You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Mar 03, 2020 12:52 pm

Expat
Active

Is Covid19 overdone

More people die at a higher percentage with the regular flue, yet the world doesn't close down for seasonal flue.

#2 Mar 03, 2020 1:57 pm

houston
Active

Re: Is Covid19 overdone

I agree that it could be, but hard to say with all the conflicting information we're getting at this point.
It does seem to be highly contagious and spreading rapidly. Yet mainly among the elderly and as Slice says, those with underlying health conditions.

https://www.healthing.ca/diseases-and-c … to-predict

#3 Mar 03, 2020 2:19 pm

New Historian
Active

It's not so much the current infection and death rates that's troubling the scientists - it's what it could become. The fatality rate is about 3.5%, and heading northwards, that's high. Not like Ebola, but high. What spreads this one is travel, and personal proximity. God help us if that thing leggo in Greenz: dog nyam we supper!

#4 Mar 03, 2020 4:13 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Correction: The death rate is 3.5% of those tested positive.  I think it is likely that there are millions already infected who have either few or no symptoms and who will self medicate and recover.  That would mean the actual death rate is very small.

#5 Mar 03, 2020 4:17 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Correction: The death rate is 3.5% of those tested positive.  I think it is likely that there are millions already infected who have either few or no symptoms and who will self medicate and recover.  That would mean the actual death rate is very small.

And plenty of them will just "mysteriously die" as well, without anyone knowing why. Anyway you look at it, the boffins (scientists) are scared shitless, and if they're scared shitless, I'm "a tad concerned".

#6 Mar 03, 2020 7:18 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I liked it better when you were poo-pooing it as needless alarmism.

#7 Mar 03, 2020 8:11 pm

Expat
Active

I think we need to gird our loins with garlic, bathe in Grenadian Methylated spirits , dose ourselves in olbas oil and rub with Nutmed oil,  and hope for the best. Or just get out the Jack Iron, and spend oblivion waiting for the guy with the sickle.

Board footer