You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Mar 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Real Distwalker

Maccaw

I took this in Florida last week with my new Pentax K-1 and an optical zoom lens.  Would you believe I was at least 20 feet away?

maccaw.jpg

#2 Mar 21, 2017 8:35 am

Slice

Re: Maccaw

Folks still use stand alone cameras?  That must be ah sweet camera. colors are very vibrant and extremely detailed.  What the hell ah know about pics.

#3 Mar 21, 2017 8:58 am

Real Distwalker

Slice wrote:

Folks still use stand alone cameras?

People who are serious about photography do. You couldn't take a photo like that with any smart phone in existence.

#4 Mar 21, 2017 9:28 am

Real Distwalker

This is my camera...

https://petapixel.com/2016/02/17/pentax … rame-dslr/

pentaxk1diagonal.jpg

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Mar 21, 2017 9:30 am)

#5 Mar 21, 2017 10:55 am

Slice

Sweet.  Now ah wonder how Brian feels about that piece of equipment.  That is ah nice one.

#6 Mar 22, 2017 7:40 pm

Expat

Now that IS a nice shot, and you know I don't very often actually complement a picture.

Taken with a zoom with a very low fstop to give you the rear blurring.

Fine detail for sure.

As your camera body is nearly 5 times the price of mine, I would hope it would be "special".

It has 36Mpix as compared to my 18, so I would guess your files will now be horrendously large.

Personally I take in RAW, and fine tune off the camera. More work, more filing, but at least you can get the best out of the shot rather than letting the camera "think" for you, and in my case have a focussing choice I do not want. My camera doesn't allow you single point focus on auto.

Now all you have to do is to find images to take worthy of the expense.... wink

#7 Mar 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Real Distwalker

Thank you for the kind words.

Expat wrote:

Now all you have to do is to find images to take worthy of the expense.... wink

That really is the challenge, isn't it?

#8 Mar 28, 2017 11:09 pm

Expat

Real Distwalker wrote:
Slice wrote:

Folks still use stand alone cameras?

People who are serious about photography do. You couldn't take a photo like that with any smart phone in existence.

I used to be quite an enthusiast.... especially with the advent of digital photography, but losing about half of a 1Tb drive of photos kinda knocked the wind out of my sails.

I had intended to almost do a docusnap of many parts of Grenada, but time constraints and laziness took over. Plus with Grenada being so rugged it is hard to get many Vistas other than looking out to sea. which gets a bit samy. New luxury homes aren't worth the effort.... nothing arty about them, and how many character pictures of a semi derelict jenny house can you take.

Changing from film to Digital has increased the load you have to drag around exponentially, as digital lenses are inherently much heavier as they need more glass to straighten out the image to complement the ccd. At my advanced age, fiddling around with a 400mm lens aint a joke.

Having had a very competent artist for a father and having gleaned some understanding of proportion and perspective, not to mention golden mean etc, I don't take hundreds of photos .... and end up wondering why I bothered to bring the camera at all. I guess it saves filling up the recycle bin, and still ending up with nothing worth keeping.... smile

At least we do get some pretty decent photo's of family... I tend not to cut off peoples feet.... smile

Board footer