You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Feb 04, 2020 12:39 pm

Expat
Active

Re: My father's first encounter with Jamaicans!

Slice wrote:

Leh me take up for dem ah bit.  Now I can say this because ah tink he and he first wife divorce.  Grenada Lord Slim was dating ah Jamaican woman.  She was from we area Washington DC; so he used to leave Brooklyn and come visit us along, with he Jamaican woman, and LORD! she was very very special.  Apart from Kiaks, she was the most wholesome person I ever met. Saw Slim in Grenada in 2018 in Spice basket and he could not remember her.

Then ah was dating ah Jamaican, she was sexy and wicked.  She din like Jamaican men; because ah tink she knew for sure, because of her ways, they was going to kill her.  She is on the phone, with her soon to be husband in Trinidad and having sex at the same time.

And it didn't bother you at all to know she was babbling away on the phone while you was making your own connection? Talk about crossed lines.

#12 Feb 04, 2020 1:58 pm

Slice
Active

Remember ah was forced to come to America; but once ah got here it became fun.  HELL! no it did not bother me one little bit.  I knew that guy, he was living with another woman and had two others on the side.  If he was that DOTISH, too damn bad.  I was not looking for wife.

Expat you should know this,  It is ah part of Grenadian men to have multiple women.  At 24 years ole that was all that was on me mind, women and booze.

When ah left Grenada, the hardest thing to get in Grenada was ah woman.  Ah come to the US and nice sexy woman throwing themselves at me.  Man ah remember one night ah went to ah club, and the Bartender brought me ah drink, ah kinda refuse, then he pointed out ah woman in ah corner and he said she sent it to you.  Boy that kinda thing was new to me; so, ah took full advantage of it.

The worst thing any woman could call ah man is cold.  I was called that in Grenada once, and ah swear it will never ever happen again.

I am ah good boy now, so ah behaving. Age bring reason.

Last edited by Slice (Feb 04, 2020 1:59 pm)

#13 Feb 04, 2020 3:14 pm

New Historian
Active

What used to piss me off in UK was people thinking every Black is a Jamaican - NO, we're NOT! When I finally went to Jamaica, my first reaction was one of shock and horror: who ARE these people lol?? But 12 months later and I was hooked: I get it. I've had a love-hate relationship with the place ever since: I love it most of the time, but I hate it when they murder my friends.

Jamaicans are naturally vivacious, aggressive people. The good side of this is that Jamaicans can be the warmest, most welcoming people on earth. Within minutes of meeting a total stranger, a Jamaican will be inviting them over for a drink. That is: if they like you. But if they DON'T like you or, worse yet, if you disrespect them – watch out. Jamaicans make great friends; fearsome enemies.

Jamaica is always chaotic, frequently frightening and occasionally barbaric; but these are its charms. Jamaica can also be frustrating, infuriating and painful.

#14 Feb 04, 2020 4:42 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Slice wrote:

I am ah good boy now, so ah behaving. Age bring reason.

Age bring low-T.

#15 Feb 04, 2020 8:43 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

Our father would have us spellbound with his war stories in England, starting with his first night on the ship that took him away from Grenada, in February 1941:

“We were all scared witless, especially at night! We’d all want to sleep on deck, forever on the lookout for telltale signs of periscopes – which of course we couldn’t see, anyway! We knew that U-boats were all around the Caribbean, wreaking havoc on merchant shipping, some of us had even seen them. And there we were, in a Royal Navy ship: a giant bullseye!”

The ship left Grenada and sailed northwards, stopping at other islands along the way - Saint Vincent, Barbados, Saint Lucia, Dominica, Antigua and Saint Kitts - picking up more young men at each stop. They all shared a common bond: they were Britain bound. In total about 520 West Indians joined up for the scheme, and the mood heightened as the ship gathered momentum from island to island.

That is, until they reached Jamaica.

THEN, the trouble started. The Jamaicans were a nightmare: everything was a problem! Their first fight was over accommodation. By the time the ship reached Jamaica, all the best cabins had already been allocated, to the early comers. Sorry, blame it on geography. The Jamaicans didn’t like the food, didn’t like the crew, and most of all, didn’t like the small islanders, having all the best berths!

Those same small islanders were aghast: who ARE these people? Even after the ship sailed from Jamaica, the Jamaicans were still causing trouble, and in any fight, were quick to pull out their weapon of choice: an Okapi ratchet knife.

80 years later, and nothing much has changed lol!!!

You bastard! You bloody bastard!!!

#16 Feb 04, 2020 8:49 pm

New Historian
Active

Calypso wrote:
New Historian wrote:

Our father would have us spellbound with his war stories in England, starting with his first night on the ship that took him away from Grenada, in February 1941:

“We were all scared witless, especially at night! We’d all want to sleep on deck, forever on the lookout for telltale signs of periscopes – which of course we couldn’t see, anyway! We knew that U-boats were all around the Caribbean, wreaking havoc on merchant shipping, some of us had even seen them. And there we were, in a Royal Navy ship: a giant bullseye!”

The ship left Grenada and sailed northwards, stopping at other islands along the way - Saint Vincent, Barbados, Saint Lucia, Dominica, Antigua and Saint Kitts - picking up more young men at each stop. They all shared a common bond: they were Britain bound. In total about 520 West Indians joined up for the scheme, and the mood heightened as the ship gathered momentum from island to island.

That is, until they reached Jamaica.

THEN, the trouble started. The Jamaicans were a nightmare: everything was a problem! Their first fight was over accommodation. By the time the ship reached Jamaica, all the best cabins had already been allocated, to the early comers. Sorry, blame it on geography. The Jamaicans didn’t like the food, didn’t like the crew, and most of all, didn’t like the small islanders, having all the best berths!

Those same small islanders were aghast: who ARE these people? Even after the ship sailed from Jamaica, the Jamaicans were still causing trouble, and in any fight, were quick to pull out their weapon of choice: an Okapi ratchet knife.

80 years later, and nothing much has changed lol!!!

You bastard! You bloody bastard!!!

Don't shoot the messenger baby, if the cap fits ...

Hey I love Jamaica, but don't look at the world through blinkers. Open your eyes.

#17 Feb 04, 2020 8:50 pm

Calypso
Active

Slice wrote:

You could say dat again, not ah FRIGGING thing has changed 80 years later.  My first was in a party at my aunts house, I was playing some Mighty Sparrow, when some Jamaicans walked in, they quickly walk over where the music was playing, removed the Sparrow LP and started playing they Reggae.  I jumped up and started walking towards him and someone held me back.

That night however, I did go home with ah Jamaican woman.

https://jamaicans.com/thetop20jamaicans … orfiction/

#18 Feb 04, 2020 9:12 pm

New Historian
Active

Calypso wrote:
Slice wrote:

You could say dat again, not ah FRIGGING thing has changed 80 years later.  My first was in a party at my aunts house, I was playing some Mighty Sparrow, when some Jamaicans walked in, they quickly walk over where the music was playing, removed the Sparrow LP and started playing they Reggae.  I jumped up and started walking towards him and someone held me back.

That night however, I did go home with ah Jamaican woman.

https://jamaicans.com/thetop20jamaicans … orfiction/

When was the last time you were in Jamaica? A long time ago, no?

Board footer