You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Feb 11, 2020 1:39 pm

Expat
Active

Coronavirus close

Virus in Brighton, I tell my cousin being 10 miles away is too close... He agrees.

Then they say a doctors surgery has been closed in Brighton due to the doctors being infected.

My cousins daughter goes to that surgery.... It don't get any closer than that.

Luckily she hasn't been there for a while.

UK Advisory:

You should take action if:

You have been to mainland China, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau and have symptoms of cough or fever or shortness of breath within 2 weeks of returning; or
    You have been in contact with someone with a confirmed case of coronavirus and develop symptoms of cough or fever or shortness of breath.

If either of the above apply to you:

Stay indoors and avoid all possible contact with other people
    In England, Scotland and Wales ring 111 (or your GP if in Northern Ireland) and advise them of your recent travel, even if you feel entirely well.
    Follow their advice and do not leave your home until you been given advice by a clinician.
    Do not use a taxi or public transport if you are advised to go to hospital.
    Do not visit your GP - they do not have facilities in place to isolate you and prevent transmission of the infection to others.

Last edited by Expat (Feb 11, 2020 1:44 pm)

#2 Feb 11, 2020 2:01 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Coronavirus close

That's pretty close for comfort. Hope all your people stay safe Expat. This thing is no joke now.

#3 Feb 11, 2020 8:50 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Still none in Iowa.  Two were tested at University Hospitals 12 miles from my house but came up negative.

#4 Feb 12, 2020 12:10 pm

piratejenny
Active

IMHO, with news of the spread of the coronavirus, as different from the flu, you can tell the news reports trying to be kept within bounds by authorities like the US Center for Disease Control. Alas, one can tell how close we are to panic even if the cases are distant. The feeling of panic is a horrible thing to the psyche. Remember that in the Great Pandemic there were increased conspiracy theories, xenophobia and wild rumors. Horror upon horrors if the Great Orange One furthers the panic, as he has already done with FEAR. It frightens me to hear of a case in Brighton close by you Expat. Folks, stay close to home and wash your hands, even if you grew up rarely washing your hands - get in the habit.

#5 Feb 12, 2020 1:26 pm

Expat
Active

As long as it is not in Grenada I aint worried, if it is I am definitely worried, firstly because poor little Grenada wont be able to cope with a full on pandemic. Secondly the likelihood of transmission is high.

Everybody everywhere needs to just keep their distance, and think of it as a bad flue you don't want, and don't want to give to anyone else.

If a member of the local population gets it then first thing to happen should be all schools close, as surely we all know illnesses are spread among children quicker than the speed of light. Kiddy gets a brush, passes it on to Granny, Granny dies. It seems to me this is just a nasty bug that while it has killed over a 1000, for most healthy people it is not a problem, so no need for panic, just an abundance of caution.

Last edited by Expat (Feb 12, 2020 1:30 pm)

Board footer