You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 16, 2020 8:26 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

My grandma died this week...

You are shocked that a 56 year old man - who is a grandfather himself - could have a grandma, right?  Well, I did.  She passed but, while I feel sad for myself, there is no sadness for grandma. She was 96, was without pain and had her mind to the end. She passed easily. I think she was ready.

Just ten days before she died, she asked her daughter to take her to Victor, Iowa where her other daughter still lives in the former home of grandma's parents, my great grandparents. There she visited with all four of her children together and many of her grandchildren. It was out of character for her to ask to travel anywhere so we were all surprised when she did. I don’t think she had been together with all of her children at once for years. At the time, no one knew it was goodbye but, in retrospect, it was a fine goodbye.

All in all, grandma got about a good a deal in her physical life as any of us can hope for.

Marjorie Marie Brown, age 96, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Marengo and Victor, died on Tuesday, January 14, 2020.

Marjorie was born in Victor on September 27, 1923, the second born child of George and Edith (Niestedt) Bendschneider. She and her older sister, Laurene and younger sister, Marie were raised on her parents' farm three miles southeast of Victor. She attended the nearby Hartford #7 country school and later the Victor Public School. She was confirmed in the Christian faith at St. James Lutheran Church in Victor.

Marjorie was united in marriage to Darlo Eugene Smith in December of 1941 at the Sacred Heart Church in Rock Island, Illinois. The couple lived in Rock Island while Darlo served in Army in the Pacific theater during World War II. Darlo was killed in action on Okinawa in April1945. After the war, Marjorie returned home to Victor.

Marjorie was married to Gene Henry Brown in January of 1957 in Kirksville, Missouri. The couple made their home in Victor where Gene was a builder-contractor. Gene died in an automobile accident in November of 1965.

Marjorie was the mother of two daughters and two sons: Joyce, Jim, Christel and Reynold. All of her children were raised in Victor.

Marjorie was a kind, caring and cheerful person with a great sense of humor and an easy laugh. She was also very thoughtful, reasonable and had very good sense of the ways of the world. Marjorie didn’t have a judgmental bone in her body or a harsh word to say about anyone.

Marjorie was very proud of her children and adored her grandchildren. She took great pride in her home and always made it an inviting and comfortable place for her family and guests. She was a renowned cook and her pies were widely recognized as among the best in the county. She was loved by her grandchildren who always looked forward to a visit with their grandma. She was generous to a fault.

Marjorie was a life-long Christian of the Lutheran faith and, while full of questions, never doubted the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jan 16, 2020 8:29 pm)

#2 Jan 16, 2020 10:08 pm

houston
Active

Re: My grandma died this week...

Very nice obituary RD.
My condolence to you and your family. No doubt your grandma was a wonderful lady that enjoyed a good long life.
My mother shares the same name, Marjorie.

#3 Jan 17, 2020 12:55 am

New Historian
Active

Beautiful sentiments beautifully expressed Rob. She was a wonderful woman, who produced wonderful offsprings

#4 Jan 17, 2020 8:54 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Thank you.  Here is a photo taken with two of her great granddaughters - my cousin's daughters - just about six months ago.

82546918-1444247782399593-4147497592437080064-o.jpg

#5 Jan 17, 2020 1:54 pm

WH Man
Active

My deepest sympathy to you and family. May God bless all.

#6 Jan 17, 2020 7:56 pm

gripe
Active

RD, please accept my condolences on the passing of your beloved grandmother. You and your relatives will doubtless have the benefit of fond memories of your grandmother as well as her inspiration, to always guide each of you. May your grandmother R.I.P.

#7 Jan 17, 2020 10:19 pm

Expat
Active

Condolences for your loss. One blessing amongst many I suspect, is that she was with you for so long.

#8 Jan 18, 2020 10:38 am

Real Distwalker
Active

She was sharp and a wealth of information.  Last time we spoke, I talked to her about living on a farm without electricity or running water in the 1920s and 30s.  She was a third generation American but they still spoke German at home when she was little.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jan 18, 2020 10:39 am)

Board footer