You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Mar 25, 2020 11:20 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: The Cost of CV in America

Again, everyone in America can afford insurance.  The poor get it for free.  Low income people get a subsidy.  Wealthier people pay full boat.

Can the rich get better service?  Sure.  In the US and everywhere else in the world.

#12 Mar 26, 2020 12:33 am

houston
Active

In Canada you wait your turn in line like everyone else.
If you can afford better and quicker treatment, you go to the U.S and pay top dollar.
No tiered medical service here as of yet.

#13 Mar 26, 2020 9:18 am

Slice
Active

So it is ah mixed of both.  Remember that Italy have one of the best health care system in the world. I am in favor of the Obama care model. I doh tink ah want ah heath care system that is run by the government.  If the government take over the heath system it will be ah complete mess.

Social security, which is ran by the government is ah complete mess. Motor vehicle administration( MVA), which is also run by local governments is another mess. The water system in  Baltimore City and also Baltimore county are ran by the city of Baltimore, and that also is ah big mess.

I hate the idea of the government running the Health care system. I agree that everyone in every country should have health care, but not run by the governments.

According to RD, allyu foreigners doh know the real story. RD most likely can go to any hospital and pay his bill, but he too is not telling the whole story.

#14 Mar 26, 2020 9:28 am

Real Distwalker
Active

In the United States...

All people over 65 get government insurance.

All poor people who enroll get government insurance.

All lower income people get government subsidies based on income to pay for insurance.

More than 80 percent of families have employer paid insurance.

#15 Mar 26, 2020 4:24 pm

Slice
Active

Me mother-in law, she is 90someting and also me muma, and ah see the kinda services they gets. Free supplies, free food, free nurses.  Today me mother in law had ah video, conference call with her doc, because she cant go visit him.

#16 Mar 26, 2020 4:43 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

In the United States...

All people over 65 get government insurance.

All poor people who enroll get government insurance.

All lower income people get government subsidies based on income to pay for insurance.

More than 80 percent of families have employer paid insurance.

That does seem like good and fair coverage.
I confess that I'm not fully aware of how the medical system works in the U.S.
Was working down in the Windsor area for the last couple of days. When I mentioned to my buddy who lives in Windsor that there had been quite an increase of cases and deaths in the state of Michigan, his explanation was that it was due to the lack of access to proper health care for many.
That got into my head and I made an unfair comment without the proper understanding.

#17 Mar 26, 2020 4:52 pm

houston
Active

Slice wrote:

So it is ah mixed of both.  Remember that Italy have one of the best health care system in the world. I am in favor of the Obama care model. I doh tink ah want ah heath care system that is run by the government.  If the government take over the heath system it will be ah complete mess.

Social security, which is ran by the government is ah complete mess. Motor vehicle administration( MVA), which is also run by local governments is another mess. The water system in  Baltimore City and also Baltimore county are ran by the city of Baltimore, and that also is ah big mess.

I hate the idea of the government running the Health care system. I agree that everyone in every country should have health care, but not run by the governments.

According to RD, allyu foreigners doh know the real story. RD most likely can go to any hospital and pay his bill, but he too is not telling the whole story.

No medical system is perfect that's for sure.
Ours here has many holes and it's been getting worse for the last 20 years or so.

#18 Mar 26, 2020 4:53 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

So here is the dirty little secret that nobody wants to come out and say.  Everybody can be insured in the US but everyone isn't.  Why is that?  Because you have to be proactive.  You have to sign up.  In Canada and the UK, they take care of that for you.  In the US, you have to fill out the forms.

So the reality isn't that insurance in the US isn't affordable, it is that people don't bother to sign up.  It is either that, or they don't want to even pay the subsidized rate.  So they don't have insurance until they are sick.   That's the problem.

#19 Mar 26, 2020 5:03 pm

houston
Active

Interesting, it doesn't surprise me that some people wouldn't even take on the responsibility of signing themselves up...that's crazy.

#20 Mar 26, 2020 5:16 pm

houston
Active

The current set up looks pretty good.
Does it vary from state to state?
Not sure what Obama care was all about, but why all the fuss over that?
A simple explanation wouldn't easy over such a conflicting issue.

Board footer