin'ed or antibiotic same thing, feed to cattle and animals that you eat.  Thereby putting a herbicide that was never tested for it's affects on humans as it was never going to get into the human food chain.... into the human food chain. Ergo humans consume it via the flesh and bye products.

Now if we just type in crop yields and do not simply go to an American based stat site the story though similar is not as glowing as you think

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/maize-yields

For 2014

USA       10.73
Spain     11.41
France    10.05
Germany 10.68
Italy        10.62
Greece     11.13
Kuwait     30.75
UAE.        20.25
New Zealand 10.29

The UK didn't have numbers for that date.

However the general take from that for me is that depending on topography and climate you can achieve very similar rates without screwing the World and it's inhabitants.

Then also it also depends on the crop, as for example Rapeseed... what Americans call canola.

America 1.81
England 3.64
Ireland  3.64
France   3.68
Germany 4.48
CZECH    3.95

Maybe their antiquated farming methods aren't as pathetic as Monsanto would have us believe?

Last edited by Expat (Nov 10, 2019 1:31 pm)

#10 Nov 10, 2019 5:46 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

So you are going to sit there and with a straight face show me stats that say Kuwait has 300% of the yield per acre of corn as the United States and tell me that is a meaningful statistic?

Let's do this some more.  You keep on lecturing me about corn and I will lecture you on what its like to be a boy in England and an expatriate in Grenada.  It would make as much sense.

Sheesh.

US corn yields are off the charts.  Even the averages I showed you are for the whole country.  In Iowa my family constistantly gets 230 bushels per acre.  Nobody anywhere can come close to that on a large scale.   Be serious.

Board footer