You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Nov 16, 2019 1:30 pm

New Historian
Active

Why West Indians migrate to the UK - 1956

Tues Feb 8, 1956:

The Editor

Daily Argosy

Georgetown

Sir,

It is significant that the vast majority of the Westindians who are emigrating to England are ‘black’ people, that the appeal of England seems not, by any means, as strong in other racial groups in the West Indies.

Westindians emigrate to England not merely because of economic urgency and the pursuit of improved standards of living – though quite naturally they are influenced by these factors – but because of a psychological which physical discomforts of climate, accommodation etc. have not been able to suppress. Westindians emigrate to England because they have England in their blood, and sooner or later have to make the pilgrimage for a sort of inverted expiation, because simply ‘going to England’ constitutes the fulfillment of a deep-seated desire that goes right back into childhood, if it isn’t hereditary, that the Westindian may not even be conscious of.

Generally the East Indian identifies himself with ‘Mother India’, the Chinese with China etc., but the Westindian Negro has, in a certain sense unfortunately, only ‘Mother England’. Like the Englishman his native tongue is English, his education is English, so even though he looks different it should not surprise us how very much the Westindian is, despite himself, the Englishman.

Whatever it is that the Westindian is seeking in the mother country – and my contention is that it is something intangible – by merely going there he will find it, and when he returns he will be a better Westindian.

Yours etc.

#2 Nov 17, 2019 12:25 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: Why West Indians migrate to the UK - 1956

Man Historian , each of  the  4 sections  begs for answers, questions an insight . ( research , psychology  ,  study and questioning one self.
I  tried to answer this post  several times. Scrapped them all . Decided to go blind.

1  .... Black immigration  .... and reasons
2 .....   Why not many white people did .
3. ....Westindian Identity.
4 .  ... JCB's better   ......  Westindians  ?

*That was written in 1956 . Lord !!!.
Now I am so sorry about giving the finger to some lectures. (lol)  FOR I would enjoy sitting down and hearing the writer of that letter  talk about what  they wrote then in 1956 , from today's  perspective.

....... that was a 'Heavy' letter New  Historian.

Last edited by Dancer (Nov 17, 2019 12:32 pm)

#3 Nov 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Dancer
Active

Dancer wrote:

Man Historian , each of  the  4 sections  begs for answers, questions an insight . ( research , psychology  ,  study and questioning one self.
I  tried to answer this post  several times. Scrapped them all . Decided to go blind.

Now I am so sorry about giving the finger to some lectures. (lol)  FOR I would enjoy sitting down and hearing the writer of that letter  talk about what  they wrote then in 1956 , from today's  perspective.

>>>>>

I had to chuckle ,  ( --now where could you use words  like that  but on TS .  If you are not a writer.  ..... 'cool with me. " lol.)

Why no white people immigrating to England ? ??
They were Exiled , sent to eaten alive in the Tropics  , for being crooks , the bottom of the barrel   Englanders and poor.
THEY THOUGHT.
Lmao.

SO ?  ....... GOING BACK .... after this milk and honey  and being bosses , overseers  ,  in the islands. Having  ..
Wenches , servants , Jobs , Land .
Going Back .  ..... NO  SIR  !!!
I ain't gine back !!

....... who could blame them ?  "What your say New Historian " 
Who knows  NH , you might have had some of that gravy too.
This is so sad. Lmao.

#4 Nov 17, 2019 8:23 pm

New Historian
Active

Dancer wrote:

Thanks, that was from my father. He did his spells in England but unlike most of the Windrush generation, he came back home to the West Indies - twice. For people of my father's generation, Britain really was the mother country, so thorough was the job the Empire had done to indoctrinate its far-flung colonial subjects.

Apart from the twin accidents of geography and race, my father could be said to be just as British as the British. Just like every colonial schoolboy from Barbados to Bombay, he’d been fed a constant diet of Britishness all his life. He studied British history, British geography and English literature; he learned by rote from the same text books as his English counterparts. The Empire had stamped every aspect of Britishness on her colonies – except the weather. Every facet of daily life: laws, language, government and sports – was modeled off Britain. Every house had two framed photographs in their living room: Jesus Christ - and King George VI. The newspapers everyone read were English, and for honesty and reliability, next to the Bible was the BBC World Service.

Last edited by New Historian (Nov 17, 2019 8:27 pm)

#5 Nov 18, 2019 7:35 am

Slice
Active

NH ah ent buying none ah dat BULLSHIT.  They migrated because of economics.

#6 Nov 18, 2019 10:55 am

Dancer
Active

I was waiting to see if slice had anything to say .  True to form .   Did not disappoint .   Swiping   to  the google .  Lmao.
Well he did have a point about economics.
" But Slice my man , didn't the part about mother India and China , ring a bell ? "
Peschief , you and Slice are  brothers. Lol.

#7 Nov 18, 2019 3:44 pm

New Historian
Active

"Westindians emigrate to England not merely because of economic urgency and the pursuit of improved standards of living"

I guess all the rest is actually just fill and flower like Sliceman says, and actually as the Windrush migrants found out, soon after they/we landed in England. THIS is the "Mother Country"??? Well you coulda fooled me.

Board footer