You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 14, 2020 11:48 am

Slice
Active

BEING LACTOSE INTOLARANT IS AH LIVING NIGHTMARE

You wonder why you stay sick for so long? One must watch and read every food label and also the medications you take.  Even eye drops can also make you sick.  Even if something is not made from milk and just made in the same factory, can make you sick.  A trace of lactose can make you sick.

#2 Jan 14, 2020 3:19 pm

WH Man
Active

Re: BEING LACTOSE INTOLARANT IS AH LIVING NIGHTMARE

Slice wrote:

You wonder why you stay sick for so long? One must watch and read every food label and also the medications you take.  Even eye drops can also make you sick.  Even if something is not made from milk and just made in the same factory, can make you sick.      " A trace of lactose can make you sick.

"

It really doesn't make one "sick", it's the adult mammal's  body natural mechanism for rejecting lactose. The stomachs of young mammals contain the enzyme lactase primarily for the breakdown of the sugar component of milk (lactose). When mammals become adults, most naturally stop producing lactase (some still do), hence the body's inability to properly metabolize lactose. What you experience is the body's rejection of milk...…...being lactose intolerant. Young mammals including babies need all the nutritive elements from milk for proper human development. Adults don't, we get those from a multitude of sources while babies rely mostly on liquids, primarily milk. Nature provides for us in many unique ways.

#3 Jan 14, 2020 8:14 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

But then, about 12,000 years ago in what is now Turkey, a random mutation in one of my ancestors' DNA gave them the ability to digest milk even as an adult.  This gave him or her a new source of nutrition that was passed on - eventually - to me.  That means....

Milk - yummy
Cheese - yummy
Ice Cream - yummy
Butter - yummy
Cream - Yummy

:-)

#4 Jan 14, 2020 11:05 pm

WH Man
Active

Lucky you, hang tough my man!

#5 Jan 14, 2020 11:44 pm

New Historian
Active

Milk - yummy
Cheese - yummy
Ice Cream - yummy
Butter - yummy
Cream - Yummy

I grew up in England of the sixties, when they force-fed you with dairy products! Drinka pinta milka day. Cheese please Louise. Go to work on an egg. I LOVE dairy!!

#6 Jan 15, 2020 2:14 am

Calypso
Active

Slice wrote:

You wonder why you stay sick for so long? One must watch and read every food label and also the medications you take.  Even eye drops can also make you sick.  Even if something is not made from milk and just made in the same factory, can make you sick.  A trace of lactose can make you sick.

Slice, stop being gross! at least 80% of people of African descent are lactose intolerance and cannot digest that sugar found in milk products. Use almond or cashew milk as I do. Stop farting! it's rather sickening.

#7 Jan 15, 2020 8:30 am

Expat
Active

I can't speak for eye drops, weird, but milk from cows should not be part of a human adults diet, and while there are benefits for small children in terms of calcium uptake etc, cows milk is designed to raise cows to maturity as quickly as nature will allow. It is not intended to be utilised by humans, and does not provide much of the nutrition human milk normally does.
We think of mothers nursing past a few months as gross, but maybe that is what is intended to happen until children can digest a wide range of foods.

#8 Jan 15, 2020 8:58 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Sorry sport, milk, butter, cheese and cream are meant to be a part of my diet.  I have an evolutionary adaptation that makes it so.  It's called the T*-13910 allele and it is more common in the British Islands than anywhere else in the world.

Lactase tolerance is a text-book example of evolutionary natural selection in humans. it has a stronger selection pressure than any other known human gene because opening up a whole new range of nutrition represented a significant evolutionary advantage.  Dairy into adulthood is and has been a great blessing.

#9 Jan 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Expat
Active

Somehow I don't think I mentioned Butter (high on Omega3) and good for you in sensible quantities.

Cheese and cream I would not make a judgement, all of those are processed milk, rather than the basic material.... Which as stated was intended for Cow babies to thrive, not humans.

Coming from the British Isles for several generations, I have not been tested, but have never had an issue with dairy. However being tolerant does not necessarily equate to being right for you.

I am pretty tolerant of wheat, rice, oats, etc, and although in some forms like cake or pastry I might get heart burn, generally speaking I seem to be tolerant. However science seems to be progressively accepting it is not well tolerated by our micro-biome, and as a result there are rafts of inflammatory illnesses being developed by increasing numbers of people, and it is not all down to GMO, or HFCS. Mankind has yet to fully develop the enzymes to cope with these new fangled cereals... after all they are only what 10,000 years old. Almost a blink of an eye in our history.

Board footer