You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Feb 06, 2020 2:29 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Coming soon to a nation near you...

Expat likes to bring up the fact that certain parts of the American life expectancy have fallen over the last several years.  Here is why and nobody should be smug about it because nobody is immune.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brit … -7tjlzzq7x

#2 Feb 06, 2020 4:14 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Coming soon to a nation near you...

"Continue reading
Get a 1 month free trial.

Unlimited digital access."

Not me

#3 Feb 06, 2020 10:46 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Expat likes to bring up the fact that certain parts of the American life expectancy have fallen over the last several years.  Here is why and nobody should be smug about it because nobody is immune.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brit … -7tjlzzq7x

Not just American, as America has very kindly exported its addictive poisons to the rest of the World. Quite a few countries that didn't have "Western" illnesses, like Japan for example courtesy of fast foods have started to have markedly higher incidence of illnesses they never had before.

Just as America might have had a potential for lead poisoning going back through the years due to bullet ingress, the "American" population however newly migrated did not have any great quantity of illnesses until just after the turn of the last century. One notable addition to the diet being Crisco, but followed by many unhealthy factory made foods. Not failing to mention probably the biggest export CocainCola, of which I have got to say I have had more than one or two myself over the years. Maybe it's down to palate, but The cocaincola I knew in the early 50's tasted absolutely nothing like anything they turn out now. I qualify that no drink of that ilk has passed my lips in several years.

Drug addiction whether fostered by dumb doctors, or simply acquired via street life is a curse which is ruining society.

In Britain's case maybe it's payback for pushing opium at the Chinese.

#4 Feb 07, 2020 10:13 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Human beings like fried, smoked and roasted food.  Human beings like sweet food.  Human beings like to become intoxicated. They always have and they always will.

#5 Feb 07, 2020 11:30 am

Expat
Active

Actually no they didn't as far as sugar consumption goes. Certainly around the Dark ages at it was called the food was dire in terms of the modern palate, but while probably boring and limited it was still probably more healthy than the crap being pumped at us now.

Yes natural sugars within things like honey, which would have been a rarity for most people if you go back to pre Walter Raliegh days. However, normal sugar in a packet is much worse for you than honey, which if locally sourced and not pasteurise is beneficial, and will reduce the likelihood of you having allergies to various pollens as you get micro doses from the honey. It is still a sugar though.

Having seen many of American food products in our IGA, the absolute garbage that is in them is frightening. Just read the labels, it is junk.

Moderation is key, you can drink.... but we know if you over do it you get drunk... and if you persistently over do it you become an alcoholic. If you eat small amounts of sugar via starchy foods you will probably be ok. If you eat a plateful of starchy foods (grenadian stylie) and you drink sweet drinks like swee or Coke, or Sprite, and you make stewed meat with burnt sugar you are almost completely destined to be over weight, get heart disease and diabetes. Plus dozens of other illnesses and complications.

Modern humanity especially in the west is being poisoned by big pharma and big agriculture. Especially in America where the $ is all.

I eat some crap foods sourced from the UK, but their list of bad things is considerably less than similar items from America.

#6 Feb 07, 2020 12:43 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

People have liked sweets since the dawn of humanity.  Our knuckle dragging ancestors would have went for a donut if they hard a chance.

I despise this notion that if people eat a steady diet of processed foods it is somehow the fault of those who made the processed foods available to them.  It isn't.  Nobody shoves that shit down their greasy pie holes.  Nobody pours gin down the throat of an alcoholic. Nobody forces anyone to smoke weed or pop pills.

You can blame McDonald's, distilleries and pharmaceutical companies if you want but it isn't their fault.   It is the fault of the people who partake.

As for your stupid, ignorant, uninformed view of American vs British food.... 

I can live on a steady diet of kale, broccoli and carrots grown organically by hairy legged hippy girls in the US if I want to.  There is an order of magnitude more paleo-diet, organic food available in the US than in the UK.

I can also go to merry old England and live on a steady diet of Big Macs and chocolate frosted sugar bombs if that is what I choose to do.

#7 Feb 07, 2020 3:10 pm

Expat
Active

You can despise what you like and drop to your derogatory terms as much as you usually do, but to blame the public for cynical entrapment by manufacturers is as asinine as you seem to think my point of view stupid. Manufacturers only look at what is more profitable, and if it means doubling the amount of sugar or HFCS to create food junkies they will do it. They definitely DO do it.

The public may be stupid, they may be ill informed, they may not have the slightest idea as to what they are consuming, but they are victims of advertising, and misinformation from manufacturing interest groups. You cannot write that off with your haughty it's THEIR responsibility.

You instantly go into defend America mode, if you bothered to get off your high horse you might have noted I mentioned crap foods from the UK. Because there are certainly bad food options there. However the basic ingredients are GENERALLY, although not always less toxic that the sheit pumped out to us by America.

Yes YOU can eat kale, YOU can run heat pumps, YOU seem to be in an advantaged position. Most of the underprivileged  in both your country... and mine.... have to eat what is cheap and readily available. Since the 50's increasingly it has been American food styles and products. The KFC's, the Wendys, the Burger Kings, the Golden Arches. All of which selling junk food which gets knuckle draggers to go back time after time.

They didn't JUST swamp the market, they created a whole new experience, which people tried, and thanks to the product they came back, and the kids had to have it, and they came back, and now they have arses as wide as the Bronx Bridge, and heart conditions, to match.

I wouldn't be so sure about paleo magnitute matey you may have many metric tonnes more stuff, but you also have 6 times the population. Remember up until just a few days ago we were getting unhindered food stuff... all non GMO from Europe, and that will continue until December. The Brexit fiasco may make that more of a problem after that, but we don't just eat what WE produce.

#8 Feb 07, 2020 6:08 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

The public may be stupid, they may be ill informed, they may not have the slightest idea as to what they are consuming, but they are victims of advertising, and misinformation from manufacturing interest groups. You cannot write that off with your haughty it's THEIR responsibility.

Luckily they have enlightened people like you with a well-formed sense of noblesse oblige to protect them from themselves. /sarc

Worry about what you eat and let free people be free to live their lives as they wish.

Board footer