You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Apr 26, 2020 11:09 am

New Historian
Active

Skool daze

For us boys, growing up in Port-of-Spain was pretty darn close to idyllic. We lived in a two-storey house on Gordon Street in Saint Augustine, next to the UWI campus. The three of us would roam far and wide, playing with the neighbourhood kids and getting into trouble. My best friend Brian Ferreira lived next door, and his little sister Gracie was my girlfriend, we’d even swapped chewing gum to seal the deal. Every day an old man called Ripe Fig would ride past our house on his rickety old bicycle, with a gaggle of giggling children running after him shouting: “Ripe Fig! Ripe Fig!” Then he’d get off his bike, leggo a long fart, get on his bike and pedal off, leaving a gang of children dying in the road behind him!

Carbide, a raw material used in the manufacture of explosives, exists in abundance in Trinidad, and every boy will learn how to make a rudimentary mini-bomb. I forget the details, but you needed an old tin of Lyle’s Golden Syrup, a piece of soft carbide rock, lots of spit, strike a match, stand back, and … BOOM!

I remember Christmas, when my eldest brother Gerry got a bicycle, which middle brother Tommy promptly crashed and broke. I remember sitting on my father’s lap, steering his MG Magnette along the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway. I remember being scared shitless, him lifting me onto a wildly rocking boat, at night. I remember us coming across a dead anaconda that some villagers had killed one night, and the snake was as long as three American cars in a row. I remember Maracas Beach, and our dog Simba getting run over by a car, and our father throwing his body down a ravine.

Is like de Sparrow song: School daze were happy, happy daze!

And then, it all changed. Overnight.

#2 Apr 26, 2020 4:13 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Skool daze

Good stuff!

#3 Apr 27, 2020 8:51 am

Slice
Active

Wait you ah FRIGGING! Trini; so, wha the hell you doing in our beautiful Grenada.  Take your ARSE back to crime ridden T&T. (lol)

#4 Apr 27, 2020 9:02 am

Slice
Active

Slice wrote:

Wait you ah FRIGGING! Trini; so, wha the hell you doing in our beautiful Grenada.  Take your ARSE back to crime ridden T&T. (lol)

Lord the good ole days.  Wish ah had ah girlfriend in me school days.  It was work, work, work for us. The cricket field was close to our house. not dat close but close enough.  We use to play Windball cricket.  When the captain of the teams pick their side, I was the last to get picked or never got picked at all.

The reason being they were afraid that maybe as soon as come to bat, me grand muma would call me to feed the pig, donkey, cow, chicken or make ah run to the shop.

From our house to the cricket field was about two American blocks, but ah could  still hear that voice blowing in the wind.  Once you hear it you better run to her, or else blows in me ARSE.

Even now when ah talking to me PADNAHS, they does say Slice you ent know Grenada, and you just doh know Grenadian people, you grand muma, never let you go no way.

Lord she was strict.

Last edited by Slice (Apr 27, 2020 9:09 am)

#5 Apr 27, 2020 11:24 am

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:

"Scratch a Trini, you'll find a Grenadian underneath!" They all have some Grenadian connection.

#6 Apr 27, 2020 3:27 pm

Slice
Active

You right about that. Wifee, was conceived in Grenada, plus she grand pupa is ah Spiceman.

Board footer